1M coils?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Like most people that prospect and have seen the "meteorite men" show I've developed an interested in the large coil set up they use.

Basically I want to make one, but.........I'm no expert.
I have some questions that could be put in the same bracket as "Where do you find gold?" hopefully there are some general guidelines to my questions for me to research.

Do you need to use a PI detector when using these large coils ? All the info I have found on the web uses PI tech with electronic values such as ohms which are specific to PI. I only ask as I have a old Minelab VLF I want to use to give this thing a go.

Basically I want to use it as a tow along so I can grid an area fast for deep targets, mark areas of interest for further investigation with hand held detector later.
Is this a viable practice? Is anyone doing it?

Any help appreciated. ;)

Thanks for the response :)
I have only been able to find one commercially available tow mat or antenna blanket as they call it and to be honest am seriously considering buying their package. Accurate locators is the company from memory.

Are you (or anyone else) aware of any other manufacturers of similar mat type coils?

edit: sorry I have also seen the Blackhawk detector that offer a ide range of set ups, I contacted the Australian seller via email some months ago and he quoted me some staggering amount. Lots more than a proven minelab 5k so I binned the idea however I recently revisited their site to find the price had dropped significantly to about half the price of a 5k.

Wintersnake said:
I have only been able to find one commercially available tow mat or antenna blanket as they call it and to be honest am seriously considering buying their package. Accurate locators is the company from memory.

Are you (or anyone else) aware of any other manufacturers of similar mat type coils?

edit: sorry I have also seen the Blackhawk detector that offer a ide range of set ups, I contacted the Australian seller via email some months ago and he quoted me some staggering amount. Lots more than a proven minelab 5k so I binned the idea however I recently revisited their site to find the price had dropped significantly to about half the price of a 5k.

Wintersnake
Be careful, if you are serious about spending the time to do this then be serious about the money spent to!!
You don't need the latest Minelab PI but from what I have read & learnt you do need a Minelab PI to do this effectively.

I know where there is a Gp 3000 for $2800.
cheers hope this helps.
Lee

Wintersnake said:

OKM Ltd make the blackhawk

Their name has been associated with other great products throughout history like snake oil , flying pigs , honest politicians , etc

there are far better charities around if you want to throw money at something with nil return.

search ebay for " litz wire" , a melbourne guy sells it and will tell you how many turns to use for your coil , ask him about making a drag coil , even if you walk in front of it you can cover large areas faster than sweeping with a large detector mount coil

i heard that really big coils can get up to 5 - 10 % more depth than a standard 11 inch . yes you read that correctly.

but a large drag coil does give the advantage of coverage speed

I like big coils

1382591175_skytem7.jpg

It's not that easy making your own coils it's not just a matter of how many turns, you need to make sure the finished coil is the right ohms measurement and that needs a special meter. Get it wrong and you may exceed the detectors circuit tolerances.
If you want to see what is involved look here:

http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t6394-grant-s-diy-pi-detector

You may also be interested in:

http://www.minelabmods.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=40

I'd recommend purchasing a coil suited to your detector.

Ok so by the sound of it PI is the only option, I was hoping to put this ol' VLF to use mite give it to the kids to pick around my paddocks.
That's a really good project thread you've done there Grant, I did notice your coil sort of vanished after you tried a coiltek one.

Looks like my big coil trials will need more investment in a early Minelab PI maybe a sd 2200 but it doesn't solve my Where to buy a drag coil issue? That's the only reason I'm entertaining making one.

Thanks for that second link Grant, that's what I want to do. The plan was to have a drag coil slightly wider than the quad so the lines overlap.
Have been out detecting today and man I need a better way to cover more ground especially now its sort of spring time and new growth is coming up every where, makes it really hard to swing a full arc.

Once again Grant thanks for the reply.

The 40" coiltek coil on the rubber mat will do the trick. A recommended 3M distance from the quad is a fair bit in the bush when you have to dodge trees, loam holes and old shafts. :rolleyes:

I feel your pain.
This is a quick pic of where I was today, I could only swing about a foot either way due to the bloody ferns. :|

1382604406_a_spot.gif.gif

And would you believe there are dozens of holes down this gully.

Wintersnake,
I think I am picking up some over enthusiastic vibes here. Are you serious about this idea or are you possibly new to the game and being a bit like a kid sitting in front of a whole ice cream cake? If its the latter then there is reasons why we dont all jump to super big coils that can be explained. You might be able to give us all a few tips on were you are at from a prospecting level so that more direct answers can be given. I dont mean to sound conceited as I am not and I am posting this with full sincerity.

hi just not long purchased a 40 x 20 nugget finder coil to drag behind a quad
it should be interesting to see if it can handle the ground up here in nth queensland

kind regards mick

Hey Mick
I would be very interested in seeing your set up in action when you get it going, will be interesting to see the minimum size nuggets it will pick up, as we all know you only need to find that one indicator nugget to lock onto a good patch & work it for all it is worth.
Good luck.
cheers
Lee

Latest posts