Beach hunt with minelab x-terra 705

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Sorry if i sound like an amateur but i went to the beach today and i found that at some areas the detector was giving off all sorts of numbers. I scooped some sand and waved the detector over the hole and the sand i pulled out but no sound. What could cause this?

The 705 doesn't behave very nicely in wet sand - you need to turn the sensitivity down quite a bit and expect falsing to occur if you bump the coil ... Eventually you get used to what is falsing and what is a good signal. You are looking for a nice repeatable sound ... Sometimes the numbers go screwy if you are over a target made up of a couple of different metal types, or multiple targets but by pinpointing you should be able to work out if there are two targets.

If a target disappears sometimes it has fallen further in the hole or changed position - in that case I continue shovelling a couple of more scoops to see if I can snag it which I usually do.

Paulmarr said:
The 705 doesn't behave very nicely in wet sand - you need to turn the sensitivity down quite a bit and expect falsing to occur if you bump the coil ... Eventually you get used to what is falsing and what is a good signal. You are looking for a nice repeatable sound ... Sometimes the numbers go screwy if you are over a target made up of a couple of different metal types, or multiple targets but by pinpointing you should be able to work out if there are two targets.

If a target disappears sometimes it has fallen further in the hole or changed position - in that case I continue shovelling a couple of more scoops to see if I can snag it which I usually do.

Paulmarr, what sensitivity level are we talking about? 10?

It really depends on how wet the sand is. If your near the water then I would put it around 10. Keeping in mind that if you bump the ground it will still false. Are you using he DD coil? If you chexk out my YouTube channel there is an old video on what I used at the beach. I found it went really deep in dry sand and semi wet sand too

Sa_bogan said:
It really depends on how wet the sand is. If your near the water then I would put it around 10. Keeping in mind that if you bump the ground it will still false. Are you using he DD coil? If you chexk out my YouTube channel there is an old video on what I used at the beach. I found it went really deep in dry sand and semi wet sand too

I was using the 9" 7.5 kHz concentric coil. So DD ay, ill give it a go next weekend. Ive watched a few of your videos but ill go back and check them out. Thanks Sa_Bogan!

But remember the DD is NOT waterproof. However the DD is also my prefered coil on the Xterra.

Latest posts