65cm flathead

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went for a throw with mate after work,
His spot ... His gear ... He didnt catch shit :D
1414060172_image.jpg

1414060190_image.jpg

We cooked ... We ate ... We still mates ;)
1414060218_image.jpg

Can't wait to get onto the flatties up the south coast. What a beauty, decent size, great feed to match. I'm drooling. December can't come fast enough. Cheers mate.

Great flatty and I bet it tastes even sweet catching it in mates spot, his gear and him catching donuts ;)
What did you use, bait or plastics?

Ah Sandta..... flathead, my absolute favourite fish....drool drool.....explain the cooking method please, and how you still have your goolies after making that mess on the stove. (Mrs TT would not be impressed ;)

All flathead are born male and at a certain size turn female, like barramundi, so yes it is advised to release the bigger girls to keep the future stocks going but it's a personal choice to make, it would be hard to release your PB and the fact is the large girls don't taste as sweet as the smaller males.

You got it Jaros, thats why QLD has slot limits on Duskys - not allowed to take fish over 70cm up that way. Last dusky I had at 65 was dry and tough. Give me a box of Sand Flatties from off the reef edge any day of the week

cracka said:

Can you give some details on the first flathead? I've seen this picture before.

A 10kg flathead was caught and released in Lake Macquarie about 3 years ago.
Flathead to 13kg have been caught in st Georges basin apparently.

The one in the pic looks 7-8kg maybe 95-100cm

Tathradj said:
1 mile out of Tathra.
Tigers galore. :D
Plenty of real estate to share. .. I'll shout the first round. Every year I get up around there (that stretch of coastline) I find it harder to leave. Usually go on charter either from eden or merimbula depending on the fish type and likely success, but I haven't failed to bring the flatties back interstate yet.

How good is a feed of flathead.

I love fishing, my missus loves fishing probably more. The last few years or more (more on the more side)
We have lived in Katherine NT, chasing Barra and dodging crocs.

Darwin NT, again chasing Barra and GT and if we were lucky to get out off the coast, a great feed of coral trout.

Now Canberra, where we have been up the snowy chasing trout, the coast down the road chasing flathead and squid and to top that, we have Gold to be found.

I tell you what, don't we just live in the best country in the world. Oh and I nearly forgot, the folks live in Cairns so we really hate to travel up there to visit all the time. Lol

Loving life.

Lambi

Yep, bet you hate every minute of it Lambi......I would :p
That's pretty awesome though, hard to ask for more from life.

Latest posts