Around the parks with the Ace250

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW, wotta mix Santda at least ya found ya marbles, lost mine years ago. :lol: must be the best finds with a 250 I've seen in 3 years of detecting. you must be a natural. :)

couldn't get a better detector for that job than the mighty ACE250 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Paulmarr said:
Nice haul - and here comes the silver - put that site in your memory bank and go back with a better detector to find more treasures!

silver said:
couldn't get a better detector for that job than the mighty ACE250 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Paulmarr said:
Nice haul - and here comes the silver - put that site in your memory bank and go back with a better detector to find more treasures!

Well yeh. they seem to pull the goodies. I had a 350 2 years ago, buggered if I could get on with it and find much. prob. too green then :D

It would probably be a very different story for you now, do ya think ?
slipped disc said:
silver said:
Paulmarr said:

Well yeh. they seem to pull the goodies. I had a 350 2 years ago, buggered if I could get on with it and find much. prob. too green then :D

Fantastic, looks like you've stumbled across a virgin patch of coins, something pretty rare these days. There has got to be more older stuff deeper down, what depth are you pulling the pre-decs from? I'd be digging every faint signal, you never know what you will find. :)

Thanks to all of you, ive managed to produce the goods, with the techniques and tactical thinking learned on these pages.
Gday Paulmarr , re going back with better detector : i have thought about this and taken into consideration , i have been given permission to hunt in this area but it is a sensitive area and i dont want to overstep the boundries and asked to leave. I have used Silvers advice from my trip away and am only running on the 4-5 top bars , i know this eliminates gold rings( and im probably missing out on some other goodies too) but given the ground conditions( dry and bloody hard) i dont want to be digging iffy signals,so have been sticking to solid signals with same response on both swings and from different positions, and to answer your question GP ( gday mate) .. Average depth would be about 4" . I have been thinking that if i take care and respect the area i will be welcome back in the future ( when the ground cover has recovered from these drought conditions) with a better ( more specifically suited) detector, just to see what i have missed.
As i mention previously , i havent even finished half of the area. So if you guys have any other advice or tips to even better my results ... Im all ears! ;)

I've still pulled Gold rings on those 4-5 top bars by finding a good signal in scan and it not overloading out when rescanning(repressing the scan button when closer to the target) like a soft drink bottle top would, but instead still getting a nice tight signal that's not overloading and showing in the gold region on the digital screen(they aren't all gold rings though). And don't leave those deep scratchy signals that only sort of ring up true, take a bit of dirt off of the top and see if they don't sound better because they can be 50% silvers. Sometimes they can be on their edge or it might be a bit of rust near them just masking the signal a bit, especially if you are on an old spot with not too much modern rubbish signals mixed in with them, or they might be at the edge of the detectors ability until that bit of top soil comes away to reveal all. You seem to be getting the hang of this really well by the looks of all your pickys Sandta, well done padre.

Its been a quiet weekend all round . Its my week 'on call' ... started friday , had 1 call out saturday morning. Been sitting around all weekend waiting for the phone to ring . Well my withdrawals got the better of me... I went to a local park for a couple of hours after dinner
1407668814_image.jpg

Not a bad result either :
2x$2 ,3x$1 ,3x50c ,1x20c ,6x10c ,2x5c and a yanky 1c piece
1407669078_image.jpg

Then to top it off ... I had a look around this huge old tree on the edge of the park. So much junk around , i backed the sensitivity way down to 2 notches , ran only the 4 top notches on the discrimination and ... Surprise...
1407669705_image.jpg

1950 three pence :D

That's the one Sandta, the one that no one with any other detector could find,.....Bingo,....well done by Sandta with the ACE250 and a skull full of knowledge.,,,,,,,,,,PROUD.

Gday guys , i went for a hunt after dinner ,before my first call out for the night
I havent been to this park before , to be honest i didnt even know it existed :rolleyes: ( ive only lived here for 32 years) :8
1407928912_image.jpg

1x20c ,2x10c ,1x5c ,1x1c ... And ........
1407928980_image.jpg

A 1956 6 pence , it pretty good nick too
1407929030_image.jpg

And look GP ... I found a cone to go with your hit pipe... :lol:
1407929736_image.jpg

I will certainly be going back in the daylight to have a look around , to figure out what features are there for future visits

SILVER! Congrats Sandta - apparently they are hard to find. :)

Looks like you are getting into the "swing" of it - looking forward to seeing what else you can unearth.

Just gotta know where to look when you've got an ACE250 ! Hey Sandta !
Paulmarr said:
SILVER! Congrats Sandta - apparently they are hard to find. :)

Looks like you are getting into the "swing" of it - looking forward to seeing what else you can unearth.

Stop it Sandta,.....when I use ctrl and the mouse wheel to make your threepence photo really big it starts to look like a 1921/22 overdate,...... it might be just the way the photo looks to me, nice if it was cause they start out at $9000.00 in that very good grade,...sorry to get your hopes up if it turns out not to be one, ahhhhhh wouldn't it be nice though if it was !

Ye good onya... I just raced in with a magnifiying glass , not that i know exactly what i was looking for ... But nothing obvious stands out.
Oh well... Im still very happy just to have found such a tiny coin in such a huge park. :)
Im yet to visit this park in daylight to see what is there, but as the results show, around the 'old' picnic tables has been a good place to start. The old tables in this park are on a concrete plynth , the newer tables are not. Both silvers were next to different old tables all the others were randomly located around this one section of the park.next visit should see this section completed, then will start to systematicaly scour each other section, but do really need to visit in the daylight first

Sandta just a question. What depths are you finding
Those coins?

I enjoy watching what you guys find stuff. Its simply awesome.

Don't get discouraged though about the detector your
Using. To get the majority of coins on an untouched
Site where no soil has been topped ontop of the original
You need to be able to find coins at around 6". - 7".
If your Machine is capable of doing this then keep going.

If not don't panic. The 250 is primed for silver because
Of the low khz the machine runs at. So what do you do?
How can you get deeper?

Try a larger coil and use a dd. That may give you some
Extra depth though it won't be as sensitive to the tiny
Stuff which will not matter.

Do a reasearch for the correct coil and find a good used
One or contact phil at the gold mining centre in sa who
Was the original garrett dealer here in oz for a long time
Until a few years ago Who can give you some advice and
he may have a coil for Sale as well.

Spending an extra $180 or so vs spending $1000 plus
can for the time being save you money and give You
the extra 1" or so you seek in depth for the time being.

Hope this helps..

The large Garrett DD coil (same as standard Ace 350 coil), is by far the best garrett coil for the Ace, it should squeeze another couple of inches out over the stock concentric.. I too have pondered getting a larger coil for the Ace, have been looking at a NEL tornado or Detech 10x14 for summer coin shooting at the beach, the NELs in particular are great value for money. :)

Gday Wolf , sorry but you may have confused me with someone else.... I havent been and am not unhappy with my Ace , i love it.i dont think that any of the coins ive pulled have been deeper than 4-6 inches( except on the beach sand,and in the bark chips) i have read all of yours , Silver and Goldpicks posts on here and do understand that there are different coils which will be better suited to certain terrain types, but im still very much a learner learning about what ive got a base level. At the moment im am trying to research and target areas that are accessible and suited to what my Ace can cope with. I would like to( and will probably soon will) get a sniper coil to gain an edge on some of the more trashy areas( like the skate park i visited) but at the moment i still have HEAPS of other sites in mind that dont require it( although some probably will prove they do)i can always go back to these sites when better prepared with some knowledge of what to expect and what is required .... At the moment im am finding coins on nearly every trip , gaining experience and getting a kitty together that i could use to buy that sniper coil for the Ace , i have only my own experience and the advise and experience of all who share on here to go by . I almost certainly will get a new detector ... One better suited to beach hunting( wet sand) but wont be getting rid of my Ace anytime soon
Gee i got a bit carried away with that.... :8 almost defensive ... All good advice, very welcomed and very much appreciated :)
Thanks to all who contribute ... This is a great community ... Thank you Nuggett( im sure your listening)

Latest posts