2013 finds bob

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob

Reaction score
I'm new to prospecting (almost two yrs.) but even newer to detecting (Nov 2012). Usually when I visit my father-in-law in the Wimmera I take my fly rod. In Jan this year the lake was virtually dry, has been since 2004 so I took my new Eureka Gold. The idea being to get in some much needed practise.

Day one, turned up some keys, ring pulls, nuts, bolts and foil from wrappers; lots of tiny pieces of it. All this rubbish was on or near the surface. Day two, I figured that I was working too close to the full level shoreline, so this morning I moved out further. This produced more of the same rubbish as the first day. The afternoon was different; going over the same area again produced some sinkers and decimals (1's, 2's 5's & 20's). All up $3.50. My father-in-law was impressed. He said that I should find some pennies as he used to dive for them, when he was a ten yr. old boy. Now I had a target. Day three, I went back to the same spot, an area about twenty metres square where I reckoned the old pier used to be. With all the surface rubbish gone detecting deeper targets was easier and I noticed I now had to dig deeper. A gold coloured ring and two pennies (1950,1955) were the treasures along with split shot, sinkers and some spinner blades. I was in the right area. Day four I only had the morning. I was now sure I had the right spot and went straight to there. Going over the area a third time turned up two more decimals (20's), a 1958 sixpence and a penny. It was a 1934 just the right age to belong to my Father-in-law.

It was a great way to learn about the detector and very surprising to find all the stuff; even more so when the guy emptying the bins said that travellers using the foreshore as a rest stop, detect the lake once a week.
1369841666_100_3950.jpg

The finds are not valuable by any means but it was great experience towards learning to use my machine and I have to say it was a lot of fun. I hope members find this post interesting. Cheers Bob.

Thanks for a great story Bob. Just goes to show that a place is never really picked clean and is worth a look.
Definitely a great way to spend your time and learn your machine.

Great places to swing the wand those lakes when they dry out. Sounds like you got a fair bit practice out there Bob, and good to see some coins come to light. Couple of great looking little rattlers too mate. Did you get them with the Eureka as well, ????

Cheers Wal, :)

Thanks for the reply Wal and Dogmatic. I have edited the photo. The rattlers were from another post that I sent to Au Fever about settings for the Eureka. I got them while panning last year. I am having trouble putting in the photo of the coins and am a bit rattled myself. Maybe the file is too big. Having fished the lake for over thirty five years I have an advantage in that I know the lakes average level and where the old pier was. I think the visitors just work close in and get fed up with the trash like I got on the first day and a bit. I had local knowledge but my father-in-law says that I'm not one yet.
Cheers Bob.

P.S I managed to add the photos. Thank goodness.

Someone may be able to help with the ring. It's gold in colour and is stamped but not with a standards mark but the word 'Octapex'. I have not been able to find any reference on the internet.
Cheers Bob.

Thanks for your reply Nugget. No stone or mounting for one. The face is an oval shape and it has some engraving on it.

Bob.

From the picture, it looks like a silvery colour underneath the gold, this might explain the absence of a purity mark.

Nugget, thanks for your reply and great detective work. I was searching on google as one word and getting nowhere. The hallmark says its not a valuable gold ring but the engraving would suggest it has value to the person who lost it. Maybe I'll try and find the owner.

Thanks heaps. Bob.

I think I should adopt the username Trash Heap or something similar.I seem to be drawn to them. Especially after a morning working the slopes for few targets and no gold. A few weeks ago I went to Heathcote to do just that; work a trash heap. I had found it at the end of another fruitless day (no gold) but really had to go, to beat the roos on the road. On returning I spent a morning digging nails, tacks and the odd bullet. After digging what appeared to be one target actually turned out to be many. The hole would be silent but checking and rechecking the dirt pile produced target after target.
After three hours I was ready to take a break. Definitely on my last hole. It was clear of targets and after getting three nails from the dig pile I thought I was done. But there was another signal still in the pile, a loud one. Scooping the dirt I located a disk shape. Some spit and a rub and I could see it was a worn coin. At the car a dunk in some hot tea and a scratch with a stick revealed my best find yet. An 1835 shilling. For all you seasoned coin shooters just a low value shilling but to me my best find yet. I'm hoping one day I may find a nugget hidden in one of these trash piles. I have read lots of stories about people finding gold after clearing out some of the trash. It's my observation that from the lack of holes where I had been looking, that people seem to avoid these trashy areas. My success is dependent on going where others detectors haven't been. If you have the right mind set digging the trash piles can be fun and sometimes rewarding. I keep a journal and I've logged GPS co-ords for two other trash piles for when I'm in the mood.
1370012317_100_3948.jpg

Cheers for Now
Bob.

Great story Bob and a tidy shilling to show. Its a hard slog finding treasure.
Good to see you're recording everything. Better than going over the same ground two and three times after you cleaned it out.
Good luck on your next outing

Good on ya Bob. For me it's the age of the coin or relic that appeals to me most not the value of the find. I really enjoy thinking of the person who last held the object and what their lives were like back then. They are the people who shaped our nation. Well done, Rick :)

Thank you for the replies. My thinking has changed since I first started detecting. I bought the detector to search for gold but I have really enjoyed finding lots of other things. For me now it is all about the thrill of the chase and interesting finds. After finding the shilling I did just what you said Rick. I thought of the person who lost it. I researched the value of the coin back then rather than its current value.I thought of a struggling miner, trying to make a living. The last six months or so here have been hot and dry, no water for miles. I would imagine the lost coin was very valuable to this miner back then.

Cheers Bob.

Latest posts