Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope another clue from his diary:

"26th: Hugh Kennedy and W. Williams, who are out with McLeod's party, being camped one mile distant from us, and, hearing horse-bells, Abelsen went out to see if he knew them; in the twilight, Kennedy discharged his rifle at Abelsen, at about eighty yards, taking him to be a blackfellow about to spear the horses; in another instant Williams would have drawn his trigger also had Abelsen not sung out. I replied to their shot from our camp; then Warner and I went out to see whom we had so near us in that great wilderness, when we found Kennedy, Williams, and Abelsen, in mutual congratulations in meeting in such circumstances without accident. Kennedy is a dead shot, and Abelsen can only thank Providence and the darkness of the evening for his life. Neither of the party expected to meet each other in this quarter at this season.
27th: Prospecting and getting gold. Kennedy and Williams called at camp on their way back to join their party (McLeod's) about twelve miles distant north of Mt. Megan.
February 7th: Heavy rain continues . . . Have now found several quartz reefs showing gold in the stone freely. The alluvial is payable in places but very patchy . . ."

Correct Willo1.

I am currently reading his autobiography as part of my Cairns goldiflelds research:

On the Trail of Gold : The Story of James Venture Mulligan, North Queensland's Greatest Prospector-Explorer
Pike, Glenville
ISBN 10: 0646362461 / 0-646-36246-1
ISBN 13: 9780646362465

I am also reading about him in:

Holthouse, Hector (1967). River of Gold: The Story of the Palmer River Gold Rush. Angus and Robertson Publishers. ISBN 0-207-13802-8.

Heres a bit about him:

James Venture Mulligan (13 February 1837 - 1907) was a bushman and prospector. He was born in Drumgooland, County Down, Ireland and emigrated to Australia in 1859.

Mount Mulligan in Far North Queensland was named after him in 1872 by fellow prospectors.

After missing the gold rushes of Ballarat and Gympie, Mulligan set out to find gold on the Palmer River in Far North Queensland that had been reported by William Hann. On 30 June 1873, Mulligan discovered gold on the Palmer River, and, on 24 August of that year, he reported his find at Georgetown. The Palmer area was soon overrun by more than 30,000 prospectors, and Mulligan continued to search elsewhere. In 1874 he was to discover gold at Pine Creek.

In 1875 Mulligan became frustrated that his finds were creating great wealth for others, but were barely financing his expeditions. Unable to secure his services for free, the Queensland Government paid him 500 to find further gold fields.

Instead of gold, he was to discover the Barron River and find tin that year on the current site of Herberton.

In 1880 he discovered silver in the Silver Valley west of Herberton.

Mulligan was married in Brisbane on 5 March 1903. In that year he also purchased the Mount Molloy Hotel. He died on 24 August 1907 from injuries received as he tried to stop a fight.

His headstone reads: "Sacred to the memory of James Venture Mulligan, prospector and explorer, died at Mount Molloy aged 69 years. RIP. Erected by a few old friends."

I cant believe after all the hardships he went through as an explorer that he would end up dying in a bar room brawl he was trying to break up in his own pub.

Over to you for the next question :D

Thanks gcause. A great question. It is always good to learn about historical local identities from different parts of the country.
Anyway, here is a fairly easy one. I hope it hasn't already been discussed.
I was responsible for the deaths of 13 innocent people and I injured over 160 more. A popular Australian band wrote a song about me and what I did to his childhood friend. What, when (year) and where (location) did I happen.
willo1.

I like this thread, someone criticised the fact people were searching the internet, at the end of the day, people are learning something new, but I did know the answer to Break morant question.... I heard that before, the Mulligan hwy, named after James Venture Mulligan.

The trick is to word your question to make it a challenge.
I was a bit worried about the Breaker question but, It is fun...

I emigrated to Australia in 1866 with my family.
My father was a solicitor and I too studied law and joined his business.
I speculated in land but made my initial fortune in gold.

William Knox D'Arcy

The main aim of this when i first created it was for people to use the internet to help research areas to detect as sometimes you have to be smart in how you search to find the correct answer
I have a lot of historical documents that if i asked questions about what i have no one would be able to answer as in some cases i have the only copy and judging by the number of views a lot of people have learnt something about australia that they didn't know which i feel is great
All knowledge is good knowledge no matter where it comes from

the duck said:
William Knox D'Arcy

The main aim of this when i first created it was for people to use the internet to help research areas to detect as sometimes you have to be smart in how you search to find the correct answer
I have a lot of historical documents that if i asked questions about what i have no one would be able to answer as in some cases i have the only copy and judging by the number of views a lot of people have learnt something about australia that they didn't know which i feel is great
All knowledge is good knowledge no matter where it comes from

correct and correct , I for one did not know anything about D'Arcy before having to come up with a question for this thread , now i know that he came to Australia , finished his studies , became a solicitor, bought a mine (with a couple of other blokes) made a fortune , bought a mine in New Zealand went back to England and funded the search for oil in Persia (iran) which lead to the formation of what is now BP

I will have a stab at this. :)
Started Bendigo brewery,
Some where along the line I think, Carlton United Brewery???

Ill give it to you as you were very close

Mr. Bruce came from the ShetlandF
Islands, where he was born on 23rd March
1834. The earliest years of his life were
spent there, but when he was old enough
he was sent to Wesley College, Sheffield.
At that institution he received his educa-
tion. Subsequently he assisted in a book
seller's shop at Edinburgh, but it was not
for long. Attracted by the bright and
promising reports of Australia's richness,
he decided to come to this new land. He
sailed in the ship Hurricane from Green-
ock, and landed at the port of Mel-
bourne in 1852. Messrs Willis and Mer-
ries, of the Black Rail line of sailing
vessels, appointed him an agent in Mel-
bourne, but the more and more sensa-
tional discoveries of gold held out stronger
attractions for him, and in two months
time he relinquished the agency to go to
the Ballarat goldfields with a party of
others, but in a few days he journeyed to
Forest Creek. One of his companions was
the late Mr. George Reade. The two of
them, although new at the work, secured
good returns. After a while they came
to Bendigo, and opened a general store
under the style of Reade and Bruce. Then
followed a period of storekeeping at dif-
ferent goldfieldsfirst at Irishtown, after
which they opened at Sydney Flat, Belze-
bub Gully, Ironstone Hill, and Eaglehawk
Flat. While at the last-named locality the
partnership was dissolved, Mr. Reade leav-
ing the firm to become a commercial tra-
veller, and Mr. Bruce continuing the store
alone. Very soon, however, he launched
a ginger beer manufactory at Eaglehawk,
and some years later he bought a part in-
terest in the pioneer brewery of Elliott and
Fawns, Golden-square, Mr. Elliott retiring
and the business being continued under the
denomination of Fawns and Bruce. At the
same time Mr. Bruce conducted his aerated
water business at Eaglehawk, and also a
wine and spirit business. At the expira-
tion of four years the partnership with
Mr. Fawns was dissolved, and Mr. Bruce
in 1873 established a brewery in Bridge-
street which for many years was one of
the foremost in the district. He combined
his aerated water business with the brew-
ery, and was a noted prize-taker. Almost
from the inauguration of deep sinking in
mines in Bendigo Mr. Bruce invested capi-
tal in mining companies. He held shares
in nearly every mine in the district, and
was on the directorate of a large number
of them. Some years ago Mr. Bruce was a
member of the Benevolent Asylum commit-
tee, but entered little into public affairs.
He was one of those gentlemen who ren-
dered sterling assistance to the Bendigo
Agricultural and Horticultural Society in
its first troublous days, and was a mem-
ber of the committee for a long period. He
was a Freemason. Mr. Bruce was married
at Bendigo in 1856 to Miss Mackay, of
Tasmania, the Rev. Mr. Butler (Wesleyan)
conducting the ceremony. Mrs. Bruce
died several years ago. There are four
children survivingthree sons and a
daughter. The sons are Messrs. Robert
William Bruce, the well-known cricketer
and crack rifle shot; W. A. Bruce, and G.
A. Bruce. The daughter, who is married,
resides in Melbourne.
Mr. Bruce was one of the founders of
Bendigo United Cricket Club in the year
1861, and for several seasons was its fore-
most batsman. He had learned to play
cricket in England, and on returning to
Scotland look part in a match against an
All England eleven.

Had a funny idea about that and a quick search proved who he was.
My Uncle worked for Bendigo Cordial Extract for many years,
Clarrie Grimmett is of my mothers side of the family.
Mum's family is very tied to the Bendigo area. :)

I came from England to Australia in 1877 like many woman with high hopes and dreams.
I met and married my husband and while he was away I met a cruel fate.
who am I?