Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great Idea, Duck.

Now RJ ... that's a puzzler. I don't have time to trawl for an answer, but reckon it might have something to do with 2 or three generations of postmen with the same name?

I don't know the answer but discovered that this postman has been wearing the same clothes for 27 years! His cat is 27 too...must be a record!
1393404955_image.jpg

Was it the Cambridges of Windsor?

The Cumberland Argus and Fruit Growers Advocate reported in November 1915 that Tom Cambridge had been postman for 24 years, his father had held the post for 26 years, and his grandfather for 24 years before that. That's not quite 90 years, but given that Tom was still in the job at the time of writing, it is possible it was that family.

Further research shows that they were all called Tom, too, and Tom the third retired in 1925, after forty years of service, so that would make three Tom Cambridges for a total of 90 years. This was in the Sydney Morning Herald, which may have been a but more accurate about Tom III's service than the Argus.

I found a reference to an Irish case where a bloke, his dad and grandpappy had been postmen at the same office for over 100 years, but of course this is the Australian history thread!

Surely someone has read this book! It was published in 1966 by an Australian journalist, and is a semi fictional account of his adventures as an inexperienced prospector teaming up with a very knowledgeable mate. A lot of the story is based around the south of NSW. A great story, with plenty of useful information...

Well whomever get this right will win a small specie(quartz with Gold in it) we have past 200000 views and all i can say is thanks to all the members who have contributed their knowledge and time to the forum
We have a great group of people on this forum and a special thanks to Nugget and the other Moderators for making it possible and enjoyable
Who ever gets this right PM me with your address and i will send it to you

Latest posts