Agreements

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im an honest person, I wouldnt by any means try to deceive the owners. I wouldnt be able to contain my excitement anyway, I get excited over a single shilling :lol: let alone something of proper value!

For example if $20,000 of magic beans were found, in my mind right now, Id be happy with $1,000-$2,000, abit of appreciation for my efforts! Im not looking for 50/50 straight down the line to the cent!

While your mortality tells you smoky that sharing with the bloke out there in the dirt would be the right thing to do, there will always be that percentage of people who will get blinded by the money!

I didnt realise this would be a hot topic, I dont want anyone here to think Im some sort of scheming, money hungry bloke because Im not, I make a decent wage, Im certainly not in this game for monetary gain. If I was, Im doing a terrible job :lol:

I feel like some of you lads are turning your nose up at the question, Im relatively new to the game having only spent roughly 150 hours out on the hunt, I was just looking for advice, Ive always been told the only stupid question is the one you dont ask!

Lets keep it civil in here boys

I think you've got your head screwed on the right way about the issue, DetectingSA. Your comments show that you respect the land owners and that goes a long way with country people.

From my working life in the bush as a diesel mechanic, I established many close friendships with land owners and as such, I can travel through large areas of Oz with the knowledge that I'm welcome to set up camp if need be on various properties. I never arrive unannounced, always give the land owner a call first to see if anything needs picking up in town and I always offer to do a bit of work around the place as my way of saying thanks. Knowing their favourite beverage is a big plus also.

One thing I have liked to do on some of the bigger places is to rat around the old machinery dumps and if and when I come across anything that interests me, I mention the item to the land owner and ask him straight out what he wants for it - never once has a price been put on anything. Why? Simply because I have shown respect.

Treat people the way you wish to be treated and you can't go wrong.

Good luck with it.

Jeff

Not sure I understand your question?
You stated originally that a condition of being allowed on their land was the land owner was welcome to anything that interested them?
So now why are you concerned that they may hold you to what you have already agreed to ?
As long as you honour what you have stated then l cannot see an issue ? Well no issue unless they were just sweet words to get you in the door :eek:
So I have to ask, is it the landowner or yourself not honouring the deal when the eldorado is found that bothers you :(
The deals a deal :Y:

Hey Smokey bandit
Deep breath everyone and chill as Im only referring to finding something of real value ( hypothetically) and its got nothing to do with deceiving a land owner, its about human nature! You did state Smokey bandit ( you may have found it but its still theres) so anybody that was lucky enough to hypothetically find themselves in such a predicament would be thinking very long and hard about telling the owner of such a find and potentially having their find of a lifetime legally and lawfully taken off them and be sent on their merry way :N:
Youre statements regarding being up front and hoping for the best are morally correct and true, but I wonder if you were confronted with such a decision which choice you would make? And until you were in that position you can only assume that you would inform the rightful owner ! Human nature and greed do strange things to people. Im only being truthful in my views as Im very much a realist who lives in the real world? Youre comments are nobble all the same Smokey bandit.
Detecting sa mate just go and enjoy ya self and try not to over think things :Y: :perfect:
End of topic for me.

If I had paid to be there. Anything I find would be mine..
If I was sucking up to the land owner just so i could get on his property then yes no matter how big the find i personally would tell them..I would be happy that i found it and got some pics and recognition For the find. If I got to keep it than that's a bonus...As for the real world I live in it every day lol. I have batteled financially all my life and i am definitely no Angel. And what makes you think I have not handed over a small fortune before. :8
But hey we are all differnt :Y: :Y:
Good luck and dont lick to many windows. :Y:

Smoky bandit said:
If I was sucking up to the land owner just so i could get on his property then yes no matter how big the find i personally would tell them..I would be happy that i found it and got some pics and recognition For the find. If I got to keep it than that's a bonus...As for the real world I live in it every day lol. I have batteled financially all my life and i am definitely no Angel. And what makes you think I have not handed over a small fortune before. :8

I know I said end of topic for me but Smokey bandit I admire your honesty and being a straight shooter and saying it as you see it :Y: :Y: a quality I like to see in a person :)
I certainly dont doubt the fact that you have had to hand over something of value if this has happened to you and you say so.
I was only stating my hypothetical views in regards to that type of scenario, and to be brutally honest with you I dont know what path I would go down if I was in a similar situation :/ Im just lucky I suppose of being spoilt with having a friends big property all to myself with no :poop: strings attached :perfect:
Apart from that it sounds like you and me have a few things in common!
Life has a funny way of making me keep them windows clean hey! :lol: :lol:

Licking windows said:
Smoky bandit said:

I know I said end of topic for me but Smokey bandit I admire your honesty and being a straight shooter and saying it as you see it :Y: :Y: a quality I like to see in a person :)
I certainly dont doubt the fact that you have had to hand over something of value if this has happened to you and you say so.
I was only stating my hypothetical views in regards to that type of scenario, and to be brutally honest with you I dont know what path I would go down if I was in a similar situation :/ Im just lucky I suppose of being spoilt with having a friends big property all to myself with no :poop: strings attached :perfect:
All good mate.
We were asked what would we do and I said it.
And yes it would be tempting but for me there would be only one choice. I value the trust from a land owner far more than any monerty value. I went there a poor man and I'm happy to go home a poor man. But at least I know I will always have somewhere else to hunt fish and camp. :) :Y:
No hard feeling from me mate.This is just what I would do.:Y: :)

Dog Ranger said:
Not sure I understand your question?
You stated originally that a condition of being allowed on their land was the land owner was welcome to anything that interested them?
So now why are you concerned that they may hold you to what you have already agreed to ?
As long as you honour what you have stated then l cannot see an issue ? Well no issue unless they were just sweet words to get you in the door :eek:
So I have to ask, is it the landowner or yourself not honouring the deal when the eldorado is found that bothers you :(
The deals a deal :Y:

Id expect its wholey understood that items of intrest and items of significant value are two totally different things, to suggest that theyre the same I thing is being pedantic about the wording of my offer. In a perfect world, it would be an unspoken rule that both parties would share any significant monetary gains.

If Im out there busting my guts and manage to unearth something that is of significant value, that potentially would otherwise never have been found, while I would not be legally entitled to anything (as Im aware, not sure if any precedents have been set) I believe it would be a good show of faith to at least share a portion of the find with myself! The reason for my initial question was because Ive seen first hand how money makes some people do some crazy stuff, which they otherwise wouldnt!

Some of these people who called/messaged me asked what my services cost, to which I obviously told them its free of charge and I would appreciate the opportunity. I specifically stated that I metal detect for pieces of our past, Im not a gold detectorist!

As I stated before, after the advice given here, I wont be asking for any sort of agreement written or otherwise in regards to finds. Lets be honest, all that Im going to come away with is (hopefully), some coins/buttons etc etc, which in itself has me excited! First time leaving thrashed out parks to head towards some new adventures, meeting some new friends and building good relationships! First and foremost I want to make the owner happy, so that they tell their friends about me, possibly gaining me access to more lands.

Smoky bandit said:
Licking windows said:
Smoky bandit said:

All good mate.
And yes it would be tempting but for me there would be only one choice. I value the trust from a land owner far more than any monerty value. I went there a poor man and I'm happy to go home a poor man. But at least I know I will always have somewhere else t
o hunt fish and camp. :) :Y:
Your a good bloke Smokey and as I said to you I appreciate your straight shooting :Y:
Definitely no hard feelings my end either in fact I wouldnt even mind catching up with you one day for a frothy :perfect:
Im gunna leave this topic right here and I look forward to having a chin wag with you on the next one :)

Smoky bandit said:

Some of the inquiries I got were asking me how much it would cost THEM for me having the absolute privilege of detecting on their lands :lol:

Licking windows said:
Smoky bandit said:
Licking windows said:
Smoky bandit said:

All good mate.
And yes it would be tempting but for me there would be only one choice. I value the trust from a land owner far more than any monerty value. I went there a poor man and I'm happy to go home a poor man. But at least I know I will always have somewhere else t
o hunt fish and camp. :) :Y:
Your a good bloke Smokey and as I said to you I appreciate your straight shooting :Y:
Definitely no hard feelings my end either in fact I wouldnt even mind catching up with you one day for a frothy :perfect:
Im gunna leave this topic right here and I look forward to having a chin wag with you on the next one :)
Yer mate if ya around caboolture or surrounds..qld
But be warned one cold beer or Rum just any going to cut it :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Latest posts