Absolute Beginner needs help with buying a suitable first detector.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm an absolute newbie who has stood on the sidelines very interested but un involved until now.
I live on the Mid Coast of NSW and I'm finally ready to get started swinging the coil as it t'wer.

So, I've been doing some googling, reading and watching YouTube clips and reviews, but have become bogged down with lingo I've yet to understand, and pros and cons to consider when choosing your first detector.

Can you help please.

Id like to start on the beaches near my home and so i'm wanting waterproof options, Id like to have headphones involved, I'm unsure about bluetooth? It needs to be lightweight too.

Im interested in all sorts of finds but would also like my machine to have the option of detecting gold and silver!

I'd rather not be burdened with too many knobs, buttons and flashy 'for the sake of it' stuff.

I've read a lot about the Minelab 705 as being a good place to begin........??

It would be great to get some of your experienced opinions and advice. If you have a minute to reply that would be really helpful and appreciated.

So excited and happy to have found this forum! Cheers all. :koala:

G day.
I wouldn't recomended the 705 for the beach.Its good on dry sand but will test your patience on wet sand.
The Nox 800 would have to be one of the best multi use detectors on the market. There are others but for for the price the 800 is a winner. :Y:

Hi Luckynugget, and welcome to P.A.

I've never detected a beach (too far inland) so I can't help you there, but I'm sure there are people on here who will know the best machine to use. Good luck in your hunting!

Hi and welcome :) from what I understand the Equinox 800 is a winner. or 600 if you find one.
I don't detect at the beach, i only go there to surf!
Good luck !

Welcome to the forum Luckynugget,check out the Nokta Simplex,it is new on the market around $490,waterproof to 3 meters.

Latest posts