Gold Coast "Call Someone Who Cares" Coin Shooting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey fellas I thought I would update you on my latest trip.
I decided a good spot to try would be the beach behind the Sheraton as it is also the beach used by anyone staying at Versace, therefore any jewellery would more than likely be real and maybe more coin because a lot of tourists in that area. I wander in a 4:30pm and the place is still packed so i go for a walk (empty handed) up and down looking for good spots to start, around 5:30 the beach is nearly empty so i grab the gear, plastic shovel and seive and cheapie detector. Literally half a second into it i pull out 20c, fill my hole and beeping again so i dig another 20c im thinking jeeze this is easy, well 2.5 hours later and about 500m north and south of where i parked all i had found was that 40c about 2000 spent sparklers old fence wire from the dune fences, nails and bottle caps....

The place had been raped. By a detector way better than me because they left only junk...

Annoyed and deflated on my way back to the car i see the tell tale drag marks dammit.

It got me thinking how many people detect Gold Coast beaches? Also a little lesson when i was walking pre swing i should have been looking for these marks....

Look forward to hearing from other Gold Coasters

Camoyakker :8

The one thing I think about when getting nothing from the beach is it will replenish with the tide action. I went out today but just missed low tide so found about the same. I also enjoy the fact of being out in the sun and fresh air, plus the girls tanning is a plus. Also been reading a fair bit on where to look for targets and it really is more than just rocking up and swinging unfortunately. Also reading up on best settings for the beach on my detector (Excalibur 1000) and find I have a bit to learn there as well

The dry sand detecting is eay pickings really, just grid up you area and dig everything, hence why those areas always seem worked out. You really have to have to ability to detect inwet sand or in the water to find anything of worth these days, or be in the right place at the right time, straight after an event. That's why I tend to not detect utra well known areas, as they are most likely to have already been worked over - 5c & 10c coins left behind is a good indication that you have already missed out.

You are probably better off detecting areas between the main beaches, or heavily populated areas, as gridding up a particular area can be fairly time consuming, and those that are out to cherry pick all the goldies will most likely stick to well known areas all the time. I've been down to the beach detecting at all hours, still yet to see another detectorist working in the same area, although I go out at ungodly hours to catch the low tide gutters when the beach is deserted. :)

If you do have a cheaper detector that only goes down a few inches, you really do want to be first in an area to get fresh drops, with a more expensive or PI detector, you can probably afford to see what was missed at depth or in the rush to clean out an area for the day.

kemjak57 said:
The rich people don't drop anything, That's why they're rich :D :D

Haha too true

Thanks for your input Goldpick, i also havent seen another detector in public for years, must all be fly by nighters ;)
Originally i was thinking if this hobby pays for itself i will afford a better dectector but at this rate it will take approximately 5625 hours to afford a new detector (not including batteries) 8.(

not just at the beach, but I often find something in the first 30 secs and then nothing for an hour, or nothing for 2 hours and then everything on the far side of the car on the way back to the car. Or I do a survey and walk from the car to a tree and find a penny and a 10c piece within a couiple of metres on a 40m line, and then begin gridding and find nothing else at all. How did I get the only coins on the field in the first 2minutes? If only I had the skill to know when I had found the last coin on site!

Muttering said:
not just at the beach, but I often find something in the first 30 secs and then nothing for an hour, or nothing for 2 hours and then everything on the far side of the car on the way back to the car. Or I do a survey and walk from the car to a tree and find a penny and a 10c piece within a couiple of metres on a 40m line, and then begin gridding and find nothing else at all. How did I get the only coins on the field in the first 2minutes? If only I had the skill to know when I had found the last coin on site!

You don't know how many times that has happened to me, very strange! The money was probably dropped by the last guy who stood there thinking that his only find was in the first couple of minutes! ;)

I spent an hour detecting a small section of sand recently and found about $13. On the way back to the car I had a swing over the grass. That night I pulled over $150 out of the grass and the next visit over $350. (see posts on this forum) Learn to pop coins in the grass and forget the beach. You'll never regret it.

camoyakker said:
kemjak57 said:
The rich people don't drop anything, That's why they're rich :D :D

Haha too true

Thanks for your input Goldpick, i also havent seen another detector in public for years, must all be fly by nighters ;)
Originally i was thinking if this hobby pays for itself i will afford a better dectector but at this rate it will take approximately 5625 hours to afford a new detector (not including batteries) 8.(

Cracked me up.

Shane said:
I spent an hour detecting a small section of sand recently and found about $13. On the way back to the car I had a swing over the grass. That night I pulled over $150 out of the grass and the next visit over $350. (see posts on this forum) Learn to pop coins in the grass and forget the beach. You'll never regret it.

Your totals continue to amaze me mate. With your profits you should buy a go pro and record your success and make a you tube video!

I can hop out of the car and walk strait over to the only silver coin of the day.
I've learned that when I think of silver(when those thoughts arise by themselves) I look to see which way the wind is coming from and detect strait into it, if I'm going to find silver, that'll do it.
I believe that our sense of smell is extremely good, if we only follow our intuition.
Silver has a halo from slow oxidization over time.
Mind you I may have trained my own nose during many hunts for Pre Dec silver.
Take a drive around with your windows down, and see where your nose leads you, if the thought of silver arises.
...............BELEIVE...............

Yes. Detect the grass. And so much grass is being overlayed with carparks and that rubberized safety mat.... 8.(

Get through that with a big blade screwdriver in an eighteen volt battery jack hammer while wearing night vision goggles in the wee hours of the morning dressed in black.....(not)