A spoon from the past

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a table spoon i found many years` agoin the GT that looked like it had been lying on the ground for many years before that .
It had a green tinge with surface rust type of look to it. The pictures don`t do it justice ,but it looks very old.

The only ID i got off it was the stainless nickel mark pressed into the back of it . The red arrow shows where it is on the spoon before i cleaned it up.

There doesn`t appear to be any other maker`s marks on it ,so is this just another spoon from a long time ago ? Should there be another spot to scratch / clean up on the spoon where the maker`s mark may be ?

1586230197_spoon2.jpg

1586230216_spoon1.jpg

1586230249_spoon3.jpg

1586230267_spoon4.jpg

just starting said:
The only ID i got off it was the stainless nickel mark pressed into the back of it . The red arrow shows where it is on the spoon before i cleaned it up.

There doesn`t appear to be any other maker`s marks on it ,so is thisjust another spoon from a long time ago ? Should there be another spot to scratch / clean up on the spoon where the maker`s mark may be ?

From the streamlined shape, it's probably not as old as recent spoons on PA and as it states honestly what it's made from, I doubt there will be any other marks under the corrosion. Those makers' marks imitating silver hallmarks were just a marketing gimmick to make cheap shiny-plated tableware look like proper solid silverware to the untrained eye.

You can see the same ploy still in use today in any pharmacy, with their racks of cheap sunnies that are carefully styled and branded to closely resemble high-priced designer brands.

Thanks, Grubstake. I took another pic of the design on the end of it .I don`t know if this design means anything or not.
When taking the pic and zooming in , i noticed some small marks in the cup of the spoon under the surface rust ,so i`ve dunked it in vinegar and salt and will leave it for a couple of days to see if anything else appears. Can`t hurt to see what may be there . If anything comes of it , i will post it here.

1586238652_spoon5.jpg

Thanks.

FOZ

Reckon we still had a couple with that design on the end when I was a kid (80s). Reckon they were hand me downs from grandma so probably 30s to 40s. Before that EPSN was popular and pre-1870 most of it was genuine silverware.

Latest posts