Additional Access to Parks Vic

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teemore

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Bit of good news this morning on some additional areas being opened to prospecting in Victoria ...
Just need to get full details of which areas and what, if any, concessions were given up (restricting what we can do in all areas?)
Thanks PMAV
Cheers Tom

That's great everyone I was having a bad day until just then
Can't wait to here where as iv got a few spots picked out.

Here is a link to the Government's reply to the Report.

http://www.depi.vic.gov.au/__data/a...o-VEAC-Prospecting-Investigation-Feb-2014.pdf

It is also worth having a look at the report itself to understand in detail all the issues and to view maps of the areas.

http://www.veac.vic.gov.au/investig...additional-prospecting-areas-in-parks/reports

Despite a lot of effort, the result is a lot less than PMAV had been working for, which illustrates the power of the green machine -- and I don't mean the Raiders!

There is something for panners and detectorists but sluicers are the big losers.

It will all take time and then is up for a further review after 12 months, so don't start packing the car yet.

Nothing really to get excited about for the Central Goldfields - still some excellent areas locked up and will probably stay that way.

Nothing for us down here and no sluices or highbankers pans only in the new areas.
(b) be subject to the following conditions and
restrictions:
(i) only non-mechanical hand tools may be used
(ii) explosives must not be used
(iii) any excavation must be kept to a minimum
and must not exceed one cubic metre
(iv) sluices and motorised equipment must not be
used for processing excavated material
(v) any tree or shrub must not be damaged or
removed
(vi) any damage to ground layer vegetation must
be kept to a minimum
(vii) any damage to the land arising out of
searching must be repaired on the same
day as the damage is caused (including the
reinstatement of litter, soil, rocks and debris
removed during searching)
(viii) any park infrastructure including roads, vehicle
tracks, bridges, culverts, drains, constructed
walking tracks, camping grounds, picnic
areas or any other specifically designated
areas must not be dug, excavated, damaged,
disturbed or otherwise interfered with

Balx said:

Sounds to me like as long as you're not using a sluice and motorised equipment at the same time you should be ok. They key is they use the word "and", not the word "or".

mfdes said:
Balx said:

Sounds to me like as long as you're not using a sluice and motorised equipment at the same time you should be ok. They key is they use the word "and", not the word "or".

Yes - i read it the same way. To my mind the proposed legislation seems to aim to limiting the prospecting activity to the traditional / historical practices of the gold rush era. In gold mining "a sluice is a channel or trough constructed with grooves into which a current of water is directed in order to separate gold from the ore containing it" so perhaps provided the current of water was not delivered by motorised means my thinking is that a small backpackable river sluice or rocker box would be okay. Needs clarification though but they just might deliberately keep the definition "grey" ..........

casper

In fact there are 8 areas which have been opened up for prospecting, BUT, you can only pan in those areas, AND other areas which could be worked by sluicing are now panning only. In addition, the whole process of new areas will be under close watch with a review at the end of 12 months, so enjoy it while it lasts, because I am certain at the end of 12 months they will lock them up again.
If you visit the Woolshed Valley near Eldorado, leave your sluice or high banker at home because the are no longer legal.
If you think they will stop here you are mistaken. In the wording in the document there is an inference that sluicing could be banned everywhere.
Sadly the government decision is another win for detector operators and a loss for alluvial miners.
Its about time alluvial and hard rock prospectors were given a voice and given a fair go.
We lost dredging in 1990, we lost sluicing in our area in 2014, and I have had phone calls re someone from PMAV saying on air that they have had a win. You are kidding me.
In fact Casper to clarify things the VEAC document specifically says the use of sluices will not be permitted. That includes river sluices and cradles.
I feel for the owners of the little caravan park at Eldorado whose main customers are gold prospectors and most of them stay for multiple nights and most use a sluice of some kind.
This will hurt them heaps.

Puddler Bill said:
In fact there are 8 areas which have been opened up for prospecting, BUT, you can only pan in those areas, AND other areas which could be worked by sluicing are now panning only. In addition, the whole process of new areas will be under close watch with a review at the end of 12 months, so enjoy it while it lasts, because I am certain at the end of 12 months they will lock them up again.
If you visit the Woolshed Valley near Eldorado, leave your sluice or high banker at home because the are no longer legal.
If you think they will stop here you are mistaken. In the wording in the document there is an inference that sluicing could be banned everywhere.
Sadly the government decision is another win for detector operators and a loss for alluvial miners.
Its about time alluvial and hard rock prospectors were given a voice and given a fair go.
We lost dredging in 1990, we lost sluicing in our area in 2014, and I have had phone calls re someone from PMAV saying on air that they have had a win. You are kidding me.
In fact Casper to clarify things the VEAC document specifically says the use of sluices will not be permitted. That includes river sluices and cradles.
I feel for the owners of the little caravan park at Eldorado whose main customers are gold prospectors and most of them stay for multiple nights and most use a sluice of some kind.
This will hurt them heaps.

Yes i agree that the Highbanker's days are most likely numbered however i don't get from the document AND other areas which could be worked by sluicing are now panning only although it my may well go that way eventually.

If i read and understand correctlyy the panning (hand tools only) restriction will only apply to the Eight new areas to be opened up in Victorian State Parks and National Parks and apply only for the trial period, otherwise it's business as usual under the current Miners Right provisions. I'm happy to be corrected...

casper

Here it is.......In the Ministers words.

Ministers Foreword
I am pleased to present the Victorian Governments response to the Investigation into additional prospecting areas in parks
report by the Victorian Environmental Assessment Council (VEAC).
The Government appreciates the thorough work VEAC has done for this investigation and recognises the important role
VEAC plays in providing independent advice to the Victorian Government on matters of public land and environmental
management. VEAC has drawn upon scientific and community knowledge of recreational prospecting on public land in
its investigation.
In its report VEAC clearly acknowledges the enjoyment that some Victorians derive from recreational prospecting. VEAC
found that recreational prospecting can be enjoyed whilst having low impact on the environment; however, there is potential
for impacts on natural and cultural heritage values, particularly in and around waterways. The government response to
VEACs report has been written within this context and builds upon VEACs findings and recommendations.
The Victorian Government is committed to environmentally appropriate use of our public land, including national parks,
to ensure Victorians get maximum benefit from the states world class natural assets.
Accordingly, in line with VEACs recommendations there will be eight new areas opened to recreational prospecting.

The Victorian Government has also taken a decision, based on VEACs advice, to no longer allow any mechanical equipment
to be used for recreational prospecting, or the processing of materials, anywhere in Victorias national parks (this does not
include metal detectors).

There will also be a review of compliance with new regulations one year from the implementation
of the new prospecting areas. These areas remaining open to recreational prospecting will be subject to the outcome of
the review.
I would like to thank all those in the community who participated in the investigation or made submissions. The outcomes
of this investigation by VEAC, and the recommendations of its report, will continue to be a valuable guide for the Victorian
Government into the future.
THE HON RYAN SMITH MP
Minister for Environment and Climate Change

The critical point here is ANY National Parks not just the 8 new areas. I have asked for clarification from Ryan Smith and have also asked that VEAC conduct a full and proper investigation into the use of sluices under a MinerS Right as they did for Eductor Dredging way back in 1990.

True....... The critical point here is ANY National Parks not just the 8 new areas. By definition it doesn't include the State forests where most of us fossick and detect. National Parks have always been out of bounds for us but now we're going to be allowed in on a trial basis. (NB: Fossicking is allowed in specified areas in some State Parks).

I agree that we need a determination on types of sluices - thanks for taking the initiative.

casper

National Parks have not always been out of bounds. Currently it is legal to prospect with a sluice in The Chiltern Mt.Pilot National Park, in the area along the 27kms of creek between Eldorado and Beechworth. There are other Parks where prospecting has been permitted also.
Under the proposed rule change you will no longer be able to prospect in the previously mentioned area with a sluice or pump or other contrivance other than a pan and sieve.
State forest activity is separate however, I can guarantee that if sluices etc. are banned from use in a Nat. Park, it will only be a matter of time b4 they are banned everywhere. I have seen this so many times before over the last 35 years or so.

When you try to get more you bring attention to the rules and regulations at a risk getting less then you started with. If they were to ban sluicing I wonder if the penalties would be the same as for dredging? The DEPI officers I spoke to in the bush seemed very brainwashed, I pointed out a 150 year old tree all knarly with burles and hollows and I commented on what a nice tree it was,they disagreed pointing out 40 year old dead strait regrowth saying that they were nice tree's? For what? Timber? They also informed me that panning for gold does more damage then logging? They definitely are in full support of logging! Loggers have logged about 40 acres of nature reserve around here which the DEPI must have approved of. Wonder if anyone got a Christmas Bonus? DEPI why the name change and at what cost?

This is disappointing news. They will make our hobby an illegal pastime.
What they fail to realise gold fever cannot be cured and there will be people who continue to prospect regardless of the regulations.
Then they will lose the community who are the guardian's of the bush.
The social and economical damage will have an impact on the small towns and business located near goldfields. I bet they haven't done proper feasibility studies on families and whole communities that will be affected by these ridiculous laws.

I would love to see how many Parks employees are to be made redundant when tracks and camp grounds are closed.

The problem is the people that did this review and the people and greenies who advised them have never spent any time out in the bush. To even suggest a prospector with hand tools could ever do more damage to a river or creek system than what Mother Nature can do in full flood is ridiculous. They need to get up from their desks and spend some time in the bush and witness mother natures fury. The first significant rain or flood that comes through and you would never know that a prospector had been there.

I can't see small stream sluices being totally banned, in National Parks maybe but not other places. They are essentially a hand tool, with no moving parts at all.

They specified sluices in the provided information so I see no reason why they will allow any type of sluice.

Latest posts