abandon Old Stone farm homes/Huts

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgmhot

Rodger
Reaction score
Went out today to for swing around some of those old abandoned stone farm homes. Well never again I think, so many junkie hits, corrugated roofing bits, nails and lots of nothing. Cold! 3 different places and a 1c piece for my efforts. And the smell at one place, arh it was bad.

Anyone had any luck with these places?

30 years ago with my first bounty hunter metal detector those places easily provided many coins and relics.

rgmhot said:
Went out today to for swing around some of those old abandoned stone farm homes. Well never again I think, so many junkie hits, corrugated roofing bits, nails and lots of nothing. Cold! 3 different places and a 1c piece for my efforts. And the smell at one place, arh it was bad.

Anyone had any luck with these places?

Yeah I've had luck with those places in SA. Old axe heads etc.

Lots of those types of places around Kadina, Moonta. But most have been raided years ago. Still get lucky every now and then.

I'm not sure what machine you were using but old home sites etc can yield some awesome results. I just discriminate more heavily and load up with a big coil. But there are easier areas. If you hita great find early is amazing how much time and digging you'll begin to do. If your after coins try starting out in the old high traffic areas I wound consider this to be the quickest way home. But that said my make its suited for this sort of task which is half the battle.

Im using the xterra with the 15" wot 7.5htz. I went over the door ways and all round the out side. Just junk. So I changed the settings as I went but still junk. May be next time.

I'm detecting a house that burnt down 60 years ago !! Found a sweet patch i think must be underneath the dressing /writing table. ..coins , medallion, ink well ..no junkies but got a he'll of a fright when I lifted a piece of the old stove top..Brown snake !! And that was just last week

Look for a tree at the back of the house that has a
round indent around it chest high or
A bit higher depending if tree is leaning.

Imagine wire tied around a tree and it stays tight around
The tree as the tree grows the wire remains and the tree
Grows out around it. Hope this makes sense. This is where
The clothes line was attached and its where you need to
look as well. Somewhere once stood the clothes line.

The question is where.

Hope this helps.

Gday wolfau, what would you expect to find around the clothes line area? Why there in particular? You seem very specific about that spot...
Darren

Sandta said:
Gday wolfau, what would you expect to find around the clothes line area? Why there in particular? You seem very specific about that spot...
Darren

Dropped coins and tokens from clothes being washed.

Pants get hung to dry with some wind as pants dry
they get lighter Start to flap in the wind and then as
soon as the water dries Between coin and pants pocket
Cloth the coin or token drops to the ground.

This depends as well how pants were hung but as they
Get taken off the coins or tokens still drop.

It depends on the area and the year. You may find coins
Only. If the homestead has been around since 1860 expect
To find some cool tokens.

The other thing which i forgot to mention is imagine where
The horse and cart would stop for passengers to hop off.
This area yields same results including brooches but you
need to look at the ground closely and you may see tracks
where its been compacted with horse cart weight nothing
grows there.

Will post some of my finds soon.

So instead of attacking an area with a detector you need
To investigate by asking locals questions or by trying to
Find archived photos or going to the site and tackling it
From a csi perspective. Stand back and analyse how the
House was approached by horse and cart where the drive
Way could be and where the clothes line was and so on.

Heard this story about 30 years ago and not sure how long prior that it happened, but a person was pulling down one of the old style clothes lines in their back yard in Hobart, the old two post with wooden cross piece type with wires strung between. A large bolt, nut and washer secured the T pieces to the posts. Closer inspection of the washers revealed that they were holey dollars still in good condition and worth an absolute fortune these days.
Perhaps some other forum members have heard this story and can provide more detail.

Anything is possibble fox.

Back in the day you had to make do with what you had
Because there were no large hardware stores around the
Corner.

The old clothes lines were more made out of wire.

What you need though is a detector that can unmask
Iron really well among the goodies.

My next purchase will be a whites v3i for this task because
It runs on 3 frequencies and gives you the output of 3. Its
Like 3 detectors running side by side.

This machine is for experienced users. People buy detectors
Due to popularity without having an inkling of its capability.

For example on a low khz vlf machine such as 3 or 5
you would Miss very small gold targets compared to 19.
Having the ability To anaylse with 3 frequencies i think
would help in high trash Iron Areas.

I already own a cz3d tuned by Tom that can "crackle"
on half Cent piece buried at around 7".

Its fun being out there so enjoy it while you can.

Don't let it worry you to much RGMHOT. I've dug heaps on sites like that. Just rubbish everywhere. But even the Pro Diggers will tell you 'once you dig up all the rubbish, all that's left is the sweet stuff'. Just make sure even if you think its rubbish to dig it anyway and recheck your holes because the junk might be masking the treasure. It's happened to me a few times.

I dug up a can, rechecked the whole and found a silver ring. First I was nearly ready to give up, then BOOM baby. Back in the game.

NEVER GIVE UP, YOUR TIME WILL COME!!

Latest posts