Aussie Gold Dog reviews & experiences

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just reading the reviews on their FB page, it seems they've made a habit out of doing the wrong thing.

Keitzy said:
Just from the appearance of his site I wouldnt of spent a cent. Doesnt exactly spell quality. Looks like a 12 year old did it.
Hope u get your stuff regardless

Yeah, he can't even spell Opposition :D
What a clown.
Hope you got your money back.

Sorry to raise the dead on this topic.. I bought a trommel/sluice combo from Aussie Gold Dog on January 1. No updates/changes to my order according to the website since, but it's only been 10 days, I'm not particularly worried yet.. except stories like the above don't fill me with confidence.

Should I be expecting months of delay here? Anyone dealt with Crampo recently?

MTB said:
Sorry to raise the dead on this topic.. I bought a trommel/sluice combo from Aussie Gold Dog on January 1. No updates/changes to my order according to the website since, but it's only been 10 days, I'm not particularly worried yet.. except stories like the above don't fill me with confidence.

Should I be expecting months of delay here? Anyone dealt with Crampo recently?

Not sure how they are lately, though I had a pretty bad transaction a couple of years back purchasing a detector. Luckily I paid through paypal and got a full refund, though I had to fight hard to get any response from him, and it was also dragged out over several months. Unfortunately some of these small businesses are cash poor and tend to use your cash as they see fit to keep their business afloat, and not necessarily for your intended purchase.

Give it a little longer, if the gear needs to be manufactured upon receipt of the payment, then there may be a delay. Probably a good question to put forward to the retailer before making a purchase - is the item in stock, does it have to be manufactured, or is it being ordered from elsewhere.

I knew my detector had to be ordered from abroad which is fair enough, though wasn't too happy when I contacted the manufacturer only to find out that an order hadn't been placed, even after a couple of months of receiving my cash. :|

Thanks for the response. I've decided to avoid the risk entirely and take advantage of the Returns Policy as specified on his website, and have requested a full refund via the site's Resolution Centre. I know it'll take a while yet to get my refund, but at least I know I'm entitled to one by law, and I can drop dollarydoos on a different supplier in the interim - one who doesn't have the reputation this guy has; I want my gear to arrive before Winter so I can actually get out and use it.

edit: you make a good point about enquiring whether stock needs to be manufactured on receipt of payment etc, I should've checked before I bought. An "In Stock" / "On Backorder" label is used by other suppliers for this purpose, ie Gold Rat who will probably be my go-to.

I might need to put on my flame suit for people who claim I'm being a bit harsh for requesting a refund so early, but the fact of the matter is, if I'd seen the feedback and negative experiences people had *before* placing my order, I'd never have placed it. Now I'm just looking to cancel the order instead of waiting however long it takes to receive it.

"Entitled to one by law "
Aaah not at this stage :rolleyes: Change of mind is not covered under consumer law :eek:
Probably be fair to at least give the person a chance to honour the contract ?

Dog Ranger said:
"Entitled to one by law "
Aaah not at this stage :rolleyes: Change of mind is not covered under consumer law :eek:
Probably be fair to at least give the person a chance to honour the contract ?
AFAIK it all comes down to the policy of the business, and this one states that all items are returnable as long as they've not been used. Returns are then stated to be either full refund or store credit. Am I missing something there?

As far as fairness is concerned, all I hear from other customers so far is extreme delays with zero communication, not to mention customers having to call/message/hassle multiple times just to get an answer. That doesn't sound fair on the customer to me. I've been spooked by all that poor feedback so decided to withdraw the purchase, it looks as though I'm entitled to, why would I not when I can shop at a more reputable business?

I manufacture prospecting equipment and right now it is very difficult to get any product out the door with the majority of my suppliers only opening back up today after xmas. It is just a bad time of year. I would be calling him

1968falconxt said:
I manufacture prospecting equipment and right now it is very difficult to get any product out the door with the majority of my suppliers only opening back up today after xmas. It is just a bad time of year. I would be calling him

Same here. Unless you have a huge stock of parts (and arent having any down time over Xmas) there may be delays.

Yeah I get that, I tried calling a couple times with no answer, left a VM and Facebook messaged. Hoping to hear back soon but unless I can get some sort of definitive ETA I'm still asking for a refund. Adding a couple weeks due to supplier delay would be fine, it's the reports from others of zero communication that worries me, I just don't know when I'll get my order

Update for those interested

The order was fulfilled last Friday 15 February. Quality of the kit is good, no issues there. Yet to take it out on a trip - I missed my opportunity unfortunately while waiting for delivery - but the build is solid and as advertised. No rules were broken per se, Gold Dog is not a scam, but there are areas of improvement.

At the end of the day the issue here was that Crampo was occupied with personal issues and that is completely understandable, we all have personal lives which take priority, except there was no communication to say so (a note on the website would've been fine, to the effect of "Due to personal issues, there is a backlog of orders"). Would've taken 5 minutes to write and I would've gone into this purchase expecting a delay and even lack of communication. I've not yet actually spoken directly with Crampo, Fair Trading emailed him and he responded immediately with an explanation of the situation and provided an ETA for order fulfilment.

There is now a note on the Mini Trommel/Sluice page stating there is a small backlog on orders so that's something.

i don't think it was ever perceived as a scam as such, moreso difficulties with orders at the time and poor communication. As with any business there is always room for improvement.

Hi all new to the group and thinking I should have read this post before purchasing from aussie gold dog. total rip off ordered a river sluice from his web site and after 4 weeks passed never arrived. I was able to contact him by message no worries and was told the courier had forgot to pick it up and deliver. Asked for my money back which he agreed to and nothing since. My experience may be a rare case but please be cautious if dealing with this person. Happy to be proven wrong if my refund ever arrives.

Personally I would not buy from that site. The website itself is full of spelling mistakes and poor grammar/english. The equipment looks rough as guts. There are many places to buy better equipment from

update on refund I have received my cash back from aussie gold dog last night which may have been forced or not I couldn't say for sure but it has been a long 6 weeks. I hope there is better stories out there because I would like to think it was a rare case. Does anyone know where the best place is to order a river sluice that will be delivered before I am too old to use it. Appreciate the help.

Latest posts