advice wanted please

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi,

I am new to prospecting and will be heading out of sydney next week sometime to try my luck, I would like to ask for some help / advice on where I can go through some public / crown land or old gold fields not too far from sydney, i have been advised that hill end is mainly private owned land, can someone please point us in the right direction we we could go and enjoy nature and have a go at this exciting hobby.

I am also after a used gold detector if anyone is selling or thinking of upgrading up to $400 at this stage until i get a little bit of experience.

Thanks in advance

George

Hi George. You've posted in the right place, most people are celebrating Easter with their families so it might be a little quiet today.

There's still plenty of accessible land in Hill End and from what I hear there's still some nice gold being found via the Metal Detector, check out Gold Detecting in Hill End on YouTube.

Another place you might want to check out is the Turon River at Sofala (just outside Bathurst), it's only about 3 hours from Sydney and worth the trip if your into panning, sluicing or high-banking.

Cheers,
Nugget

thanks for your help Nugget appreciate it, thinking of hillend just trying to source more info where i can and cant go, just cant seem to find and info on locations to go so I can forward plan my trip

No worries, I won't be at my computer for most of today but when I get a chance I'll try to find some information and post it up for you.

George coming from sydney you will turn off at sofola to go to hill end. unless you are going to come in along the bridle track which begins at bathurst

Hi Everyone,we have just come back from a few days in the Mid Nth. Couldn't wait to try out my s/h Gpx 5000. Went up to Mt Grainger detecting around some of the mining areas,hill slopes,gullies,had the standard Mono coil on,tried the Special/Fine gold settings--amazed at signals of small bits fine wire, .22bullets,casings etc--no gold at all,but reckon if it was there may have found something!! I am going to do a practical course on how to use my detector in 2 weeks time through The Miner's Den. Has anyone done this course as it looks educational?? Regards Adelaide Retiree.

Hi George,
My mate Dale did the course with Miners Den Bendigo and swears by it !. Since he did the course he has only come home once i think wothout finding any gold at all. He now understands better how the settings affect each other etc and now shows others how to get their 5000 running at its best for the conditions here. So definitely worth doing mate, bring a little note book with you so you can jot down stuff like best settings for fine gold etc as you then have the original optimum settings to go back to when you start adjusting settings to suit your surroundings in different ground types. Hope this helps
regards Bill

Latest posts