12 Weeks To Find First Gold (Persistence Pays).

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks LC76 but there no shame just not over the gold with the coil ,I try not to go to the whipsticks if I can help it I would rather drive to Avoca or Marybourgh ,Dunooly anywhere but the whipsticks lol, I am a born optimist the next target I dig will be a nice piece of gold,I have changed a lot of things I was doing or not doing and also have my 4500 purring like a kitten well it was at Balarat last weekend will see how it go's next time I am out with the advantage coil ,was very pleased with my set up as I said in an earlier post last weekend I had a target that was just a break in the hum down about 14" it was a bit of steel but I still heard it, it's given me a lot more confidence that I can hear them now. Time will tell lol .

Hi Guys,

Today I went out to a local area to a section that I have previously found gold on one side of the main line of workings and all throughout the workings as well.

This area would be a line of workings roughly 200meters in length and roughly 80 meters in width. I have previously worked one side away from the workings themselves with some good nuggets along the way.

Today I thought to venture to the bottom of the workings on the complete opposite side, while doing this I was line section working the slight incline. I was roughly 80 meters away from any of the workings just on flat ground which has roughly a 5 degree incline, very shallow grounds with wash on clay base. And some clay visible on the surface.

Its great to work these area's to see if we can manage to pick up any loose scattered gold - weather was really good and great to be out there covering the grounds and prospecting for potential little hot spots.

I managed to get a bullet shell, a couple of pieces of lead, then an old Brass Belt Buckle - as I went a few steps to the left of the belt buckle another little target - I was thinking maybe another little piece of the buckle

1. And check this little find - theory was spot on with the ground reading and the line sections I was covering.
1482317201_pic_0466.jpg

1482317201_pic_0468.jpg

1482317201_pic_0469.jpg

As I looked at the grounds and chose the right angle line from this based on the incline and the way the workings run, basically I turned right 45 degrees and worked this line.

2. And there we are another little piece of the good stuff - only small again but appears just maybe there could be a few little ones scattered around this line - this piece was roughly 12 meters away from the first piece.
1482317458_pic_0473.jpg

1482317459_pic_0474.jpg

1482317459_pic_0476.jpg

1482317459_pic_0478.jpg

1482317459_pic_0480.jpg

Again I looked at the grounds and drew the line from this piece and the first one, looking at the contour of the ground and also the material - do I continue upwards or should I focus towards the line of workings on the other side of the first piece, makes sense doesnt it closer to the line of workings, in saying this I would be almost 100meters away from the main line of workings, untouched virgin ground territory - and the decision was made to not walk to the other side but continue my plan and follow the original path.

3. And here we go maybe another 10 or so meters on the exact line I was walking - just making sure to cover every angle and contour of the ground for maximum depth.
1482317767_pic_0487.jpg

1482317767_pic_0488.jpg

1482317767_pic_0489.jpg

The line that I worked was roughly 2 meters wide rather than grid type work - just a simple line technique while assessing the grounds. Thats just the joy of our hobby - 2 meters to the left and maybe these 3 pieces would still be out there, or maybe just maybe the 2 meters to the left could have some bigger pieces.

Its always good to find these spots which are well away from any workings for future thorough detecting where you can work the sections in larger area rather than line work. I like to break it up and prospect this way sometimes, you could almost call it using the detector to costean crossed with loaming.

After detecting another line maybe 30 meters further up - with no luck on any more yellow just a bullet and some old bottle tops

I ventured all the way back to the top of the workings, so Now I have done the bottom and hit those little pieces roughly 80 to 100 meters away from the workings, time to do exactly the same thing at the top.

Took me roughly 1 1/2 hours to hit any targets - today I think I dug 5 or 6 holes for ground noise, only to see some chunky charcoal and red clay when I scratched a few inches out, balanced out.

After the lengthy start to the top with nothing yet - there we are a nice target appeared deep and solid - not the general surface target that screams

4. As I dug the material and went 1 inch then a few inches - the top was pretty much that nice gravel wash material we like to see, quartz, sands, ironstone etc - and not too much further the reds started to show meaning I was almost onto the red clay. Nice solid compacted tough gravels. Sound still in there and giving off a better solid response compared to the first targets - You just know when it is gold and I was 99% sure when I went through the compacted gravels and seen red.
1482318504_pic_0497.jpg

1482318504_pic_0498.jpg

1482318504_pic_0503.jpg

1482318504_pic_0504.jpg

5. All Cleaned up - smallest piece 0.14g - 0.18g - 0.25g - 0.75g for a total of 1.32g
1482318781_pic_0510.jpg

1482318781_pic_0511.jpg

1482318781_pic_0512.jpg

Was great digging all the other junk targets today - especially having planned what I wanted to do at this area, and the results came through as intended.

Looking forward to heading out this weekend to my favorite area - last visit was that nice specimen piece, hoping that I can show you guys something that I want to do there to hopefully hit some more gold. Should be fun. Pics will be posted over the weekend.

Enjoy - for all that are heading away for Xmas and New Year - as Always Be safe and Well, take care and talk soon. Merry Xmas

Another great post MG and another great result hope you have left some for the rest of us lol ,that one piece looks like a shield .

I have been looking for either an 11" Round or 14x9" Elliptical Coiltek Elite Mono (Camo) to upgrade the GP3500

Well good news - I have the choice of either an 11" or 14" Round Coiltek Elite Mono (Camo) and pickup tomorrow. Got a deal for a complete swap over with my old coils that I have.

Coils swapped for the Elite
1 x 14" Coiltek DD Pro - Used
1 x 14" Coiltek Salt Anti Interference Coil - without skid plate - Used
1 x 11" Minelab Commander Mono - Brand New never used.

Can't complain about that one.

G'day MG

Great to see you getting the GPX4500 and by the looks of the amount of gold your getting in the short time
you have had it those old hunting grounds are going to come alive for you great work mate congrates.

Always look forward to read about your finds and detailed info you give to help us on our adventures.

All the best for you on christmas and may the GOLD rise to the surface for us all.

Keep up the great work you do, thanks MG

Regards Oldschool

MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone

Hi Fellow Prospectors,

Well today I went for a drive to swap over the coils for the beasty little 11" Coiltek Elite Mono (Camo) - and was a good drive with the A/C blasting away. Finally got home and was tossing up on heading out or take a nice relaxing day off.

Well I pulled out the USB Microscope to capture some images for you all to have a look at because I know how much you like the yellow stuff.

tried to get the Zoom in and focus up flat type objects are relatively easy but the gold due to height can some what be a challenge on the focus level.

Anyway here you all go - some images of 2 pieces of gold I found

1. First one is that recent specimen - and you can see the amount of clays still in the little cracks/crevices - will need to soak up some more and soft brush it away.
1482474822_dsc_4435.jpg

1482474822_dsc_4436.jpg

Amazing under the closeup what can be revealed
1482474867_specimen_1.jpg

1482474868_specimen_2.jpg

1482474868_specimen_3.jpg

1482474868_specimen_4.jpg

1482474868_specimen_5.jpg

1482474881_specimen_6.jpg

1482474881_specimen_8.jpg

2. Second piece was that little reefy piece found near the hole of gold on the 9th November - with the other 5 pieces moments before I hit the signals for the hole with gold in Calcrete.
1482474919_pic_0610.jpg

Again from the naked eye looking at the piece is very reefy and under close inspection you can see the smooth edges showing that it has endured tumbling and created round smooth edges.
1482475000_specimen_9.jpg

1482475000_specimen_10.jpg

1482475000_specimen_11.jpg

1482475000_specimen_12.jpg

3. Thought to also add this one with a couple of variations of lighting - this is taken from that recent 10.75g
1482475700_specimen_13.jpg

1482475700_specimen_14.jpg

1482475700_specimen_15.jpg

Hope you all enjoy the pics - and good luck over the holiday period.

Merry Xmas and a happy new one to all.

XXOO Hah

Well I am glad you stayed home and maybe take a year or two off this will allow us a chance to sift through what you have left.

:)

Great finds. Always good to read your adventures and finds.

I was expecting you to clean out your areas and then put the coords on ebay. :)

Have a great Christmas

Minelab Gold i would like to say thank you for the wisdom and advice you have shared with us all.
Im sure it has help more than a few people and on top of that has been just damn interesting reading.

With some of your advice floating in the back of my mind i decided to go back to basics with my GPZ and reset everything and make only a few small tweaks.
And also started really looking at contours and what lines the diggings followed ect.

Anyway long story short,I went back to an old favourite spot that i thought was done......and found about 50 odd birdshot all several inches deep and two little sub grammers.

In that spot i was pretty amazed at what i had missed.
So thanks again and have a great Christmas

HoudiniHarry said:

Glad you liked that one HH

All the best over Christmas - I need to send you something in the mail

After reading your post - and seeing that we had a nice change in weather - after posting just before I thought why not go out and test out this little 11" Coiltek Elite - just can't help ourselves sometimes when we get new toys to play with.

Well this coil is great - I cant wait to test on sub grams at depth between 11" and 14" elites - but theory says that the 11" should be more sensitive than the 14" - I will leave this test up to the next coming days. Just wanted to try the 11" out and was surprised.

The area that I found that 10.75g and the 3 other pieces - I thought to venture into this little area which as you all seen is only 4 or so meters square from the images.

In moments hit a nice little repeatable signal only 3 feet away from where the 10.75g came from.

1. The 11" hit this target only just - it was just enough to raise the threshold - I would guesstimate 3.56 inches
1482491217_pic_0517.jpg

1482491217_pic_0518.jpg

1482491217_pic_0519.jpg

1482491217_pic_0520.jpg

Here it is after a quick clean and under the microscope seen as it was already setup
1482491255_nugget_1_-_11_inch_elite.jpg

Not sure if the 14" Just couldnt hear this piece as I covered the area pretty thoroughly - again GP3500 with 14" DD Pro definitely missed it, GPX 4500 with 14" Elit cant quite say maybe I missed this little piece or GPX 14" Elite just couldnt see it - and the 11" being slightly more sensitive could.

Hopefully get some accurate testing over the sensitivity between 11" and 14" Elites in the coming days/week

Enjoy

The elites sound really good. I have the NF 12" evo coil and it appears to be very noisy compared to your elite. I will need to try the elite coil and compare.
The Evo is far better than the original supplied coils but the Elite might offer an advantage. Yes testing will be the go.

Cheers and thanks for your assistance.

HoudiniHarry said:
The elites sound really good. I have the NF 12" evo coil and it appears to be very noisy compared to your elite. I will need to try the elite coil and compare.
The Evo is far better than the original supplied coils but the Elite might offer an advantage. Yes testing will be the go.

Cheers and thanks for your assistance.

So far in the short time I have had the GPX with the Elites - I have found that Normal with Mono Elite is way to noisy in most ground here, due to the high variation in the soil types, every now and then I will switch through to normal, testing as I go with variations on the settings. Pretty amazing machines though I have my pick on my belt level on the left hand side, and the GPX in enhance runs great couldnt see the pick same as GP3500 with DD - the pick at this height wasn't an issue - when in Normal on the GPX with the Elite, quite amazing how it reacts to the pick at this height - finds it very easy where as in Enhance it doesnt.

So far I am varying between RX Gain 7 to 10 at most and Stabilizer one or 2 below the RX Gain - it seems to be keeping it very stable and only every now and then I will get a blip - runs very smooth compared to the little chatters I was use to on the GP3500

I will simply adjust the RX and Stab as the day progresses with heat changes, soil changes, if needed to keep things running smooth

Also when I get targets - which vary in size and depth as we know - I will also test out what the setting changes do, to see what the best signal response is with trying to maintain that smooth threshold - without any wobbles or chattering. Lowering RX to very low to see if the detector can't interpret the signal anymore.

This way when I see the depth and target size I can take notes and write down previous settings and also if I could make the signal more responsive, and what settings I changed to also marking down the date, time, temperature, soil type, target depth, target size, surface area. Along with the usual photo's that I take.

Keeps me going and amazing what results can be ascertained

Regards M.G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts