Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I hope so, the clues are thin on the ground, somewhere between thehigh country and the South Pole, maybe Tassie and the little hydro at Cataract Gorge or in the tassie highlands."

Yes, now you are in the right state, so which is it and what is first about it? (I'm being a bit tough on this because Tasmania is full of Hydro schemes and many could count as firsts).

How about this

Duck reach power station

Duck Reach Power Station was the first publicly owned hydro-electric plant in the Southern Hemisphere, and provided the Tasmanian city of Launceston with hydro-electric power from its construction in 1895 to its closure in 1955.

I'll run with shakergt, I reckon he's on the mark. the old building has been remodelled and is now a private residence if I remember rightly.

Correct.
The site is now, finally, a museum. (it wouldn't make a great house site as it's been destroyed completely once (1929) and severely damaged on a at least one other occasion by flooding).
I used to cross the river on the rocks (when at low flow!) to mess around there as a kid.

Manpa said:
I'll run with shakergt, I reckon he's on the mark. the old building has been remodelled and is now a private residence if I remember rightly.
Sorry, it was the Launceston substation that was refurbished into a house. Cheers

It's a place and something occurred here. You will need both the place and what happened to get this.

Here you will see eagles wings and might here the spirits on the winds

The finding of the Golden Eagle Nugget near widgimooltha in WA. The nugget shaped like an eagle with its wings spread was said to lift people's spirits.

Both very good guesses but unfortunately neither is correct.

I am located on highway 1. Manpa you are now in the correct state. ;)

Nope part of the Skylab wreckage now sits in the Esperance museum.

Gold has been found very close to this location

"Meckering 1968

On the 14th of October 1968 at 10:59am, an earthquake registering 6.9 on the Richter scale occurred 100km east of Perth in Meckering, Western Australia [2]. Injuring 20 people, causing over 2 million dollars in damage and felt in towns 650km away, it is Western Australias most destructive earthquake to date.

The hypocentre occurred 7km below the earths surface in the Yandanooka/Cape Riche Lineamen region located east of Meckering. The fault trended on a 32km north-south arc. Through strike-slip the eastern side of the arc shoved 2m westward, 1.5m upwards and 0.9m in a southerly direction which left a distinct trench in its path. This intraplate earthquake is thought to be caused through east-west compressional force within the southwest seismic zone."

I'll give that a go.

Cheers

Doug

Not even close Doug but the place is in the southern wheat belt of Western Australia and there was an established sheep station near this location once.

Remember this is a place and something happened here.

Ok Shaker, how about this one?

"A temporary pastoral lease ("Free Run") was registered by James Dunn senior in 1868. His five sons and daughter started sheep farming at the property, Cocanarup (20 km west of the present town), in 1871, after George and John Dunn drove a herd fromAlbany. In 1873 the family was granted a permanent lease of 4,049 hectares (10,010 acres).[3][4]

The region is infamous for the Ravensthorpe Massacre, also called theCocanarup Massacre, where many Noongar people were massacared in revenge for the lawful spearing of John Dunn in 1880 for the raping of a 13 year old Noongar girl."

Cheers

Doug

Burracoppin.. where the no.1 rabbit proof fence started in 1901 and from where all measurements are taken.
Edna May gold mine located 30kms. away in Westonia.

Well done Doug

Now you are here. Listen. Breathe.

Yes the place is Cocanarup (Kukenarup in Noongar) located on the south coast highway about 19KM west of Ravensthorpe and the event is the massacre. There is now a memorial in the location near where it happened. When the wind is right it howls through the area. The sound is said to be the spirts of those massacred. Having been there I can say that the sound does send a shiver down your spine and it is quite an eerie place.

https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/nys/Kukenarup_(Cocanarup_Massacre)

http://www.roamingdownunder.com/kukenarup.php

http://www.ravensthorpehistory.org.au/documents/cocanarup.html

Latest posts