bedourie cook oven

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
junkdog said:
Its new and after some good ways to burn it in they are made from steel, not cast, any ideas ......the word I am after is season ...
Hi just put some cheepe meat a bit of oil some water and a slow fire then leave the fat in wipe all around it
hope this helps But don't get it smoking Hot
mond

You want an oil with a high smoking point ie; grapeseed, wipe it all over the lid and base (inside that is), if you have a bbq use it instead of the oven (if you only have hot plates take them off and rest the lid or base on the flame), crank the heat up and turn so it gets even heat across the entire section your seasoning, wait till it smokes and starts going blue black, remove and wipe down with paper towel till clean-ish, repeat until it has a semi non-stick surface.

It usually takes 3 goes, I like to do the last one with some ghee.

Their not the best for roasting I prefer cast for that but they are excellent for breads and fry pans. If you do use it for roasting don't put it directly on a fire or coals, you'll burn the crap out of whatever's on the bottom. Some might say use a trivet?? I haven't had much luck with it??? ha it rhymes

It's all about experimenting, you'll get the hang of it.

Is it enamel lined on the inside, the ones I've used have been and didn't need to be seasoned /sealed. As Paul01 said don't put it directly on the coals I hang the one I use which works at treat. I noticed your in NSW might be worth finding out any companies that coat cooking gear with none stick surfacing and see what the cost is. I know places in Vic but not NSW.

Latest posts