best machine for working clay??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shannon

Shannon
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering what peoples experiences are with working clay?? got a spot i want to work but has lots of clay, my last trip with the highbanker wasn't too successful as its a very sticky clay. wondering if a trommel would be a better idea?? any help would be great guys :)

shannon said:
Hey guys, just wondering what peoples experiences are with working clay?? got a spot i want to work but has lots of clay, my last trip with the highbanker wasn't too successful as its a very sticky clay. wondering if a trommel would be a better idea?? any help would be great guys :)

hi mate, check out a topic called "my clay sampler", give you some idea's!

scott :cool:

U can use a 44 gallon drum cut in half, place clay in and churn. I used a cement mixer with a few lengths of chain. The chain help stop clay balls forming, also adding gypsom help speed up things.

Here's my two bob's worth on the subject of puddling stubborn clay:-
Recently I brought home 3 buckets
of wash from our NE Tas gold fields
( 30 litres vol total ) & processed it 10 ltrs at a time in a 20 ltr bucket using a pressure washer, a flat stirring stick to break up the large clay lumps and a
1/4 inch sieve to strain the material through into the gold pan once most of the clay has dissolved & been poured off. Any remaining clay lumps can be returned to the bucket for further processing.I find that hot water helps to speed things up a bit. Essential PPE is strong rubber
gloves & safety glasses.
I managed to recover 0.8gms Au from my 30 ltrs of wash.
Cheers, Fox

A trommel is the quickest and easiest way to process clay, as long as the trommel your using can retain the clays long enough to break it up.
A few big rocks thrown in the mix also helps to break it up

maybe a set of sieves with a shaft through the middle with plastic fan blades mounted in each sieve could be a future idea :lol:

Latest posts