Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be a great mystery to solve for treasure hunters, although only a survey ship, Proserpine wasn't even on the map, and for years cannonballs and silver and coin washed up on the beach at Long Island resort. She washed up miles away from where she became distressed during a cyclone, being Cape Gloucester (Hide Away Bay, Dingo Beach, Bowen). Only discovered in 1983.

http://oceans1.customer.netspace.net.au/qld-wrecks.html

That website will reveal lots of treasure. I really like shipwrecks, and the stories around them. A favourite haunt of ours as kids, Armitt Island has a ghost, we used to scare each other silly camping. A British naval Lieutenant emerges from the water and walks the beach for a bit. The first accounts coincide, with this.

This must have been too hard, Whoops, sorry crew, the ships name was the HMS Valetta. I remember walking over it a lot when working for Club Croc in the early 1990s. There is now virtually nothing left, however a lot of stuff over the years has washed up around the Whitsundays, including our sailor.

THE VALETTA., Captain Dacre. Beached near Cape Gloucester, near Bowen, Queensland, after striking rocks, July 1825. There are conflicting reports concerning her ultimate fate. One suggests she was abandoned after attempts had been made for three weeks to repair her. Another states she was refloated only to be lost at the Pelew Islands about a year later. While surveying the Whitsunday Islands in 1848, a seine net snagged on the remains of an old ship lying off the head of Port Molle. The net was manned by sailors from HMS Rattlesnake, under Captain Owen Stanley. Cannon balls were picked up on the nearby beach and coins and cutlery found on Long Island. Aborigines said the ship went back several generations. In June 1983 however the wreck was identified as being that of the Valetta, Sydney to Manilla, 1825. [LQ],[HH2],[ASW1]

Whitsun (also Whitsunday, Whit Sunday or Whit) is the name used in the UK for the Christian festival of Pentecost, the seventh Sunday after Easter, which commemorates the descent of the Holy Spirit upon Christ's disciples (Acts of the Apostles chapter 2). In England it took on some characteristics of Beltane, which originated from the pagan celebration of Summer's Day, the beginning of the summer half-year, in Europe

A Hamburg electrical contractor made unemployed during the Weimar-period Depression, he left Germany to seek work in the Cypriot copper mines, departing from Ulm and travelling south via the Danube. En route, he changed plan and decided to "see the world"

who am i and what did i do

An absolute nut case. Set out in a folding kayak.
Followed the route you described the came to Australia, became interned for the period of the war then went to Lightening Ridge as an opal cutter & finished in Sydney as an opal merchant. Later movintg to killcare with his lady.

Origin of the word is German, Waltzing refers to learning a new job or a skill, whilst moving place to place. Common word used by German immigrants. The word matilda evolved over time, meaning from Battle maiden a warm blanket for a soldier to snuggle in. The ocker meaning though is Hobo.

A travelling Hobo. Travelling for work with your world on your back.

A bit more of our history from this town; Hamilton Island as we know it now, was built by Whom? and what year did Hamilton Island the original resort burn to the ground?

LOL! If only you could put a metal detector over it.... the scariest runway in Australia.... especially when there are high cross winds on approach. Seeing those airbuses and 737s wobble. Hand me a barf bag lol

GoldCheddar2005 said:
LOL! If only you could put a metal detector over it.... the scariest runway in Australia.... especially when there are high cross winds on approach. Seeing those airbuses and 737s wobble. Hand me a barf bag lol

Love taking off from Hamilton island. Thrilling :D

Latest posts