2013 finds Bushranger

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushranger

Paul
Reaction score
While the kids played the mad English game of cricket I ducked around the corner to the railway station for an hour. This is the haul!
1385801789_image.jpg

Today's finds. 1911 penny, 1922 half penny and a 1885 English half penny. All in pretty poor condition but still awesome to find.
1385882122_image.jpg

Great old coins there Bushranger, it is a shame a lot of the old pennies don't weather well, but great finds all the same. There would have to be some silvers there somewhere. :)

Goldandsand said:
Nice finds,great area up your way have you tried any of the old wharfs along the river ?
Tried a local ferry crossing but all the targets were really deep due to flood silt. Finding ring pulls at 30cm+! :eek:

Very cool Bushranger! Could you tell a newbie likely places to look out for at a railway station? It is nit obvious to me apart from the car parks.

Bushranger,

Great finds,yes it is a shame so much copper is in poor condition but they are still old coins well done!

Paulmarr said:
Very cool Bushranger! Could you tell a newbie likely places to look out for at a railway station? It is nit obvious to me apart from the car parks.
I'm pretty new to detecting too! Research is the key. Kempsey has two shopping districts due to the river often being in flood. The railway station is in the older part of town. I used NAA site to find out when the railway opened and what buildings were around at that time. I found that there was a pub next to the station masters house then a car park, then the platform. The car park has been covered in grass over the years and is a vacant block. I just imagined I was in the pub then walking via the most direct route to the platform. Found pre decimal coins on that direct path. The rest were around trees between the masters residence and the station. Just got lucky I guess! :D
1385892762_image.jpg

Pretty cool that one coin is 22 years older than the station!

Latest posts