Atx or Ctx 3030 for the beach

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, just wondering if anybody had some thoughts on which is the better beach detector, or had experience with both th ATX and CTX,

i have an ATX and it works great on the beach, but with no discriminator im digging alot of crap, and it goes soooooo deep.

I don't have a CTX nor ATX, but I was in a similar predicament using the Garrett Infinium on the the beach. I now much prefer the Explorer FBS setup with decent tones and ID's for targets, and decent discrimination on hand. It was a bit frustrating with the PI picking up all sorts of junk, lots of very small bits of wire, bobby pins etc, sometimes at ridiculous depths, with only a few good finds in between.

The infinium would go very deep, but so much wasted time picking out out the good from the bad, sometimes PI depth isn't be all, end all.

Now I have the Explorer, I dig barely any iron, just the odd bottle cap or piece of aluminium, with a substantial improvment on good finds to junk ratio. Depth is also excellent, I have dug some very deep 50c pieces, deep enough to leave a crater on the beach trying to reach them.

The Infinium meanwhile has been gathering dust, so I think you will find using an FBS/FBS2 detector more to your liking, just as I have experienced. :)

There are plenty machines for the water.

You have whites multifrequency beach hunter 300. The
Advantage is it has multi coloured lights for different
Targets which is ideal for night detecting.

You have fishers legendary cz21 which is multi frequency
As well and has an excellent discriminator and has proven
Itself in the past 15 years via the cz20/21 platform.

I would keep clear of pulse induction for the water unless
It has a decent discriminstor otherwise you will be digging
Bobby pins at 7".

The choice is yours though.

Good luck with it.

Gold pick I thought your machine is BBS? The ctx is FBS and as you can see from finds of late it can snag the goodies. Both goldpick and wolf are right in the fact PI will detect unwanted target at great depths but from reading a lot of stuff the further away from shore the less junk targets as they are light and will float to the shore so at a decent depth you should dig less of that. I think it's hard to recommend the other brands wolf when most of the users here a buying minelab and Garrett detectors and don't have enough information on what your suggesting, but you now have the v3i so you can share your experience and finds to support what your saying.

In saying this I'm bias towards what in using and the results I'm getting along with PaulMarr and goldpick

You gotta get wet with the atx no if or buts about it . Where those waves crash is the sweet spot for golden booty . Dry sand is mad and too trashy for me and I mainly stick to the wet sand . But I do venture on to the dry and change my hunting style . I work slower listening for the mellow low hi or faint hi low .I have a hundred + hours now with the atx on the beaches here in Perth but it's been a hard slog with Bobby pins and bottle tops and different setting combo's
but I'd rather a good vlf with bbs on dry sand any day over a pi

thanks for the info, hey stalker when u say waves crash where do u mean, just in the shallows or deep.

Sa_bogan said:
Gold pick I thought your machine is BBS? The ctx is FBS and as you can see from finds of late it can snag the goodies. Both goldpick and wolf are right in the fact PI will detect unwanted target at great depths but from reading a lot of stuff the further away from shore the less junk targets as they are light and will float to the shore so at a decent depth you should dig less of that. I think it's hard to recommend the other brands wolf when most of the users here a buying minelab and Garrett detectors and don't have enough information on what your suggesting, but you now have the v3i so you can share your experience and finds to support what your saying.

In saying this I'm bias towards what in using and the results I'm getting along with PaulMarr and goldpick

Being bias helps no one but each to their own.

Do you know my meaning of results?

Putting the hours in a detecting session and persisting
until you walk over a good target. If it don't happen try
Again in another session and keep going.

If your detecting in waist deep water becareful and i
Would suggest you use a tyre tube with a seive in the
Middle of it so you can empty your scoop into it.

Sa_bogan said:

The Explorer SE, Safari and Etrac all run FBS and CTX FBS2, only the Excalibur and Sovereign have BBS. ;)

Latest posts