Newbie looking for advice

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H.G

Reaction score
Thanks for the ad.
How would someone go about having a go with a detector and some learning advice. I’ve got acsess to a location that is mentioned here twice before with‘ unfortunately it’s private land‘.
Would love to give it a go, tried some panning with limited success.
But just for a try I can’t buy a detector nor can I afford one.
But I am also worried that if I invite people that If the word got out I get trespassers or worse- and some other worries..
Maybe I am overthinking?

Welcome! I'm sure a member can help you figure out what you need.

If you have any questions about using thr software please let me know.

Thanks for the ad.
How would someone go about having a go with a detector and some learning advice. I’ve got acsess to a location that is mentioned here twice before with‘ unfortunately it’s private land‘.
Would love to give it a go, tried some panning with limited success.
But just for a try I can’t buy a detector nor can I afford one.
But I am also worried that if I invite people that If the word got out I get trespassers or worse- and some other worries..
Maybe I am overthinking?
My advice with private property is to always err on the side of caution. Unless it's a "pay to prospect" type property I definitely wouldn't put any specific details about a private property on the forum or an open invitation to go there.

It would probably be better for you to let members know your general area & that way any nearby member/s could help, if able to, with detecting, panning etc. but until you get to know them I'd suggest meeting somewhere on public property first.

Thanks Mbasko,

That’s sort of what I feel.
How to find the right people?
There is several reasons and liabilities why I am hesitant to invite people, and I never would give a public, general invitation.

But then how to meet the right people?

Is it possible to hire detectors?

Thanks Mbasko,

That’s sort of what I feel.
How to find the right people?
There is several reasons and liabilities why I am hesitant to invite people, and I never would give a public, general invitation.

But then how to meet the right people?

Is it possible to hire detectors?
Most detector shops have hire machines available. A Minelab SDC2300 would be your best bet - simple to use and highly effective.

First thing to consider is having a machine that actually works and is dead easy to operate = Minelab 2300
Hire or Buy?
Buy a used one and when you are finished with it (if ever) just resell it, you get most of your money back.
That would probably work out cheaper than hiring one plus also take the pressure off having to rush things.

First thing to consider is having a machine that actually works and is dead easy to operate = Minelab 2300
Hire or Buy?
Buy a used one and when you are finished with it (if ever) just resell it, you get most of your money back.
That would probably work out cheaper than hiring one plus also take the pressure off having to rush things.
Thanks I look into it!
I have no shop around here, so renting is a bit of a headache too..

Latest posts