Old bullets - how to render them safe

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm finding a few live 303 and 22 bullets. I'm guessing they have all been in the ground for 50+ years.

I lightly gripped the 303 in my lathe chuck and used the tailstock drill chuck to pull the slug out of the casing. All slow smooth and gentle. The charge was so old and weathered it barely burned when a match was put to it.

If done carefully is this safe enough?

I read another comment here that a squirt of CRC or WD-40 into the casing will render the primer charge safe - sound reasonable?

Cheers

20220709_201308.jpg

What you doing is possibly more dangerous than just leaving it alone . Especially if rounds contain a primer. If it bothers you having them around then store them up and drop them at local cop shop. Easy and safe.

Thanks, dropping them off at the local police station was the next option. I don't have a gun licence so in theory I cannot own them.

I saw that a lot of people use an impact bullet puller which seemed pretty brutal compared to a gentle continuous pull to get the slug out.

Are old bullets inherently unstable?

Thanks, dropping them off at the local police station was the next option. I don't have a gun licence so in theory I cannot own them.

I saw that a lot of people use an impact bullet puller which seemed pretty brutal compared to a gentle continuous pull to get the slug out.

Are old bullets inherently unstable?
It might not be wise to hit one with a hammer 🥴

I'm finding a few live 303 and 22 bullets. I'm guessing they have all been in the ground for 50+ years.

I lightly gripped the 303 in my lathe chuck and used the tailstock drill chuck to pull the slug out of the casing. All slow smooth and gentle. The charge was so old and weathered it barely burned when a match was put to it.

If done carefully is this safe enough?

I read another comment here that a squirt of CRC or WD-40 into the casing will render the primer charge safe - sound reasonable?

Cheers

View attachment 2716
It would be safer to hand any round found to the police as said and probably best not to carry them around in your junk pouch with metal and nails.
Just my own thoughts and never want to here of any one being hurt.
Cheers

Mod edit: dismantling information removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
A cache or a large supply of ammo by all means take it to the police station or the local army depot if you have one and let them worry about disposing of it.

Mod edit: incorrect disposal method removed

Last edited by a moderator:
Live 303 rounds that i've picked up have misfired.
Do they have a firing pin mark? There are quite a few out there.

Live 303 rounds that i've picked up have misfired.
Do they have a firing pin mark? There are quite a few out there.

No these seem to have been dropped. One was found where a 1940's house had been demolished, I suspect it may have been a souvenir that was lost.

A number of posts have been removed or edited (including my own) from this thread due to safety & legal concerns.

We cannot allow any posts giving instructions on dismantling or otherwise so called methods of making ammunition safe to remain on the forum.
We have no way of knowing the readers experience with firearms/ammunition or the condition/stability of any found ammunition to be able to offer safe procedure for doing this.
It is also illegal in all states to possess any ammunition without a licence.

The general information available in most states recommends:
Any ammunition should be disposed of through the following:
  • A licensed firearm dealer
  • A local police station
It is also recommended that you contact the person/organisation you are going to dispose of the ammunition with beforehand.

Qld:
Contact a licensed firearms dealer or the Explosives Inspectorate on 1300 739 868 (24/7) to arrange a penalty-free ammunition surrender.

Victoria:
A licensed firearm dealer is the preferred option or A local police station.

NSW:
Licensed firearms dealer or by unconditional surrender to police.

SA:
Hand into a participating licensed firearms dealer or a police station for surrender.

Tas:
Surrender the ammunition to the police.

NT:
In the Northern Territory firearms/ammunition can be surrendered at police stations or participating licensed dealers.

ACT:
Contact ACT Fire Arms Registry at Mitchell. Ph: 6133 2122

WA:
Contact or make an appointment with your nearest police station – prior to surrendering ammunition.

WA (& other states) have in place an amnesty providing protection from prosecution where a person is in possession of an unlicensed firearm/ammunition for the purpose of handing it in.

⚠️ Please do not post any further information on dismantling ammunition; incorrect disposal such as put in the bin; or any other methods of rendering it safe (many of which aren't 100% guaranteed to render it harmless anyway).
Follow your relevant State laws, information & advice.