Angus MacKirk Grub Steak Sluice - Highbanker Conversion

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After watching Headbut's 12v bilge pump powered highbanker in action over the weekend, it got me thinking about doing something similar with an AM Grub Steak Sluice. I know I'll be needing some sort of frame for the Sluice to sit on and a modification to the flare, but I'm just not sure on the pump side of things in terms of the required GPH etc for this set-up.

Any help would be appreciated :)

I emailed angus mackirk regarding the exact question. Apparently the grub steak works between 500 to 700 gph.

Danielkrupski said:
I emailed angus mackirk regarding the exact question. Apparently the grub steak works between 500 to 700 gph.

Thanks for that mate, I may look at getting something a little bigger and regulating the flow via an in-line valve. I'm heading to BCF on the weekend so I'll checkout what they have.

Does anyone know how long a bilge pump would run on a small car battery?

I'm no expert but after doing some research on "bush power" this is my take on it:
Firstly I wouldn't use a car battery as they're designed for short sharp use to crank a motor. When used constantly to drain power from it will have a short life. A deep cycle battery is designed for this sort of thing.
If you had say a 1000gph 3 amp pump to run for 8hrs you would need a battery capable of around 48 amphours e.g.
Required amps (3) x hours (8) = 24 amp hours
Just about everything/everywhere I checked recommended not to discharge the battery by more than 50-60% (so 24 x 2 = 48ah) to increase battery life. This is just an example to add your own figures to.

Nugget said:
Danielkrupski said:

Thanks for that mate, I may look at getting something a little bigger and regulating the flow via an in-line valve. I'm heading to BCF on the weekend so I'll checkout what they have.

I set my grubsteak up with a 750gph pump whick seemed perfect. I would go with a little bigger and use a valve to control it as you stated..
As the flair section is suposed to be level for correct opperation, you need to consider how to feed it so water flows only down the sluice and not back off the entry side of the flair.

mbasko said:
I'm no expert but after doing some research on "bush power" this is my take on it:
Firstly I wouldn't use a car battery as they're designed for short sharp use to crank a motor. When used constantly to drain power from it will have a short life. A deep cycle battery is designed for this sort of thing.
If you had say a 1000gph 3 amp pump to run for 8hrs you would need a battery capable of around 48 amphours e.g.
Required amps (3) x hours (8) = 24 amp hours
Just about everything/everywhere I checked recommended not to discharge the battery by more than 50-60% (so 24 x 2 = 48ah) to increase battery life. This is just an example to add your own figures to.

Thanks for the advice mate, deep cycle definitely sounds like the go. I'm also going to look into a small solar power panel to charge the battery while in use, I'm guessing this is possible?

Ramjet said:
Nugget said:
Danielkrupski said:

I set my grubsteak up with a 750gph pump whick seemed perfect. I would go with a little bigger and use a valve to control it as you stated..
As the flair section is suposed to be level for correct opperation, you need to consider how to feed it so water flows only down the sluice and not back off the entry side of the flair.

Thanks Ramjet, I'm still thinking on the best way to handle the hose attachment but I may even go as far as getting a custom plastic end piece manufactured. It's still in the idea stage but I'll most likely be picking the pump and material to make the legs up tomorrow to get the ball rolling.

Nugget said:
Danielkrupski said:

If you use a ball valve to regulate flow it will result in excessive battery drain

better to try and get a pump that is just right or slightly over to allow for battery voltage drop and decreased flow rate as the battery drains

aim for 700 - 750 GPH and if you need to throttle it back to 500 then its not as bad as if you were trying to regulate 1000 or 1500 GPH

if you wanted to be really clever you could use a DC motor speed regulator but that could be 'spensive if you try to get high efficiency ones

in regards to the telescoping aluminium tube for legs , they do look pretty but quickly get jammed up with sand and grit during the "waterworks" so it might pay to keep them simple , it would be nice if the leg holders were fold up / fold down with fixed legs so you cant lose a leg while rock hopping , but slide in lengths of PVC conduit is cheap and light.

Reeks said:
Don't buy a Johnson pump, they are crap
Get a Rule pump.
Bcf sell both.
Reeko

Cheers Reeks, I have been looking at the Rule 1100gph unit.

What's the consensus when it comes to the type of hose to use?

HeadsUp said:
If you use a ball valve to regulate flow it will result in excessive battery drain

better to try and get a pump that is just right or slightly over to allow for battery voltage drop and decreased flow rate as the battery drains

aim for 700 - 750 GPH and if you need to throttle it back to 500 then its not as bad as if you were trying to regulate 1000 or 1500 GPH

if you wanted to be really clever you could use a DC motor speed regulator but that could be 'spensive if you try to get high efficiency ones

I've heard of installing a Y connector on the inlet hose with one end going to the sluice and the other going into the water source. On each line you can have a separate value which would allow you to regulate the flow of the water source end to say 25% and the sluice end to 75%, you can adjust the flow as much as you want as long at it adds up to 100%, using that method correctly wouldn't put any back pressure on the pump.

HeadsUp said:
in regards to the telescoping aluminium tube for legs , they do look pretty but quickly get jammed up with sand and grit during the "waterworks" so it might pay to keep them simple , it would be nice if the leg holders were fold up / fold down with fixed legs so you cant lose a leg while rock hopping , but slide in lengths of PVC conduit is cheap and light.

I've been thinking about that and have decided to go with the PVC option to begin with.

Nugget said:
Cheers Reeks, I have been looking at the Rule 1100gph unit.

What's the consensus when it comes to the type of hose to use?

32mm would be ideal for that , you could use 25 mm at a pinch but that might reduce battery life 8 - 12 % due to increased load on the pump

Clarke rubber sell a lightweight flexible black hose in 32 mm , it is not smooth bore hose it has ribbing inside which is not the best for our use ,

if you want smoothbore hose you usually have to buy a full roll of the stuff and its dearer per metre.

At least the Clarke one is very flexible and rolls up compactly

how much length would you run from the pump ? 3 - 4 metres ?

check what size the fitting is on your pump before you buy the hose .

even if the pump is 25 mm , you could still adapt 32 mm hose to it and take a little load off the battery

if using the lightweight Clarke Rubber hose , put a little silicon in the hose before you push it over the barb on the pump , tighten the clamp up halfway , let the silicon go off for 5 hours or so and then tighten the clamp all the way
make sure you dont use too much silicon as it might create a glob inside the hose and restrict your flow

It's going to be recirculating so the length of hose would only need to be 2mtrs at most. The idea is to make it as portable as possible and hopefully fitting it all within a backpack. I'll probably make an aluminum cradle with arm sling or pull behind sled for the battery. I'm going to call it the Nuggetbanker, do you think it has the same ring as the alternative? :lol:

Latest posts