ANZAC DAY - LEST WE FORGET

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anzac Day goes beyond the anniversary of the landing on Gallipoli in 1915. It is the day on which we remember all Australians who served and died in war and on operational service. The spirit of Anzac, with its qualities of courage, mateship, and sacrifice, continues to have meaning and relevance for our sense of national identity.

We will remember them.
1461452289_1476364148.gif

Spent my time with 108 battery 4th Field regiment based in Townsville. I joined the unit when I was 19 years old, just after the fellas got back from Vietnam. During their tour they were involved in the Battle of Coral - "North East of Saigon in May and June 1968, elements if the entire 1 ATF were involved in the operations for some twenty six days, during which they repulsed several regimental and battalion attacks, plus endured bombardments by missliles and bombs of various size, as well as initiating fierce close-quarters actions in well prepared and defended enemy bunker systems - The Battle of Coral, by Lex McAulay" It was the first time since WW2 that the Aussie artillery had been forced to lower the guns and fire splintex at the enemy. One gun was over-run but was won back by hand to hand fighting. It was also the first time the Australian Army used tanks in Vietnam.

I was never sent to any conflict zones, or posted overseas much to my regret at the time - young and stupid - gungho is the correct word I think. Now I thank my lucky stars that I never got the chance. Every ANZAC Day I attend the "Dawn Service" (small price to pay getting out of bed in the early hours) to show a little respect, gratitude and thanks to our servicemen and woman, who fought, and those who were wounded, and to those that never made it back, making the ultimate sacrifice.

davent - 3RAR relieved 1RAR after the first night and fought at Coral for the remainder of the battle.

Lest we forget

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Coral–Balmoral
https://www.awm.gov.au/encyclopedia/coral/

Rotor. 108th field battry were not involved in the fighting at FSB Coral. It was a 105 mm M2A2 howitzer, the No. 6 gun.of 102 Field Battery, 12th Field Regiment, Royal Australian Artillery that was over run by NVA at
Fire Support Base Coral, Bien Hoa province, Vietnam. 13 May 1968.

The normal order of march was altered this year to commemorate the 40th Anniversary of the Battles of CORAL and BALMORAL in South Vietnam, 12 May to 6 June 1968. 12th Field Regiment Association lead the associations and units, acknowledging its role in commanding the forward deployment of 102 Field Battery and 161 Field Battery (RNZA), while 104 Field Battery (on rotation) replaced 108 Field Battery in 1 Aust Task Force base.

During these battles 102 Field Battery ( now none as the Coral battery) played a significant role, providing fire support to two battalion groups, while repelling a regiment size ground attack on its gun position by firing guns over open sights, and being involved in hand to hand combat on the first night at FSB Coral.
No disrespect to 108th fld battery whose members were involved in many vital operations during there time in Vietnam.
But n January 1968 the 4th Field Regiment was flown north-west from Nui Dat to FSB Harrison, in order to support both 2RAR and 7RAR during Operation Coburg, a reconnaissance-in-force between the Song Dong Nai and Route 1. For the remainder of its tour the 108th Field Battery was mainly deployed on operations south of Nui Dat towards the coast. Operation Cooktown Orchid (1-24 April 1968) was part of this pattern and marked the battery's last deployment away from Nui Dat in support of a major operation.

The 108th Field Battery fired the last round of its tour of duty on 28 May 1968. During its time in Vietnam the battery had fired 68,169 rounds in the course of 2,357 separate firing missions.
;)

Proud to say I have a member of my family on deployment to Iraq. Combat Engineer...swings a detector and operates other stuff to find and neutralise IEDs. Currently training Iraq army units. Dangerous assignments they all undertake to give us the freedoms we have here at home.

Lest we forget

Full respect to all who served for this Great Southern Land. Today I went to my fathers grave to pay respect to him who served in the final days of the war with Japan, as well as the Korean and Malay conflicts. You guys here who served, anywhere for AUS, full respect fella,s.

Latest posts