Hello From Melbourne

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good Afternoon,

My name is Michael, I'm 29 years old and I'm from Melbourne. My first detecting experience was some time ago joining an all inclusive tour in Maryborough using a GP 3500. More recently I went on another all inclusive tour in Dunolly using a GPX 5000. I was lucky enough to find a bit of gold both times and I enjoyed both experiences so I finally decided to buy my own detector. Due to my budget I had to settle for a second hand GPX 4000 for $2,000 which I've read is a pretty good machine for a beginner to start with. I look forward to giving it a test run in the next couple of weeks :)

Anyway I just wanted to say hello, introduce myself and provide a brief background about my experience so far. I look forward to getting to know the community better and hopefully sharing some of my own experiences in time.

Kind Regards,

Michael

Welcome to PA Michael.
I reckon for your budget of $2k you've got yourself a good machine there & given yourself a good chance of getting more of those elusive nuggets. Doing tours is a great way to pick up pointers too especially if the tour operator spent time talking about the type of ground etc. you should be looking for. Good luck & keep us updated.

Hi Michael. I agree the 4000 is a well reputed machine. Take your time and sweep slow otherwise you will miss targets. Good luck in your hunt.
Jaros :p

Thanks for the warm welcome and the tips guys. Been spending some time reading some old forum posts. Definitely a lot of information to take in which will keep me busy :)

Welcome to PA Michael, there's definitely a lot of great info here plus some great people and with a good machine and plenty of knowledge, you'll better your chances that's for sure.

gidday Michael The 4000 is the machine I have been using and it works a treat. I am working up the palmer area and basically use the settings off the you tube with some small variation in sound. Dirty Quartz and ironstone country I like good luck

Welcome, and good luck . I am based in Southwest WA and have the same kind of ground. Saving for a dectector that wont freak out with all the iron in the soil.

Thanks everyone and glad to hear the feedback Geezer. I picked up the detector yesterday and although it's a bit rough around the edges the main parts are in good nick. Considering its age and price paid I'm quite happy with it. I'll be going out to Coiltek in Maryborough not this weekend but next to buy a few things and give it a test run around Maryborough.

I'll let you know how it goes :)

Thanks Guys

Latest posts