Ace 250 on the beach

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldpick

Chris Johnson
Reaction score
I gave the Infinium and Coinmaster GT a break, and took the Ace 250 to the beach tonight, gridding up an area of dry sand to search over. I ran it in jewellery mode in case I came across the elusive gold ring (hence the foil and pull tabs targets dug up), and came away pretty impressed with it. It managed to pluck out 12 coins, including a Year of the Older Persons $1 coin, and a World War 1939-1945 "Dancing Man" $1 coin. This detector is so easy to use and such an honest little machine, it's not a depth master, but it runs quiet and the goldies always sound off nicely when the coil passes over them with that hectic bell tone, whilst the small decimal coins come up nice and sharp. :)

I found that the Ace will run quiet in the wet sand with the sensitivity run a few notches lower, but I was really aiming for recent drops from today's beach goers in the dry.

I ran the large DD coil, as I find it a lot easier to pin point with, so much so that I barely had to use my pinpointer. Funny thing is that pull tabs seem to be a rarer find these days, with bottle tops being the new scurge of the beach.

On another note, I am really missing my Tesoro Vaquero with the NEL Sharpshooter, probably wasn't the best decision to sell it for the Coinmaster GT, not that it is a bad machine, just not my cup of tea so far - I'm more of a beep and dig type guy ;) . So if anyone is in the market for a near new GT with original box and accessories, or wants to do a swap for a Tesoro Silver Umax or similar, please let me know. :)

1391713796_img_20140207_051618.jpg

You know you've got a goldie when it sounds like a poker machine win.
(do not gamble, keep your money)

Nice clean up.
Being patient in trashy areas can pay off.
I heard about a guy that found 2 gold sovereigns on a local beach that I have already detected recently.
I gave up after finding about 3 kilo of lead. Sheet stuff they used to use for flashing.
Should have persevered through the trash. DOH!!

Might go back there one day.

Second night with the Ace 250 at the beach, a very balmy night with rain threatening at some stages -sweated my ass off. I ran in all metal mode this time, hence the addition of iron targets, but found that when I pressed the pinpoint button sometimes in the dark, I accidently pressed the poxy eliminate button as well, possibly notching out some good targets at some stage, oh well, live and learn.

Pretty crappy night really, one lonely 5c piece, what looks to be a silver ring, but no hallmark, and a nice looking "gold" bracelet with some sparkly stones in it. Definitely a plated bracelet unfortunately, and most likely zirconias.

Funny thing about the bracelet is that I was cursing and swearing to myself over some twits that left their takeaway food containers and beer bottles oll over the place tonight. Ended up detecting around the bottles on the first pass, then ran the detector over them on the second pass, and found the bracelet - karma I guess! :D

Also had a chat to a young fellow who had just come out from a swim, and was interested in what detecting was all about, he complimented me on the fact that I was picking up all rubbish that I found in the process of looking for the good stuff - a bit of good PR goes a long way these days! ;)

There were some real nice looking gutters exposed at low tide, so I reckon I might come back to the same spot with the Infinium to look for some deeper targets.

1391878044_img_20140209_031715.jpg

1391878073_img_20140209_031744.jpg

Cripes, nearly forgot to add this nice looking hairband, nothing of any worth, still something different though.

1391878836_img_20140209_033049.jpg

Its great to see that you are scoring well with the Ace250. I should use mine more often as I have been running my ATX exclusively since I first received it.
My brother used the Ace250 at Hill End last week while I ran the ATX and he was also quite busy digging targets. No gold but there are a lot less .22 casings and nails.

I like the fact that you can "set and forget" the ace, no need to look at depths, numbers, notches etc, just listen for the noises. Even if its recovery speed isn't great, it doesn't matter, the initial signal is simply an indicator of what is there, as you use pinpoint mode to accurately find the target anyway. I use the Ace to cover a lot of ground, whereas the PI Infinium gets used for deeper stuff and water targets as it has a lot slower swing speed than the Ace. :)

Yet another run with the Ace 250, down at the usual area. Just needed to wait a few days for the beachgoers to replentish the coins after a few spells of hot weather.

Ran on Jewellery mode again, about two bars down from max on sensitivity, and managed to pick up 15 coins ($11.40), including a Sir Charles Kingsford Smith $1coin. Other items include a charm bracelet (silver?), small toe ring, key, bottle opener, and a lone tent peg.

Met up with a fella whilst detecting, and he indicated that someone lost their wedding nearby, and that there was a notice posted on the loss at the entrance to the beach. Needless to say, I went in search of the notice which did indicate the rough location of the ring, but I had no luck finding it - am guessing someone else found it and had since ripped down the notice??

He also complimented me on my persistant gridding of the beach, ensuring that no signal escaped the wrath of the diminutive Ace, he was also a local that detects the same beach - and with an Ace as well. From the gridding I have done recently, I can only say that it is the best method to consistently come up with worthwhile targets, randomly detecting the beach is really hit and miss (more likely miss). :p

1392225808_img_20140213_025915.jpg

So far over the last couple of months of casual detecting, I am getting up to around $70 in coins, amongst other items of interest, not a huge amount compare to some detectorists, but I don't exactly do this full time.

I figured that a good idea would be to spend the dosh on buying some collectable silver coins off ebay, like the uncirculated 1986 South Australian jubilee $10 silver coin I recently bought (92.5% silver). These silver coins go for around $20ea, and look a lot better than a bunch of dirty ol coins. May as well collect the other coins on offer for each state, or buy a few proof coins (already have a few 1966 silver 50c coins) :)

1392227087_img_20140213_040414.jpg

1392227112_img_20140213_040439.jpg

1392227148__57.jpg

Took the Ace out tonight dodging rainstorms and stiff winds, decided to try a different beach this time out west. First few minutes pulled out a 50c coin, started gridding, then nothing...nothing...nothing, always the way! Determined not to give up against the elements, I move further down the beach where a decent swell and waves had stripped a layer off the top end of the beach. Got a good signal straight away, pulled out a coin, then another, and another, until I cleaned out near on 20 coins from a 20 odd metre length of the beach. All the coins were occurring in only a thin strip about a metre wide, from 1977 20c to 2013 $1 coins. Couldn't believe so many coins in quick succession, from such a confined area.

Will look at going back with the Infinium to see if there are any deeper targets, plus more erosion - whilst not a Kings Ransom, it was certainly fun, and it defintely pays not to give up! :)

1392740412_img_20140219_023455.jpg

Latest posts