Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And no I am NOT smoking anything, very common on Eastern particularly northern, small amounts may relieve a toothache, however large amounts will kill you. Very useful for stinging nettles too in particularly the heart shaped one, and most times the remedy is growing very close by.

Bazza got it. Farmers Friend is the one.

I'm surprised that Bathurst burr was not mentioned

The most difficult women were sent to female factories, which were forced labour camps. Here they continued to be educated about the virtues of morality. At the Cascades Female Factory in 1838, the moralising became too much for the women and they decided to make a point. The governor of Van Diemens Land visited the factory and attended a service in the chapel. Entertaining the governor was the Reverend William Bedford; a morals campaigner whose hypocrisy had elicited the lady's scorn. Keen to impress the governor with a fine speech, the Bedford addressed the women from an elevated dais, then:

"the three hundred women turned right around and at one impulse pulled up their clothes showing their naked posteriors which they simultaneously smacked with their hands making a loud and not very musical noise. This was the work of a moment, and although constables, warders etc. were there in plenty, yet 300 women could not well be all arrested and tried for such an offence and when all did the same act the ringleaders could not be picked out."

Correct but I had it at 1832 - I will have to find a harder one next time

"In 1832, 300 female Convicts at the Cascade Female Factory mooned the Governor of Tasmania during a chapel service. It was said that in a "rare moment of collusion with the Convict women, the ladies in the Governor's party could not control their laughter."

Over to the Duck

It was built in 1901 on the site of an earlier town hall. It is fronted by historic cannons which were built in 1859 and 1861 at Newcastle in England. Probably used at a fort on Port Phillip Bay until 1901 they are still fired each year on Australia Day

Latest posts