12 Weeks To Find First Gold (Persistence Pays).

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi MG,

Changing to this ground or recently - did you change tracking on your new machine or stay at medium track?

To date I have only used fp set at slow.

Thanks now...

Hi Guys,

I wasnt going to head out today but it got the better of me - reading Bjay's post earlier and also Bjay's and Dig'n-it comments on better hit your old grounds where you had success with the GP3500 - thought to go to 2 area's where I had pulled a few out in close proximity in the early days of the GP

Well again to say the least - I am so happy I went out today - left at roughly 3:30-3:45pm and have returned with some exceptional finds. Whats that almost 3 1/2 hours in the field.

I will just clean up and take some pictures for you all.

These finds are breathtaking :) cant wait to share them with you all. When I got one of these out of the ground sweat, drink break, dig some more, photo's in between and finally out. The depth would have been an easy 16-18 inches.

Hi All,

Again another few hours out - and today was more breathtaking than yesterday, well in another way I should say. Yesterday was great getting that specimen piece and looking forward to soaking it up some more and soft brush to remove the extra clay still trapped - I may even just soak rinse to ensure that I dont scratch any potential gold crystal structures.

I still havent looked under the microscope yet - but will be sure to post up my images for you all to see under the Microscope.

So as you all may have read I went out today for 3 1/2 or so hours - left at roughly 3:30pm to a recent area which I have found small patches. Just to see how the GPX4500 with the elite would go for any missed gold. I can't talk this thing up enough and will leave it at that - you all know how deep these things punch and how sensitive they are.

When I walked directly to this spot and fired up the machine instantly a target - you may look back through earlier posts and you will see and image of the exact spot where I found gold with the GP3500 - this spot is the exact same which I thoroughly searched with the DD on the 35

1. If you look in the first image you can see this spot in very earlier posts on October 11th - and there we are a little solid target within seconds of firing up the machine. This was the only target in this area nothing more after a thorough search. Onto the next little area - I wasnt concerned about all the ground in between at this point just more so the main area's of previous gold finds.
1482140363_pic_0384.jpg

1482140363_pic_0385.jpg

1482140363_pic_0386.jpg

1482140363_pic_0387.jpg

1482140364_pic_0388.jpg

2. The next spot had no more targets after going over it for roughly 20 minutes - so onto the next area, again not focusing on in between grounds just yet. When I arrived to this next spot - again another target at the edge - and it was a little piece of rust about 2 inches down - much like a small hot rock sound - but definitely a target.

3. And when I started into this area which is full of Conglomerate - its like a sheet that varies from inches to feet in thickness and on Red Clays. I hit a target right next to a fallen down burnt tree, it was solid and loud enough after removing the charcoal from the surface. Nice little piece
1482140764_pic_0393.jpg

1482140764_pic_0394.jpg

1482140764_pic_0395.jpg

1482140764_pic_0396.jpg

1482140764_pic_0397.jpg

4. The previous section had no more solid targets and not even the usual hot rock signal - very quiet so as I continued only meters away there is another section which I have done before - you know area's that you have prospected but they dont stand out as much as others - this is an area which I had walked through on a few occasions but not a consistent sweep - hit this target on the side as I was walking in, swinging the coil all the way around this tree - here you can see depth and soil types, digging out chunks of previously broken conglomerate
1482140810_pic_0398.jpg

1482140811_pic_0399.jpg

1482140811_pic_0400.jpg

1482140811_pic_0401.jpg

1482140811_pic_0402.jpg

1482140920_pic_0403.jpg

1482140920_pic_0404.jpg

And the target was in this - very solid signal from the surface and when appeared to be a good solid signal from 6 to 8 inches - needed to bring this one home, was going to break in the field but camera was getting low and also wanted to wash it to see the makeup of the conglomerate
1482140920_pic_0405.jpg

1482140920_pic_0406.jpg

5. Another target only feet away from the previous one, looking like this could be a winner on this undulated worked area, just from looking at this area it is easy to read the grounds, and see that it was semi worked back in the old days.
1482141198_pic_0407.jpg

1482141198_pic_0408.jpg

1482141199_pic_0409.jpg

1482141199_pic_0410.jpg

1482141199_pic_0411.jpg

And another little piece of the good stuff.
1482141318_pic_0412.jpg

After this I scanned the grounds pretty good in this spot, working my way through with high concentration - and boom almost blew my eardrums with these next 2 targets - 2 pieces of wire on top of the ground, very rusty and old. But there were 3 targets here - 2 pieces of rust and to the right of these only 1 feet away after I removed the wire. Another solid target - this thing was like a 303 lead sitting maybe 4 inches down. It almost appeared like closer to the surface - had someone hit these rust targets and dismissed this next target - who knows - but either way I was getting it out.

6. Here in these images you can see 2 red arrows - they were the 2 previous targets - then 2 yellow arrows indicate the 2 pieces of Rust Wire - and you can see my hole that I started to dig, at this point I knew that it may be worth taking a picture at this particular stage. The target just appeared to be closer to the surface
1482141598_pic_0414.jpg

1482141598_pic_0415.jpg

And here you can see I hit a very hard base material after removing the softs from the top. You can also see a depth - this thing was absolutely screaming and was hard to pinpoint - didnt have the pin pointer today but nevertheless I was going to open this hole up some and pay considerable attention to the exact location - I knew at this point after hitting this hard stuff it was ground not previously touched by the old timers.
1482141598_pic_0416.jpg

1482141598_pic_0417.jpg

After digging more I went through a layer of Conglomerate which was only 100mm thick and then a red clay layer underneath it, after a few drinks breaks and pictures, a bit of sweat - I had this target out within 15 or so minutes - nothing extreme just savoring this moment for what was about to happen.
1482141848_pic_0419.jpg

1482141848_pic_0420.jpg

And there we have it in the hand - this thing well it was out to see the light of day and I was absolutely gobsmacked when this thing came out - I didnt have to pick the extra dirt up but after the excitement I just picked it up and grabbed the camera. How awesome is that for a find
1482142024_pic_0421.jpg

1482142025_pic_0422.jpg

1482142025_pic_0423.jpg

1482142025_pic_0424.jpg

7. And again another target only meters away from the previous find, also have a look here, I have marked the area of a previous operator with arrows, which I outlined just before in the previous images. And another clear solid signal - images show hole, depth, target, ground type and target removed. Today was showing that the GPX with Elite is in a world of its own compared to my GP35 with DD Pro
1482142086_pic_0425.jpg

1482142086_pic_0426.jpg

1482142086_pic_0427.jpg

1482142086_pic_0428.jpg

1482142108_pic_0429.jpg

1482142108_pic_0430.jpg

1482142108_pic_0431.jpg

1482142109_pic_0432.jpg

1482142109_pic_0433.jpg

1482142127_pic_0434.jpg

1482142127_pic_0435.jpg

1482142127_pic_0436.jpg

8. And that was me for the day - time to head home for a clean up and some dinner. Was looking forward to checking what was in that large conglomerate piece as well.

Gold Cleaned Up - here you can also see that large conglomerate piece after a wash and before it was smashed to reveal the hidden target.

1482142716_dsc_4501.jpg

1482142716_dsc_4509.jpg

1482142716_dsc_4561.jpg

All in all an excellent few hours out and the large piece weighed 10.75g @ final measurement marked on the pick handle - 16 inches.

Hope you like the images

I will thank Bjay and Dig'n-it for this one :)

Shit mate IDE wet me pants if I found one like that.Well done . Maybee its time for a gpz?whole new ball game though apparently.

I have been thinking the same as Bjay for a week or so now. MG - you are obviously great at reading ground and you obviously have some good ground close to where you live.

There is obviously a great leap between the 3500 to 4500. Many (but not all) seem to feel there is similar leap from the 4500/5000 to the GPZ.

Is marking out a 50 X 50 metre area, thoroughly detecting with the 4500 and then beg, borrowing or stealing a GPZ to cover the same area a valid suggestion? If such a gain can be seen I can't see why you wouldn't get a Z. The way you find gold will quickly cover the cost. And it would stop this retracing your steps with different coils business.

When I bought my Z I couldn't really afford it and the salesman tried to sell me the idea of a 5000 with this coil, that coil, this coil, that coil, go over the same ground 4 different times. It seemed like a big waste of time to me.

And the Z has been amazing on the little stuff - no issues with that - can't measure much of it, it is that small. And have dug holes over a metre for junk. Putting the coil over larger gold is simply up to me now.

Just my opinion.

And by the way, AWESOME gold finds. I have been really focusing on the type of ground in the bottom of the holes I am digging and much if that information is coming from you - so thanks ;)

Mickkat12 said:
Tbh I think mg would prob find goldwith a Aldi special lol

Hi Mickkat12,

Not sure about the Aldi one - but was struggling on the GP35 in this same area after having excellent finds over the many years in this spot.

Who knows if it is due to weathering and burnoffs over the years - maybe a tussock weed was right on this same spot. But I can honestly say that it is due to the added depth and sensitivity of the new 4500 and elite litz technology.

Lately I have had great success - almost everyday for the last 2 or 3 months. With some odd days in between.

I also remember the days of how I got to this exact location, takes many kilometers in covering the grounds to eventually narrow your window down.

Some days weeks and months without nothing at all - but the joy of covering and looking at the junk on your way is also rewarding.

It will eventually get to that point again of having dry patches - just gotta take these opportunities why we have them.

:)

Hi Northeast,

To answer your questions

1. you are obviously great at reading ground and you obviously have some good ground close to where you live.
This has only come from the 15 or so years of experience - many kilometers covered and it becomes a sixth sense on what to look and listen for. We all have our dry patches though - we find gold in our backyards in the GT - all major gold towns are built over the major workings :) - yeah some people should focus on their own backyard rather than travel too much - but I also like the adventure and travel for the complete experience. Just to break it up a bit. For those out of Gold Area's then the only way is travel, or relocate to support your passion and hobby

2. Is marking out a 50 X 50 metre area, thoroughly detecting with the 4500 and then beg, borrowing or stealing a GPZ to cover the same area a valid suggestion? If such a gain can be seen I can't see why you wouldn't get a Z. The way you find gold will quickly cover the cost. And it would stop this retracing your steps with different coils business.
This is a very valid suggestion - I would wait for the GPZ7500 or 8000 - thats just my opinion though, after seeing the results from the combination of 4500 and elite - to cover all the grounds with the 4500 elite - then 5000 and then GPZ - you are absolutely right - why bother just get the Z and smash the grounds hard and consistent. Maybe this is a way that Minelab can also help sustain the Gold Fields - they surely can develop a machine that could probably get another 30% deeper than the GPZ - I dont mind the depth I dig now and certainly wouldnt mind and extra 1 foot for the ounce nuggets.

And yeah it does seem like a waste of time - this coil that coil etc etc - smaller coils more sensitive - larger coils less sensitive but punch a bit more. Thats why I went mid range still sensitive and gets good depth. In saying this that guy in Ballarat hit that 5.5kg 600mm deep with Sadie 8x6

All depends what the user wants to use, some people like smaller coils, some can handle the 18" - some area's just wont allow 18"s because its that dense even a 11" is hard to maneuver.

Ground reading has helped a lot - but I have found gold in places that you wouldnt think it could be, reefy at the lowest, waterworn at the highest. And my assumption was the Waterworn at the highest was originally the lowest with high turbulent waters trapped the gold and the mountains rising up. Sea's subsiding and spreading the gold as well. So many theories

If I see a cheap enough Z or the next release details I will be sure to check these out.

Only holding off because of a good mate who has one and have run some tests - it smashed the GPX and GP on targets that were sideways like a 20cent coin flat the GP GPX and GPZ not much different - the coin sideways the GP and GPX couldnt even hear it but the GPZ smashed this target at depth. For solids they were very close GPX hit the target and GPZ only appeared 1 inch better - but GP lacked on this test.

Regards M.G

Morning MG,

I get where you are coming from. Each to their own and everyone has their own ambitions and motivators.

A family member asked me why I detect. I told them it was like fishing. Preparation, gaining knowledge, getting the most out of your gear, the hunt, being happy when you catch something, just as happy when you don't and always searching for that trophy.

And the different coils is just like different fishing styles. I pretty much only use lure and fly because of the challenge. Bait fishing (for me) is boring and too easy.

But I need the bait rod/GPZ for this detecting hobby - I don't need it to be more of a challenge than it already is :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good gold fishing to you ;)

Well done MG you smashed it again and in 3.1/2 hours cant remember when I got my last bit of yellow ,you say that you will go through a dry spell (think I am in the gobby desert lol) but with this set up you have and the knowledge you have I don't think so ,I think you have the ability to find gold where ever you are might have to get you over our way one day and see what you make of the Whipsticks or was it you that cleaned it out lol anyway you have done so well with that coil think I will have to see about investing in one after I get the friggin car running again just finishing redoing the head should be on the road this week all being well ,and then after Xmas out I will go again for some more fuggets lol.well done mate keep it up and I think if you keep going I should have enough for that book in a couple of months lol, will catch you soon. Hope all have a happy and safe Xmas and Santa brings you all what you want .Pete

well t after talking to you at our field day i know how keen you were to get a decent speciment and wow its a ripper congratulations on ticking one more off the bucket list, well done you are having a ball with the 4500 great machine are,nt they and the elite and evo have breathed new life into the gpx. loving the posts and the big bit is a pisser. i would like to wish you and D. and all of our other friends on the forum a "SAFE" and joyfull xmas and may santa bring you all some yellow or somthing to find it with. CHEERS J.

Pirate pete said:
Well done MG you smashed it again and in 3.1/2 hours cant remember when I got my last bit of yellow ,you say that you will go through a dry spell (think I am in the gobby desert lol) but with this set up you have and the knowledge you have I don't think so ,I think you have the ability to find gold where ever you are might have to get you over our way one day and see what you make of the Whipsticks or was it you that cleaned it out lol

Yeah awesome work MG its been inspiring reading.

And Pete i know the feeling in the Whipstick,its been quite a while since i found anything with the GPZ.
Everytime my fiance picks me up from the bush she looks at me with expectant eyes hoping ill show her a hand full of nuggets only for me to sadly shake my head and hang it low in shame.

But we keep persisting because its not all gone yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts