Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I will give it to you goldierocks.... You sort of got it.. ;)

Emmaville NSW... Birth place of the first Medical fund in NSW....
From Wikki,
Tin was first discovered on Strathbogie Station in 1872 and the settlement was called Vegetable Creek after the Chinese market gardens which developed to service the mining population. Being a private township it was never notified or proclaimed as a town or village. The population of the area in the early 1900s was about 7,000 and included 2,000 Chinese people. It was renamed in 1882 after the wife of the then state Governor Lord Augustus Loftus. The name Vegetable Creek is preserved in the name of the local 17-bed hospital.

Emmaville established the first medical fund in New South Wales, with aim of keeping a doctor in town and to build a hospital. In 1891, lectures were given at the hospital and the St John Ambulance Brigade was formed as a result of this.

Something else about Emmaville, The Hospital will Never close.. No matter what the State or Federal Governments do... This was done by a local resident who gave the Government several $MIL to keep the name of the Hospital and to keep it open before he Died... :koala:

LW....

The first (initial) name given to the place was named after his assumed name (it is his real name that I want, not his assumed name or the two names of the goldfields). One mine there produced approaching 2 million ounces.

LoneWolf said:
Ok I will give it to you goldierocks.... You sort of got it.. ;)

Emmaville NSW... Birth place of the first Medical fund in NSW....
From Wikki,
Tin was first discovered on Strathbogie Station in 1872 and the settlement was called Vegetable Creek after the Chinese market gardens which developed to service the mining population. Being a private township it was never notified or proclaimed as a town or village. The population of the area in the early 1900s was about 7,000 and included 2,000 Chinese people. It was renamed in 1882 after the wife of the then state Governor Lord Augustus Loftus. The name Vegetable Creek is preserved in the name of the local 17-bed hospital.

Emmaville established the first medical fund in New South Wales, with aim of keeping a doctor in town and to build a hospital. In 1891, lectures were given at the hospital and the St John Ambulance Brigade was formed as a result of this.

Something else about Emmaville, The Hospital will Never close.. No matter what the State or Federal Governments do... This was done by a local resident who gave the Government several $MIL to keep the name of the Hospital and to keep it open before he Died... :koala:

LW....

Was getting there. Was thinking St George, or old Grand United. Then narrowing down the hospitals. Well done Goldierocks

LoneWolf said:
I was Established to look after the local miners ... ;)

LW....
I'm a bit dubious about the Emmaville history (Readers Digest seems to be the source). Tin was only discovered there in 1872, the Chinese market gardeners then came and it was called Vegetable Creek because of them. I see the council also claims that St Johns Ambukance started there (it started in England, then elsewhere in NSW, then Emmaville got a branch).

https://www.aussietowns.com.au/town/emmaville-nsw says:

"1881 saw the first Medical Benefits fund in Australia created in the town"
A number of medical funds had been present in Australia from the 1840s, and a great number existed prior to the 1880s.

Still, it is a good story....

It is the person's real name that I am after - and it is not Lefroy. The town's second (later) name suggested it was sort of heaven.

Also know as Edward Macclesfield or Edward Randel. Wahalla The creak still bears the stringer name

Latest posts