2013 finds ANGRE7

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
About a month ago my mate and I went out to an old "abandoned" town in SA for mainly photography and a possible snow chase (turns out 2.5 wasn't quite cold enough)

Anyways I was keen for a quick swing so gave a backyard a shot of a semi ruined house around the clothes line. No luck...however about 2m away i got a funky mixed jumpy signal. Thought what the hell i'll dig it.

out came a 1945 sixpence! Sweet my 2nd silver find....

Detector back over the hole still jumpy signal...

1947 Florin! Wow awesome

Wait another signal

Another 1947 florin

HUH its beeping again

ANOTHER 1947 FLORIN! :lol:

Checked the whole area again but no more signals. Found with the std 7.5 coil on an XTERRA 70, I now have a 3khz so would love to get back there another time and have a decent swing of the whole town.

20c and 2x1c's found in another part of the town.

1376993062_60726_10200700384490903_427331165_n.jpg

Thought i'd try a new spot hour drive away at a very small country town est 1845 on an old field/oval that had a cricket pitch in the middle. After swinging for about an hour and pulling various junk I finally hit a still sketchy but more decent signal, the ground was rock solid so after digging about 12" I finally saw the edge (after kissing it slightly :( )

Pulled out a massive coin, Thought maybe a cartwheel penny but after swinging for a while after and not finding anything i decided to call it (and I was hanging to get home and try and clean the caked clay off it)

b7s0.jpg

Tried cleaning in hot soapy water and scrubbing with solvol with no luck, in the end needed to use a small screwdriver and physically chisel/scratch the caked dirt off.

Not much detail left and couldnt see a date at all on the front, but after some more cleaning still not knowing what it was, did some research and matched the front design and found out the date was actually on the back not the front like i thought, so ruled out the cartwheel penny. Had to do some pretty serious macro photography to see traces of the date, confirming it was infact a:

1806 George III Copper Farthing :) Not quite the 1797 penny i thought, but not far off either.

9heo.jpg

That's an awesome find there ANGRE7!

Can't wait to hit something of that age! (well not actually hit it... lol)

SF

ANGRE7 said:
Thought i'd try a new spot hour drive away at a very small country town est 1845 on an old field/oval that had a cricket pitch in the middle. After swinging for about an hour and pulling various junk I finally hit a still sketchy but more decent signal, the ground was rock solid so after digging about 12" I finally saw the edge (after kissing it slightly :( )

Pulled out a massive coin, Thought maybe a cartwheel penny but after swinging for a while after and not finding anything i decided to call it (and I was hanging to get home and try and clean the caked clay off it)

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/5125/b7s0.jpg

Tried cleaning in hot soapy water and scrubbing with solvol with no luck, in the end needed to use a small screwdriver and physically chisel/scratch the caked dirt off.

Not much detail left and couldnt see a date at all on the front, but after some more cleaning still not knowing what it was, did some research and matched the front design and found out the date was actually on the back not the front like i thought, so ruled out the cartwheel penny. Had to do some pretty serious macro photography to see traces of the date, confirming it was infact a:

1806 George III Copper Farthing :) Not quite the 1797 penny i thought, but not far off either.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/5610/9heo.jpg

Excellent find. FYI when it comes to defining coin surfaces what most of us call the front of a coin is actually the back, the two surfaces are called Obverse and Reverse or if you're playing two up etc. they'll be called Heads and Tails.

It sounds all wrong doesn't - that the Oz Coat of Arms is on the back of the 50c coin and not the front. The front is where Betty Windsor's head is :D

Latest posts