Anyone know whow what this marker is?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G0lddigg@

Dustin
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has come across or knows what this marker is?
I came across it deep i the forest I know there are two reefs running through there and assumed it may be a reef reference i.e. "reef 3" from a specific survey.

1387227220_20131016_134936.jpg

It may be a drill hole.... I wonder what they were drilling for? I would be having a close look at anything that may have come up out of the hole when they drilled.... :)
Redfin said:
Looks like a cap for a drill hole to me.

so were all agreed it must be a drill hole into a reef, its in the creswick state park and theres a few reefs that pass through that area but no evidence of anything that came out of the hole

More than likely a temporary concrete exploration drill hole cap & identified for future reference against data from the core samples. Usually, in NSW anyway, once the lab results are known they will be plugged & metal cap (so it can be found later if required with a metal detector) but at a depth to allow back filling & even revegetation.
They may have diamond drilled & removed all core samples for analysis or had a requirement of their exploration to remove any spoil piles hence no material left behind?
Recently read an exploration report where they had found gold in samples, in varying quantities & locations along an old reef line, from surface down to 200m. Still searching for the surface areas :lol:
Any surveyors tape around marking a line of direction? This may indicate the line they drilled & sampled + the direction line of any reefs?

interesting that mbasko I've just finished reading a report referred to some surveys done which indicate that 11 diamond drill holes were completed in this area between 2008 and early 2009. needless to say I found the report and it ahs some great info on the area I am working right now! amazing how research can take its twists and turns. I'm sampling a reef about three km's away from where I saw the cap and it just happens to be the same reef :)

G0lddigg@ said:
interesting that mbasko I've just finished reading a report referred to some surveys done which indicate that 11 diamond drill holes were completed in this area between 2008 and early 2009. needless to say I found the report and it ahs some great info on the area I am working right now! amazing how research can take its twists and turns. I'm sampling a reef about three km's away from where I saw the cap and it just happens to be the same reef :)
That would give you at least a 3km area to investigate. The report I seen (obviously different area) had the surface areas marked with red lines although the map displayed isn't easy to use. Not to scale or of a scale that is easy to navigate. The surface areas marked run from east to west across the north/south running reef line which also fits in with other reports I have seen that tell me that gold nuggets have been found in colluvium (loose deposit of rock debris accumulated through the action of rainwash & gravity at the base of a gently sloping cliff or hill) on both the eastern & western slopes leading away from the reef line. The exploration reports can give terrific insight into an area & also highlight things to look for. I haven't had a lot of luck there yet but also have kilometres of ground to check out.
Remember that while a mining company may walk away from these areas as they're not "payable" they may still be worthwhile to the hobbiest depending on depth etc. Good luck with the search.

Guys

Core Holes are normally less then 4" to be honest, there are only two or three sizes over this, rarely used in core sampling any more, people get lazy, 1 metre length of solid rock can weight. I would more then likely say you would be best to call your local water bore contractor, Murray I think it is there, and ask him. By the looks of your photo the cap is about 10 to 12".

These days with GIS, hardly no one leaves a marker for holes. The core is so you don't have to go back, you spilt it in half, assay one half, store the other for future reference. Back fill the hole or collapse the hole by other means. I don't know anyone that bury's a steel marker anymore. I think surveyors even gave it up 20 years ago.

But I would calls Murray's I think he'll have the answer for you.

hey Village this cap is about 10cm mate, Ive emailed the company who are/have conducted the survey so I'll wait to see what they come back with and go from there thanks for the additional info

I think you got one of those infamous "middle of nowhere market stall markers". I have it on good authority that back in the 1800s they used to have market stalls set up all over the Australia outback selling little pieces of lead shot. There was a ritual that if the gold gods were to be appeased, a handful of lead shot must be purchased each day and scattered around the goldfield.

I though this story was absolute bullshit at the time due to the volume alcohol consumed around the camp fire, but my field testing indicates that there could be something in it.

Latest posts