Another newbie from the Hunter

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scoopa

Tim
Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm another newcomer to these forums so I hope this all goes well. From reading the previous posts it appears we have a few detectorists in the Newcastle area. Sorry to bore all the other members, but I'm from that way as well, Thornton near Maitland. I hope to catch up with some of the locals swap ideas. I use a Minelab Excalibur and Minelab Etrac, so you see I'm into treasure and relics. Been detectoring for above 5 years and had some great finds in the past. Had a detect this afternoon on a local beach-finds included 9 predecimal pennys (between 1927 to 1951) 1951 'pl' sixpence, 1922 Halfpenny, 7 one & two cent coins, $15.25 in modern stuff and a very nice white gold ring with stone. The more sand that's moved the better it gets. Met another detectorist also having a swing and had a good chat. Just a great afternoon. Hope to catch up with a few of the locals.

Welcome to the forum Scoopa, I will definitely have to organise a meet up very soon.

Thanks for the welcome Nugget and wooster. If you need a hand organising a get together of the local lads, let me know.

Thanks Newby. With the number of people detecting in the Hunter it a wonder there's anything left to find. :lol:

Went and had another swing this arvo at a different beach. $10.90 in moderns, Two keys on a ring, one single key and rubbish. Not as good as previous effort. Meet another fellow having a swing with Garrett At Pro. He was only new to the game and after giving him a few tips about covering the area and technique he was off! Hope he did well. Just for others on the forum, all the pre-decimal coins I located yesterday were located in the sand/gravel layer beneath the soft sand and were encased in corrosion. They've been down there for a long while. However after a good clean most came up not bad.

okay I'll see what I can do. you might be stretching my technical ability. I can always get the kids to help help dad. Sad isn't it !

1360922002_find_1.jpg
1360922021_find_2.jpg

Just a couple of photos of the beach finds for Tuesday & Wednesday. The first shot shows some of the pre decimals on the right. All those coins were heavily encrusted and after cleaning some have almost lost their details. Even the moderns were starting to corrode, however the ring looked as good as the day it was bought. Off to test new locations tomorrow, weather permitting.

Latest posts