Airbrushing advice

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldtarget

(AKA OldGT)
Reaction score
I know you are a creative lot, so I thought Id ask here before any more Youtube videos.

Any advice youd give to a bloke with his L plates on?

Im a qualified painter, and have had the complete kit for a while doing a bit here and there but Id like to up my creativity.

Even a link would be great.

Cheers.

1593777110_266163e5-3311-4701-ac05-e1ed2d415c0c.jpg

I very much doubt I know more than you judging by that pic mate.

Id like to know what ratio paint to thinners is standard, what clear coat is decent and where to obtain stencils/guides.

Maybe also if theres handy cleaning tools available .

Hi old GT i will get my gear out of storage from my lure making days to show you the set up ,water filters,pressure regulator.

I cut all my own stencils with a hot knife ,the sheets of stuff i used i will have to get the name of it from my sister ,she uses it with the crafty ladies,

Any thing that has a edge on it can be used with air brushing ,ie a comb with different size gaps between the teeth,veil material with different sized and shaped mesh

The clear coat i used i got it from super cheap it is compatible with water based paints i will put it up later for you also so you get the right one

I got all my gear from airbrushmegastore.com they have videos for the newbies and sell every thing that you will need

Awesome guys, I knew you would be a good resource if I asked the question, with a bit of luck I can get set up later today after I finish a few more tasjs Mrs GT has on the list for me.

paints and stencils.
I make timber lures, so a lot of sanding first. then filler/primer.
then a base coat of white.
All paints i use are auto acrylics. I thin them until they spay very easily from my simple airbrush (super cheap auto one) All metal air brush with gravity cup built on the pencil?brush/tube thing.
Guess its pretty close to 50% paint 50% thinner.
stencils for lures can be so many things.
Go to places like spot light and get some frilly doily material, or some wedding veil material. Also mozzie net is a good scale pattern. Laundry wash bags make an awesome bigger scale pattern, onion bags for bigger again.
I have used the cut outs from an egg lifter to put even stripes on bigger lures.
OK, now for a trick of the trade.
Get some out door clear plastic weather screen.
Get a hobby scalpel, and make your custom pattern on that.
Now put it over the lure, and mark the base of the front tow point, and the base of the rear hook hanger. Make a small cut at both points, and that will hold your home made stencil in place.

Already got paint from one end of the garage to the other....and a fair bit on myself.

Nice to use the creative side of the brain for a change.

But Im no artist that much is already clear. :lol:

Inline water filter ,inline digital pressure regulator(get the regulator from super cheap)

1593856237_img_0153.jpg

spray stand
1593856443_img_0164.jpg

if making lures ,a lure vice ,put it in the spray stand or hold it by hand
1593856486_img_0165.jpg

the spray stand with lure vice
1593856702_img_0166.jpg

the clear coat that i used on my lures
1593856753_img_0162.jpg

1593857934_thumbnail_1.jpg

Icould not get a photo of the colour mixing chart that i have, my camera would not take the picture ,if you would like a copy , send me a pm and i will post a copy to you

As davent said oldGT, spotlight is your best friend if making lures ,anything goes as a stencil, for everything from scales ,to scars to bum holes :lol: ,just look outside of the box ,look in the shed and in the bathroom when the cook is not around and pinch the hair drier, :eek: if you do not have a heat gun it is the next best thing from a heat gun to dry between coats

I can not take credit for the lure vice that is some one else's idea it works a treat

Gonna have a go on the old Walco pick handle, needed a rejuvenation any way, and another idea on a seperate handle I got as a replacement. If it turns out dodgy I can always just sand and start over :argh:

for clear coat, you can use multiple coats from a can, make sure if you use acrylic paint, you use acrylic clear and compatible paints.
2 pac clear works well, gives the lure a very tough coat.
There is also a floor product to put on timber floors, I have used it once, and the stuff makes your paint indestructible, but does change the color a little, think it was from feast and watson, i put it in a spagetti tube storage thing, and dipped all the lures i had ready, it only lasts a few hours when opened.

Cheap alternative, try using clear nail polish.
I use it over fishing rod eyelet bindings.
Flog some from the cook.

Latest posts