ANZAC DAY - LEST WE FORGET

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we should also remember our service animals

View attachment 1079
Without doubt Surfer - Simpson and his donkey told as a child and never forgotten but one of many,.
Would also like to extend thoughts over the weekend to the many that are enduring war and its effects on their life currently.

Last edited:
"Please wear a poppy," the lady said
And held one forth, but I shook my head.
Then I stopped and watched as she offered them there,
And her face was old and lined with care;
But beneath the scars the years had made
There remained a smile that refused to fade.

A boy came whistling down the street,
Bouncing along on care-free feet.
His smile was full of joy and fun,
"Lady," said he, "may I have one?"
When she'd pinned it on he turned to say,
"Why do we wear a poppy today?"

The lady smiled in her wistful way
And answered, "This is ANZAC Day,
And the poppy there is the symbol for
The gallant men who died in war.
And because they did, you and I are free -
That's why we wear a poppy, you see."

"I had a boy about your size,
With golden hair and big blue eyes.
He loved to play and jump and shout,
Free as a bird he would race about.
As the years went by he learned and grew
and became a man - as you will, too."

"He was fine and strong, with a boyish smile,
But he'd seemed with us such a little while
When war broke out and he went away.
I still remember his face that day
When he smiled at me and said, Goodbye,
I'll be back soon, Mom, so please don't cry."

"But the war went on and he had to stay,
And all I could do was wait and pray.
His letters told of the awful fight,
(I can see it still in my dreams at night),
With the tanks and guns and cruel barbed wire,
And the mines and bullets, the bombs and fire."

"Till at last, at last, the war was won -
And that's why we wear a poppy son."
The small boy turned as if to go,
Then said, "Thanks, lady, I'm glad to know.
That sure did sound like an awful fight,
But your son - did he come back all right?"

A tear rolled down each faded check;
She shook her head, but didn't speak.
I slunk away in a sort of shame,
And if you were me you'd have done the same;
For our thanks, in giving, if oft delayed,
Thought our freedom was bought - and thousands paid!

And so when we see a poppy worn,
Let us reflect on the burden borne,
By those who gave their very all
When asked to answer their country's call
That we at home in peace might live.
Then wear a poppy! Remember - and give!

by Don Crawford

Off to dawn service with heavy heart filled with memories as a child watching my grandfather, an old frail man sitting in a chair quietly watching me play. He had returned from Gallipoli but my years to few at the time to have any idea of what his eyes had seen.in his lifetime. I remember them and l thank them all.

One of my mates got his Great Grandfathers War service record from an online provider. It had everything from his pay records, to his Q store records, and his charge sheet for misconduct.
It was the charge sheet that I read that summed up the irreverent Aussie larrikin.
After he was withdrawn from Gallipoli, they were re-directed to Egypt. The ship they were on stopped to resupply in Ceylon (now Sri Lanka).
The men were given shore leave so they could stretch their legs and shop for tobacco etc. They were forbidden from buying or drinking alcohol. (yeah right!)
So of course, the digger went out and got drunk.
The charge sheet is funny, who ever wrote him up (prosecution,) had a sense of humour to.
He got drunk, stole a rickshaw, and was riding it around and throwing bananas at the "natives".
A sergeant from the royal medical corps (English) then stopped him and tried to arrest him. Said grandfather then struck the Sergeant in jaw with a closed fist, and knocked him unconcious, and put him in the rickshaw, and continued on his way, throwing bananas. Another sergeant, this time an Australian, tried to stop him, and met the same fate as the Englishman.
Granddad then continued riding around Ceylon, yelling to anyone who would listen "look at these two fine bastards I've captured!"
L/Cpl Lording was fined an amount I cant recall and demoted to Private.
he would later be promoted to Sergeant in the battlefields of France. L/Cpl Lording survived the war.

Just a short yarn about a typical Aussie letting off some steam.

Most of you know about Kato's commitment. "From small things, big things grow"

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...-check-on-last-years-anzac-day-project.38738/
What you don't know is that she now has been following through on seeking solutions to refurbish both the Brass plaque headstones and the white marble with lead lettering headstones.
She has made this her yr12 research project just to be different and productive.
She spent a day with Tillet Memorials, much to their surprise and it was a successful day all around, thank you Chris Tillet and Staff.
The next stage is to learn how to deal with the Brass plaque repairs, this with VET Affairs SA, likely in May.

All this work, and for what ? Why would a young girl go to this length ?

So on Sunday the 24 of April we took off to travel 70 km to Murray Bridge to check on our work and try to ensure that everything was working as desired, the War graves section as schmick as we could make it, only 2ish days shy of 1 year, our first trip and starting her personal project in 2021.

On arrival was first an inspection, somethings had improved further after the second application of chemicals, but more important nothing had deteriorated since the visit in January - EXCELLENT because that means we are on the right track.
We inspected lead lettering closer with her newly gained knowledge, and we discussed production, repair and possibilities.
Then we got stuck into some work to tidy up for ANZAC Day as best we could.

Then I had to joke about the Police turning up.

Ten minutes later, a big guy in greens was waiting in a car, police next to him, then the police left and he got out of his car and came into the Cemetery talking on his mobile phone, so when he finished I walked over and started chatting, Kato turned up and it was expressed about what we were doing and why, how it came to fruition. He was surprised.

That is when we found out that an ANZAC Service was taking place at 2.30pm, it was 1pm, so we said we would finish and clear out in time.
It was a bit strange to both Kato and I, unforeseen.

We got to work and finished everything, it was all looking great, even cleaned the bird poo off of the Memorial Cross.
All just in time because people were arriving early, a large group of Army Cadets, parents, families, the band and a guy bringing out the chairs and podium off of a ute.
All a little surreal actually.

We elected to wait for the Service and watch.

Kato and I realised that we were witnessing the convergence of Community, RSL, Soldiers past, Soldiers to be, attending to show respect to those that Served and sometimes died in War.
Men in black suits wearing medals, carrying wreathes, young Cadets being formal and looking practiced.

This had not happened here in this place for 3 years of Covid.
This was what her work was for, and she had great pride, her hands shaking, a tear rolling and a huge smile. Magic.

A late comer in a suit stood next to us and I asked why today, he is the President of the Myponga Branch RSL, he briefly explained that this Service was held on the 24th so that People could attend the Dawn Service and March in Adelaide on the 25th.
WOW, talk about fortuitous timing.

Later we were introduced to the President of the Murray Bridge RSL, another President of a third branch, the MB RSL Historian researcher whom we had a very long talk with, they were amazed that this was a 'personal' project and she was achieving something they were unable to over many efforts and years because of red tape basically.

Kato has been asked to address the RSL Club membership and tell them about the project.
She has been invited to provide a News story for the local Newspaper.

The guy carrying the podium in, and the chairs, he was also the guy carrying them out.
Murray Bridge RSL President, he also was the speaker.

An awesome outcome to the day, and after all had left, we finished spraying and even addressed a lichen and moss covered family plot headstone nearby as a test.
We also have found out there are three Service graves not in this section, one badly damaged, we will look at those upon our return.

I am very proud of her.

"From small things, big things grow"

Lest We Forget

IMG_20220424_144750.jpg

IMG_20220424_144745.jpg

IMG_20220424_145110.jpg

1650969544947.jpg

1650969524520.jpg

1650969556197.jpg

This is terrific! Well done Kato and all the best for the rest to come! Fantastic effort! 😀

Cheers,
Megsy

Hi ladies and gentlemen, Kato has been in hiding for some time. ;)

She has been busy with her year 12 studies, trying to restart her Traineeship IT Cert 3, and getting back to more normality.

Her Year 12 research project was about this work with War Graves, and it has been quite a task to do, a less than helpful Teacher,
a return to school as Covid has settled (she is Immune Compromised) then ensuring her other subjects are going the right way.
She took on extra subjects because the Education Dept were driving to shut her traineeship down, but at the end of the day the we
have prevailed and now it seems she is getting huge compliments for her work ethic and skills from many sources.

I have been putting some time into my other children and my own health.

Kato will be hopefully communicating with the Murray Bridge RSL soon, to speak to the members of her experience and motivations,
guiding them forward to being able to implement care-taking principles themselves.

The RSL have to roll with a number of Authorities to get anything done, this is also a cost covering exercise, so wheels just don't move.
She has cut through all that, and inexpensively.
Her goal is to be able to get this moving as a Community based program, with training and kits, so that any RSL has the ability to maintain,
there is a lot to do.
Her work in IT may give her better tools to achieve this, at the end of the day. She does not view this as just an ANZAC Day tidy up.

Recently I have been informed of another contact for War Graves, a head of the Department, which we will follow up.

In summary, things have slowed down because of personal priorities, but I have no doubt will gather steam through the next few months depending upon her Education workload.
Coming into the new year will be very interesting.

Latest posts