Gold Detecting Benalla Goldfields (Reef Hills State Park) Vic

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone I have been hearing that the reef hills has been producing some very nice nuggets, some specimens weighing in at around 15 grams but mostly 2 and 4 grams they have been found with the 7000 and the 5000 and inturn have also found copious amounts of smaller pieces averaging 0.03 of a gram and up. I know first hand that their is plenty of small rough gold to still be had last time I pulled out a gram nugget the last time I sluiced their, should be plenty of water in a dam at bates which is in wrangle gully the same place most of the gold has been found that I speak of, if you do decide to sluice or high bank please run your water back to the dam as water can be scarce in the summer months, A word of caution though it seems to have the same effect on people that the W.A goldfields have and that is they don't take kindly to new comers, and don't worry about the freaky old bloke that has a camp out their just don't let the kids wonder to far no local children have been reported missing that I know of and he has been out there for about 13 years lol anyway back to the gold please let us all know if you to have found gold in the reef hills Benalla...

My days of digging are well over as I have done my fair share especially out there anyway as for being unguarded that was my intent knowing that I have detected thousands of pieces of rubbish from the reefy's but never found gold though it seems the new mine labs are just cleaning everything up so I guess after everyone has been and dug the crap out of it I could probably find the run of gold and find some payable wash that my kids might someday sluice, as for a gold rush lol good luck to them all .no person can put a claim out there so I guess it's each to their own, all I say with all seriousness is stay out of the aboriginal area and be respectful of the heritage and nothing pisses me more than people leaving rubbish so please take it with you..

gday greencheeks ive been there 3 times for a weekend and found nothing ive camped near a dam on the freeway side of the park its just of the main track past a rest area or bbq area lots of bullets and army ones tonnes of mullock hills though only 2 metres deep at the most do you know where im talking about cheers

Hi Phil, I do know where your talking about the barbeque area it is pretty central in the park and has been upgraded and is a great spot to enjoy a feed with the family though if you turn right there not to far around a few bends on the left is where you would probably have a bit more luck, most of the larger gold is found within wash 18 inches from the surface as it has been documented in the past and though it was mainly hard rock mining within the park with large leases that were never by far fully developed as the lease holders were apparently asking way to much for their unproven ground a geologist back in the day said that the mother load still hasn't been found but when it does I will be right there with my 16 horse powered rock crusher crushing away. G'day to you to Hunting The Yellow I myself often wonder why it is that some never look for the source I often ask did you pan the wash that you found that piece in with always the same answer No! and nor do I ever hear of anyone doing it.. I have sluiced, high banked and panned gee I've spent months on end with a microscope out there and mark my words I have never come home with out gold lol oh that is except for the hundreds of times I have detected out there even when I had my brand new out of the box sd2200 I never came home with gold though always a good day none the less. Cheers

1441453937_gold_melt.jpg
1441453128_reefys_gold.jpg
1441451592_crusher.jpg
1441451749_crusher_2.jpg

Here is my crusher I personally built just to show that I have and do and will always chase the colour!! I would enjoy some feedback on it to see wether they would be worth making for a bit of spare cash. Cheers

Hi Greencheeks77 like the look of your crusher, been going to make one for quite a while , got about 50 kg to crush
and was having trouble finding 10-12" pipe for the job, but as you've made your one in segments it's solved my problem
some 75x10 flat will do the job just fine, Thanks for sharing your design also

No probs Greameb54 glad I could be of some help to you and good luck with your first crush hope you get colour..
1441601195_239.jpg
1441601207_169.jpg
1441601221_059.jpg
1441601239_126.jpg
1441601258_002.jpg

Just a few happy snaps from the reefy's over time, my kids and I love to go out just to see what we can find and sometimes we find some really cool tressures, can anyone guess which one of these things were not found in the reef hills ? :cool: Cheers

gday greencheeks is that near wrangle gully where your talking about thats where ive camped right next to a little dam or really a large mullock heap with a big pile next to it and theres sort of a gully in there lots of mullock heaps scattered around cheers

Here is a map so you can find your way around Phil
1441609023_benalla_gold_map.jpeg

And sorry guys as far as I am aware there is strictly NO camping in the park no generators and worst of all no toilets :|

ive done a bit of scratchin round reefys for the last few years cos its only 3km from my place. Havent seen much more than a bit of fine flake and flour in the pan myself but one local has been finding a few nice small nuggs in a few places that I had been told were scratched out, and we locals dont mind anybody coming out there. Meet quite a few nice people and share info and little hotspots. Biggest problems out there now are rubbish dumpers and 4x4 weekend terrorists.

Went for a drive out to Reef Hills today, was looking for a spot for the GPZ 7000?

Seen the ranger and he asked me why is there so much increased prospecting traffic up here lately?
Told him its been posted online about all the gold coming out of Reef Hills. He is contemplating installing parking meters! :rolleyes:

Well thanks green cheeks got 7 bits for 1.79 grams, best day in weeks. :)

1441621521_240.jpg
1441621540_242.jpg
1441621568_243.jpg

sorry Atomrat just had look through my maps and books and nothing just the reefy's and a few other stories like apparently :| an old German prospector had a claim at the reefy's back in the day and he unfortunately was found deceased in his miners hut from natural causes they never found any of his cache of gold ;) :cool:

probably about 14 or 16 years ago Beagleboy their very detailed the only thing is that they are only of Victoria no other states but priceless none the less, I got them from an ol mate who didn't blink twice b4 offering them to me for some guidance ;)

Latest posts