3500 or 4000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day everyone, just got a question for all the people out there more knowledgable than myself, so anyone is free to answer. I'm looking to upgrade to either a 3500 or a 4000. I currently run a 3000 and have been pretty happy with it, however the ground balance is a real pain. I have just heard a few bad things about the earlier 4000s and was wondering if anyone has had much to do with them. Also, would my current (older) coils work with the 4000, or am I better off sticking with a 3500? I definitely can't afford a 5000, but could probably splurge for a 4500 in a few months if I can use my current coils. Any info is much appreciated.

Nothing wrong with the 4k, but upgrading from the 3k to the 3500 and you'll not be as happy as going from the 3k to the 4k.

If you can hold off and get the 4500, you'll be even happier.

All the coils for your 3k will work fine on all the other models mentioned.

I agree the 4000 is a great detector and underrated in my opinion. The 4500 is better again if you can afford it. I currently have the 5000 and to be honest would go back to either of the other two without qualm.
I have had the most success on the yellow with the 4000 over the years. :)

Thanks guys. Anyone had any issues with the earlier 4000's,and if so were they resolved by mminelab?

The only issue is the on of button on some 4000, no big issue just changed to a spring returned toddle switch by ML regards john :)

If you can stretch the budget to a 4500, it will be as good as a 5000 in 99% of our gold fields. Have several pro mates who work with me in WA every year, and they get as much with the 4500's as with the 5000's. I've run both and to be honest can't really see much difference in the two machines. A couple of extra timings for a couple of extra grand isn't going to get you a couple of extra nuggets.

Thanks very much for the info, definitely keen to upgrade, so I will have to keep my eyes open for some deals on this forum. Thanks again, also, is there anyone who can service coils?

Had a conversation with a WA prospector recently and he pretty much indicated most serious prospectors in WA were using the 4500 and damn happy with them. Just passing on this info if it helps.

Some of the 4000's and early 4500's had ground balance drift problems when in fixed. You'd be in fixed, the ground wouldn't change but the balance did. Sometimes you would be digging out a target and have it set and then the target would sound softer or almost vanish. You'd check the balance and it was miles out yet you really did nothing for it to be so, balance it again and all was good. Another problem with them, on the 45, the early ones, was scratchiness at times in the audio. The problem was the on off switch. Machine was ok but scratchy, you'd flick the switch, by that I mean flick it on or off rather than hold pressure on it all the way through the process and the scratchy static like noise would go. Don't know if it was officially "recognised publically" by Mlab but mine and others had the switch replaced and problem was gone. 45's a real good machine though. Prefer the 5 but that's me.

Thanks guys for all the advice, picked up a 4500 for a good price, verified the serial no. purchase receipt etc, and spoke to the seller on the phone. Should be here in a couple of days. Will be back in the NT early next year, but may have to make a trip to Clermont over Christmas to give it a run.

Latest posts