Am I here?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digger58

Peter Diggins
Reaction score
Good grief, I have almost given up trying to introduce myself so hope I am in the correct area. Computers aren't intuitive to me, I do seem to struggle through most times though, somehow, lol.
So anyway, I'm 61 (cough), a male, and really want to get involved with detecting. I am hoping to meet people who are around the Sunny Coast in Qld to get together for expeditions into the great outdoors. A day trip or a few months, I'm easy. There is nothing better than spending time outdoors and at the end of the day sitting around a campfire with friends. The fire and embers are mesmerising as is the night sky full of stars. I'm sick of getting old and wish to begin life again. I will in the meantime track down whoever invented aging and deal with him/her.
I'm easy going, love a laugh, and wish to leave the quotidian behind. I have been glued to YouTube vids the last few weeks and although no medical confirmation has confirmed it, I believe I have Gold Fever. Apparently it is quite infectious and no known cure has been discovered; even those who reach their goals are drawn back to the fever. I haven't long to go, but the kids will suffer for years.
I haven't bought a detector yet, though I have tried on Gumtree and both times I said I would buy. the sellers never got back to me, very strange. I am limited financially so I am looking at the ORX, the MN Equinox or Gold Monster mainly. It is very confusing but I am slowly getting the hang of reviews and info. I want to detect for gold mainly because that involves going bush. I'm not expecting to strike it rich financially, but rich in new friends, and nature. I won't knock back a big chunk of the Precious if it presents itself to me though, especially the Hand of Faith's twin, lol.
If you haven't guessed I love a chat, writing, and reading.
So to anyone reading this, I wish you good health and happiness, and in the words of that national hero and icon (guess who) "I love youse all, haha. Cheers, Digger.

Some advice on buying as I found out recently there are a ton of fake ass Chinese knockoffs out there, if you buy off bumtree make sure they show you the recipt off an official dealer, and forget ebay ts awash with fakes.

Hi alexbunyip, thanks for the warning, but I've been there done that. Mind you I was young and fit, so now rusting away I may not handle it so well. Good luck, cheers.

Ded is on a die et. has been for a while now.

Welcome Digger58 I'm a 57 model detectorist.
Age is wearing me and the age condeming but I'm still digging up lead. It's fun you just never know what you will find. Best advice I can give you is dig every target and research, research. I have a Minelab 800 Equanox ( Nox) and love it. Welcome to our Family and have fun.

alexbunyip, thanks for the fake warning, much appreciated. It gets to me that so many people thieve and con others, especially the older folk and also those that are not well off. I hate having to worry when I leave my camp, or vehicle, or my home, that some mongrel will rip me off. I have a friend who just had her car stolen. She had just got home and was having a lie-down when some mongrel stole her car. It was only new too.
Thanks again for the warning, you're a good bunyip, cheers.

Hi Digger, I'm also a newbie so welcome.
Hope you find a great set of people to prospect with up your way.
Welcome & have a great Xmas & New year, Di

Hi Goldflower007, thank you, and a warm welcome back to you.

Well, I think we will have a variety of fellow prospectors from what I am seeing so far joining our upcoming club. That is a good thing in my opinion, as it doesn't lead to any dull moments lol.

I am looking forward to our trips as I love camping and sitting around a campfire. I don't know if you are aware but a campfire is often referred to as the "Outback Telly." I love it, sit and stare at the embers and flickering flames, especially if the night is a bit chilly and I have to rug up. A few friends and a glass of red (or whatever takes your fancy) is one of the most beautiful experiences in life, and best of all it's free.

Anyhoo, I hope you have a very enjoyable Christmas and New Year too. Same to everyone that reads this.

Cheers and best of luck.

Latest posts