Creek river sluice that converts to a highbanker

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am a brand 'newbie; to all this, so am seeking some advice and wisdom from experienced prospectors.

I am considering buying an aluminium (for weight) sluice that I can use in a creek or river....any suggestions on brand/type/size etc .

I would prefer to "buy Australian".

Primary objective is gold capture rather than gemstones. Second objective is to process more volume of ore than I can currently do just by panning.

My thought was to then fabricate the bits I need to add-on to the sluice to convert this to a moderate sized "highbanker".

The sluice/highbanker needs to be one that I can use in QLD where fossicking laws require that I use hand operated equipment only...so would be looking at some kind of handle operated bilge pump- if I can get one that will pump sufficient water flow.

Need to keep the overall load dimensions and weight light and compact but workable...so that I can drag all this around in my caravan when I do my grey nomad wanderings.

All advice is welcome and appreciated in advance.
thank you :)

Hey mikeB05. This is my homemade river sluice i made to convert to a highbanker with an attachment. It is 250mm wide so i think it would stuggle with a hand operated bilge pump. I run it with a 2000gph electric bilge
1461277533_optimized-screenshot_2016-04-22-08-18-40.png
1461277558_optimized-screenshot_2016-04-22-08-18-32.png

Maybe if you made somthing about 150mm wide it might work with a hand pump :)

Great idea for a river to small highbanker conversion.
Looks pretty simple and straite forward. I imagine you would need to clasifie your material before processing it through the sluce.
Also looks like you get good water flow even with recirculating it.

nucopia said:
Great idea for a river to small highbanker conversion.
Looks pretty simple and straite forward. I imagine you would need to clasifie your material before processing it through the sluce.
Also looks like you get good water flow even with recirculating it.
Yeah mate classify to 1/4inch. Trouble is i cant use it as highbanker here in qld so only use it at home when i have some dirt to run through it :(

A problem you might have with the hand pump is the lack of continual flow for a river sluice to operate properly as a banker. Check out the rockin yobskin or banjo on this site. Both are used in QLD in line with legislation.
Jon

Latest posts