Coffs Harbour Greenhorn

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey there!

My name is Lucy.
I have had a love for all things shiny or beautiful, valuable or not, that the earth has produced at some point in its lifetime.

My father inlaw has been an opal miner in coober Pedy, much longer than I have been around. I completely understand that the hunt is an addiction. Hes 76 and still climbing down mine shafts and blowing s**t up. But he has me hooked on the idea of treasure hunting too.

I first started trying to figure out where I could unearth my own quartz specimens, clear and Smokey as they are both favorites of mine, which led me down the path of researching the land around me. Gold was always discussed and I became obsessed with just the idea of finding a spec of it.

I was gifted a pan and sluice for Christmas and hope to purchase a detector in the coming months.

All these grand plans about being out bush, exploring and digging/ splashing around.
However Ive done F**k all about it.

Im paranoid about where I am and if Im allowed to be there, I look over the maps time and time again but Im pretty useless.
Im also still not completely familiar with the mountains and locations around my home and I dont want to be out in the stix alone without a clue.

So for now Ill sit here excitedly and keep my 28 tabs open, get my permit and wait for the locals to consider me local enough to divulge useful information too, while watching all of your you tube videos :p

Welcome to PA Lucy.... one foot after the other will get you there in the end. :Y:

G'day Lucy welcome to the forum! I think that you'll find people are very helpful in pointing you in the right direction on here (I'm fairly new too) what part of OZ are you situated in at the moment?

Nirvanadirt said:
G'day Lucy welcome to the forum! I think that you'll find people are very helpful in pointing you in the right direction on here (I'm fairly new too) what part of OZ are you situated in at the moment?

Im putting all my money on Coffs Harbour :p

Lmfao yeah I'd say so!! Hahaha there were two "new to" posts I read and then replied to don't know how I mixed that up! I've got some mates that live in Coffs, one owns the food truck that does the bubble tea at the Sunday market.
Was there just after the fires and it was still smokey. Beautiful part of the world!! I do know there are other members that fish off of Coffs and I imagine they do some prospecting too.

We drove inland from there years ago, up some dirt road mountain range... was indeed a lovely place. :perfect:

Nirvanadirt said:
Lmfao yeah I'd say so!! Hahaha there were two "new to" posts I read and then replied to don't know how I mixed that up! I've got some mates that live in Coffs, one owns the food truck that does the bubble tea at the Sunday market.
Was there just after the fires and it was still smokey. Beautiful part of the world!! I do know there are other members that fish off of Coffs and I imagine they do some prospecting too.

:lol:

all good!
I love the markets down at the jetty, always a nice day!

we ended up moving here during the fires, fortunately we weren't in harms way though, so very lucky.
Im still discovering all these amazing places, its never ending. I absolutely love it.
Beats the s**t out of Sydney.
My family are in Thora and Bonville, Im in Boambee. I have a Free day tomorrow so currently trying to figure out where I should spend my time!
although the mention of fishing has got me thinking in 2 minds now! haha

silver said:
Nirvanadirt said:

Im putting all my money on Coffs Harbour :p

you sir, would win.

haha

theres alot of those dirt tracks, we are slowly ticking off the brutal ones. who doesn't like a challenge!? im actually shocked at what a little jimny can tackle!
its odd, we went up a track that was one of the steepest and hardest...we actually ended up losing the lockewrs on the back and had to be given a helping hand up haha but as i stood there looking around, trying not to fall down i thought "id love to detect out here"
but theres no mention of gold near there, and no ones mentioning if there are places you can detect as its supposedly all alluvial.
but this area crosses my mind all the time!

This is Minview of Coffs Harbour surrounds
Looks like they had some nice finds around the area

1612307717_coffs.jpg

Welcome to PA........ Goody has started a Topic on Coffs area... There is not much Gold south of Coffs in the areas you mentioned, more west and north.... If you read the books I mentioned they give you good starting points...

LW

LoneWolf said:
Welcome to PA........ Goody has started a Topic on Coffs area... There is not much Gold south of Coffs in the areas you mentioned, more west and north.... If you read the books I mentioned they give you good starting points...

LW

ive not heard of much where we are, i fully expect to travel so thats no problem!!

i see you are more into your crystals now. Any locations worth visiting in my surrounding areas? id absolutely love to go fossicking for some quartz, have always dreamed of finding a pocket of gorgeous clear or smokey for myself :inlove:

i dont have high hopes, i think theres an area but its about 3 hours out west

Latest posts