Anyone into Paramotor?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been reading all about it and cant remember what started me on it but just looking to see if others on here are currently doing it?

Ummm, I think I will pass

Most accidents happen for predictable and preventable causes. Avoid them. Water and turbulence are the bugaboos in that order. If water landing is a possibility, carry floatation (like Agama). If you fly where turbulence is a possibility, carry a reserve AND KNOW HOW TO USE IT! But don't think that carrying a reserve makes turbulence safe -- most turbulence-related fatalities happened below safe deployment height. All the turbulence related fatalities happened in air the pilot knew was likely to be turbulent. One more thing: wear a helmet, that would have prevented at least one fatality.

We don't address the largest cause of serious injuries: prop strikes. That's because, so far, they have proven survivable albeit with sometimes permanent disability.

I would love to try that. also ultra lights and build your own projects of that nature. money is always a consideration tho. I'm more into bikes, but I wonder which is more risky ? saw a doco about gyrocopters in the 80's, they were excellent. Happy landings.

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNhs0ln-9kI[/video]

yeah i know there is a lot of risk in this type of sport but i would be more into the video above which would be awesome on remote beach/fields

i think there will always be a risk in anything with a motor, plenty of people are injured in cars and motor bikes as well

Jaros said:
The landing isn't as hard off a bike!!!

Dunno, hit a tree, guardrail ,car etc. :eek: I've been ''off '' about 3 times in 45 years. had many near misses. been lucky I guess. ;)

Jaros said:
The landing isn't as hard off a bike!!!

Dunno 'bout that. if you hit a tree, a guard rail, or a car it won't be pretty. been ''off'' 3 times in 45 years, bit lucky there I guess. minor scrapes and swellings. many have died in that time on bikes, too many. 270 km/hr plus is quick, suzuki gsxr 1000 and many others.

As a hang glider pilot ( well ex .. I havent flown for about 10 years) i may be a little biased against these . We call paragliders 'jellyfish' ( a friendly 'us' & 'them' rivalry) as they have no 'bones'.... Meaning that they have no rigid features to hold form/shape to the airfoil . Any/every wing ( paragliders are essentially just a large wing them selves) can only fly if the airfoil shape is maintained.the shape of a wing means that air flowing over the top of a wing curve has to travel further creating a low pressure than the underside of the wing thus the wing is actually sucked upwards. Long story a bit shorter ... Paragliders have no bones and are susceptible to collapse ( mainly caused by turbulence) ... breaking the airfoil shape . No shape = no flight . Recovery is possible ... But you need height .... The bit that hurts is the ground :lol:

Sa_bogan said:
for the people who have been asking about the best transport out in the bush

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gyrocopt..._Hobbies_Diecast_Vehicles&hash=item4629d136e1

Mate of mine used to fly these, it was his passion. Very experienced pilot 20+ years.

One day he was taxiing for takeoff, front wheel hit a rut in the ground, gyro flipped over from the momentum going forward. Motor kept going and so did the blades.

He was in full harness but still got thrown directly into the blades and he wound up with broken collar bones, broken back, broken pelvis, broken hips, broken arms and broken legs.

He survived but wont go near them anymore.

Latest posts