1877 One Shilling

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Found this at an old church along with a 1951 sixpence and 22 cal bullet casings, one live 22 cal round. Never thought about swinging my pick into the ground and hitting a live round until now!

1402053793_imag1255-optimized.jpg
1402053810_imag1257-optimized.jpg

Nice find. Hope to get a shilling next.

How unlucky could you be to hit a live round and have it fire. Another question, who would carry ammo into a church yard?

Cliff

Thats awesome. Well done.

Imagine the last person that touched that shilling and
How long ago.

I love looking around old abandoned country churches. You will always find something of interest.

I have driven past this church many times on the way to search for gold.

Funny thing is for 15mins detecting the coin is worth as much as 3 days digging and highbanking for gold. But its not about the monetary value is it. Its the thrill of the chase, the reveal, the history and then the memories.

Retirement Stone said:
I love looking around old abandoned country churches. You will always find something of interest.

I have driven past this church many times on the way to search for gold.

Funny thing is for 15mins detecting the coin is worth as much as 3 days digging and highbanking for gold. But its not about the monetary value is it. Its the thrill of the chase, the reveal, the history and then the memories.

Spot on there Retirement Stone :)

Cheers. Monty.

Nice coin,good nick too. I like the pre 1900 English silvers. I have only managed a 1873 three pence to date.
it sure is a thrill to find such coins. mbe worth another hunt there RS.

Thanks guys.

It just makes you realise that although metal detectors have been around for years barely any ground has been covered.

When we pull these pre decimals from the ground they will never be replaced (unlike modern coins) and now there are two less at that church for any future detector swingers.

I wait the day to dig up a Gold Coin. You guys will be the first to know!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do sometimes get amused by the metal detector debate.

All I know is my Xterra detects metal! The more you pay the deeper your detector will detect metal.

I have not found Gold yet but plenty of lead so I presume when gold finds its way under the coil at a shallow depth the Xterra wont let me down. Any brand would do the same I am sure.