Back Yard Mining

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So what does a prospector with and excavator do if they know they are on top of a deep lead in gold country?

I had to dig a pit to dispose of some livestock carcases, I figured that if I'm going to dig a big hole I may as well chase the bedrock.

1425508313_20150303_162703.jpg

Photos can be deceptive this hole is approx. 12 foot deep and 2.5m square, I jumped in to look at the dirt at the bottom and could stand with my arms raised and my fingertips were still below the surface. This is the limit of depth my excavator can go.
Getting out of the hole was interesting!

So when you dig hole and fill it with another object you have dirt left over, right. I made sure the dirt at the bottom was not put back in the hole ;)

1425508761_20150303_162656.jpg

There was a lot more than this pic shows, but I wanted a close up to show the type of material.
I decided to run the trusty GP over it however was getting soo much electrical interference it was useless.........then figured I'd do a test pan.
Let me just say clay is a b1tch! It took over 30 mins to break the clay down.

1425509067_20150304_150624.jpg

What was left is very typical of the type of gold bearing gravels for this area. Now I have to make a tool to break the clay down to process the other 2 cubic meters.

Old bath tub or similar.
Put about a foot of material in it.
2 or 3 cups of a suitable liquid soap in.
Blast the crap out of it with a hose.
let it settle then pan away.
Having a plug hole in one end is very handy.
Basically puddling with a bit of modern help. :D
If I found a good amount of Gold, I would talk to your neighbors and offer them a free service disposing of dead animals. :lol:

Got plenty of old bath tubs that I used in a aquaponics concept green house but was thinking of using a clay breaker-wetting agent will give the dish liquid a go first. Fair amount of pipe clay in there.

I believe there is another meter of pay gravel below the depth I was at but couldn't get any deeper with my excavator. If I do get some colour out of it I'll be digging another hole for sure.

In a known gold bearing area with wash like that I would be going mad.
Also looks like a false bottom as well.
Pipe clay with a bit of brute force and soap does break down easily.
You have all the gear there better than the old fellers had so good luck with it all. :) :)

Used a little Kobelco 5 ton excavator, Great little machine.
If a chook dies and I have to bury it I'll be borrowing one of the relo's 20 ton excavator. Foxes are cunning and will dig deep to get a dead chook.

Off into town for 50m of poly so I can move water.

Wintersnake said:
Used a little Kobelco 5 ton excavator, Great little machine.
If a chook dies and I have to bury it I'll be borrowing one of the relo's 20 ton excavator. Foxes are cunning and will dig deep to get a dead chook.

Off into town for 50m of poly so I can move water.

Funny bugger. A 12 foot deep hole to bury a chooken sounds legit. :D

Gday wintersnake, it looks like a few more livestock funerals coming up, when come over I will bring some road kill with me and we can have a special servic for it.
"NUDGE,NUDGE, WINK, WINK, SAY NO MORE" ;) :D

The dam does need an extra Mega litre and I have had to fight through tree roots today, just saying. :)
Not to worried about claim jumpers, let me put it this way. The sheep didn't die of natural causes.

Got my 50m of class 12 poly and fittings, ended up with a couple of meters spare so am happy with that.
1425541008_20150305_151229.jpg

Also borrowed a trencher and got the poly in the ground and hooked up.
1425541178_20150305_150054.jpg

Tomorrow I'll set up the bath tubs and assorted hoses etc.

The road kill idea sounds good.
Got a suggestion. :cool:
How about a members meetup and we all bring a trailer/boot full of road kill. ;)
Only take a week or two to dispose of the carcases. :D

Tathradj said:
The road kill idea sounds good.
Got a suggestion. :cool:
How about a members meetup and we all bring a trailer/boot full of road kill. ;)
Only take a week or two to dispose of the carcases. :D
Road Kill Cemetery. :lol:

Latest posts