Bendigo Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all, Ive only been in the hobby for a few months and I know alot of ppl dont like to share info which is cool, I understand that. However if someone could point me in the right direction of a creek or 2 that has proven gold I would be grateful.
Thanks in Advance

Hi everyone,

Two friends and myself are heading to Bendigo tomorrow. We spoke to Brad from Aussie Detecting
and we are hiring 3 detectors from him.

We have no idea where to go, could someone head us in the right direction?

-Daniel

Brad will help you with that a bit . IM just getting out my map of bendigo I'll see what I can find

Show'd me a great campsite for the night....almost placed an "x" on the ground and left....His .."x" was a little bit off... cause i got a nice little 3 gramer but it was at least 20 meters away.....your slipping Brad....lol Cheers Wal. ;)

We had a great day out in Bendigo, it was a lot of fun learning how to use detectors and digging up bullets and nails.

Brad was very helpful and friendly, definitely recommend him to anyone heading that direction.

im going to bendigo nexts sunday and looking for places to go on the north side of bendigo and may be meat same of you for forum and hope everone that went to tuena and fond same gold and learnt a lot

Trying for some more gos on the do's and don'ts of detecting around Bendigo. Been to the Dept of many name changes and have the do's for the Nat Park. And had a chinwag with the ranger that looks after the Crusoe Res area. Crusoe def off limits but other areas nearby ok. But what about the areas like Eaglehawk on out through Maiden Gully and beyond? Everybody says the Whipstick but you gotta have a dog, tie it to your car and have it trained to bark so you can find your way back outta that scrub. GPS the go out there, 'til the batteries run flat and if you don't have spares (left in the glovebox) can be fun guessing where you are. Wouldn't mind giving some of the other places a go, if it's legal to do so.

Mozzie - do you have John Tullys map book 'Whipstick Maps'? Bendigo Gold should have them. There are also Doug Stones two maps.

North of Eaglehawk - yes. Several very long leads -Sydney Flat etc. All legal spots (crown land)

Maiden Gully the suburb? You have Derwent, Sparrows and New Zealand Gullies in there. Bit close to civilization for my liking - too much local rubbish but thats common throughout the triangle - closer to towns - more rubbish.

I know what you mean about the whipstick (there are at least 29 varities of trees and shrubs in there). Pretty well anything north of Skylark Rd is patchy at best and usually unremarkable gold country. South heading back to Eaglehawk is ok.

Generally because it all is close to Bendigo it gets a bit of attention from prospectors. Good luck.

Thanks Loamer.. I've got Tully's and the Gold Atlas of Vic. Also use Geovic and, most of all, me eyeballs. Always amazes me that the old boys did so much work and with pick and shovel. I'd be buggered after an hour.
Still keen to have a poke 'round some of these gullies long as I don't get shot. Who knows what's under all the junk?

Maiden Gully? I'd have a look, check for rubbish and then if too bad put a DD on and run iron reject for a while. On my 4500 a setting of 2 or 3 seems to do the trick - I guess the 5000 would be similar. If I hit some colour with the DD then I sort out the mess and then re-hit the same area with a mono. For really bad areas when patch hunting, I carry about a dozen plastic red (pick a colour) tent pegs and mark the ferrous junk - helps in visual gridding. Then move onto the next area. I have heard of people using metal pegs - hmmmmm.

Seen a lot of people with monos walk away from rubbishy sites (myself included) because of the noise. I now always try and carry an 11" DD in my day pack if I head into rubbishy areas. Possibility of carrying a smaller DD I guess.

Had to laugh at your profile list - I noted the missus came last on the list. My grandkids say to me "Pop - you have three great loves in your life - us, VB and Collingwood FC and not necessarily in that order'.

Thanks again Loamer. Good advice. I'll start with the DD and, depending on the junk, swap out and re-hit later. Probably spend most of me time grinding me teeth. I use the little plastic floor tile spacers in red or yellow. Big enough to spot and small enough that you could pack 100 without noticing. Not that I do cause once I'm finished I take the buggers with me. Coupla dozen in a pocket take up no room.
Collingwood? Oh well, here I was thinkin' you were a good person.

Mozzie - thanks for the tip on the tile spacers - an excellent idea. Masters go them? as for the 'pies - it all adds to my grumpy prospecting street cred. Gives me a reason to be in a bad mood and left alone by my gobby mates. (The blue bagging filth supporters that they are)

Loamer, any of the floor tile joints will have them. Masters should. Look like a little tapered peg 'bout an inch or a bit more long. Come in a few different colours.

thanks mate - I'm off to get some. Just been digging around for you re: Bendigo - there is a book I can recommend that the Bendigo Library is sure to have or get for you:

James Flett - The History of Gold Discovery in Victoria.

Hey Mozz , found a half dozen sub grammers just off Diamond Hill Rd not too long ago if that helps .Kangaroo Flat area i believe .
Cheers Col. ;)

Gees Col, and you're telling me? Thanks for that. Dug a metre deep hole, today, for a handle off an old cooking pot (or some such) out in the Park. Wasn't that fun?