A different kind of Gold. Pittwater YHA

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Over the last 17 years or so MrsM and myself have been making the pilgimage to the Pittwater YHA just for a quick getaway and recharge the old batteries. Been doing it BC....[before children] and ever since the LittleM's can carry a backpack they've been climbing the mountain with us, mind you very much under protest but they manage well.
Just a great spot to kick back and catch up with some family time. Cooking,eating, playing board games, fishing and plainly lazing about without phones or computers [again under protest]
qvxq.jpg

Everyday we take the walk to the jetty and the girls sunback and dad fishes.... I see that as a good deal
bz8a.jpg

u4lo.jpg

This years fish were very nice. Bream at 35cm [and a Snapper at 30cm] And everything fished from the jetty.
You cant beat freshly cooked fish and a cold beer chaser .
Our last evening there was memorable in many ways. Had the fire drum lit and roasting marshmallows on it put the local wildlife on parade. Scrub turkeys, lyre birds, magpies and wallabies. But the most fun was the French tourists we bumped into. Asking all sorts of questions about being a tourist in Australia and how safe is the outback. After sharing some marshmallows the LittleM's told them to put Vegimite behind their ears when bushwalking to stop the Dropbears from attacking. I was appaled at their behavious so I tried to set things straight ....and a self appointed ambassador for promoting tourism in this great country of ours I promptly set things straight with our new found friends ....by showing them a video which encapsulates the essence of the Australian fauna......
[video=480,360]http://youtu.be/eNEeq5qGh8I[/video]
We were all on the floor in tears and our new friends had turned pale but after a few more marshmallows and drinks everything was sorted... :lol:
The YHA at Pittwater has always been a great place for me and my family over the years and I just wanted to share this Jewel with my friends on the forum. For those of us in Sydney its the closest place Ive found to go that feels a million miles form Sydney. No high expectations from the place. As basic as it comes....but loaded with value.
And just a quick thank you to Sara and Michael the managers and our friends for keeping the place so friendly.
Cheers
Chris

its true about the vegemite and dropbears

i have been putting vegemite behind my ears for years ever since i was told and i have never been hit by a dropbear yet !

they dont come near me .

seriously nice spot though Chris . and so close to town too

Very nice Chris, now I know what I will be eating on our next trip LOL :lol:

I can almost see my boat in that photo! Set up a couple of headlamps on the poles facing the water at night and watch the squid come! Also during winter you can get tasty John Dory there if you put in a bit of time. Hairtail make it that way too . A dingy drift will always get you flathead and the flounder like in your pic ....

Kingsolomon said:
I can almost see my boat in that photo! Set up a couple of headlamps on the poles facing the water at night and watch the squid come! Also during winter you can get tasty John Dory there if you put in a bit of time. Hairtail make it that way too . A dingy drift will always get you flathead and the flounder like in your pic ....
We've picked up flatty,blurters[little travelly] yellowtail on steroids,leatherjackets and such from there also
Ive always been meaning to get out onto the Hartail around there. Been talking about it for ages. Might have to pick your brains for some spots over that way King..... :)

Latest posts