10 for 10 Gallipoli Silver Coin

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Martin not sure of your history and involvement in coins/numismatics I have been a collector for many years and items like these do not increase in value or become rarities "usually" so if you buy one buy it because you like it and its worth something to you as a collector, but investment wise these and the majority of Perth Mint and other mints fancy shiny rounds are over priced for investments and you struggle to get even your initial purchase price back.

Macquarie mint are one of the ones I mention above, this coin as example is 5gms of silver at about $3.50 so it is certainly not overly priced compared to other who have $25 of silver a pretty box and certificate of authenticity and they then charge you over $100 + I will stick to bullion and old Australian coins.

So in summary if you like something buy it, by all means. Just don't think a low mintage run of 150,000 (which is large) is going to = High return :(

Most of the Perth Mint coins do runs of 5,000 and 10,000 and the majority of these never go anywhere. There's just too many of them. Think of them as the plates that mum used to buy out of catalogues.

Just be aware this is not Australian Currency and you will not get $10 anywhere for it. The country is Kiribati which has nothing to do with Australia, a lot of the other release will use Tuvallu as an example.

Hope I have not offended, it was not my intention.

Hi Westaus, Thanks for the heads-up mate. I have often wondered about those nice shiny, silver coins in the lovely boxes and wondered whether they'd be worth a punt. For me there was no other motivation. So thanks, you've saved me a quid or two. I, like you, really only want to find a sov or a penny or even an Adelaide Five pound coin. [I know, not much hope.] That would make my day and thankfully, while I don't live in an area that boasts gold nuggets the size of fists, I could expect to find the odd ancient coin, left over from the Cornish miners. All the best, TD.

Now is that 925 silver or 0nly 50% silver,... I can't seem to find the details t the moment,... it would ne nice to see it as 925 silver.

Hi Westaus, you hit the nail square on the head. Collect for the joy of collecting not for the possible future worth, most of the very collectable coins are already in the collections of the few with the funds to buy them. The Park House collection is up for auction in May now that is a collection. Over 200 sovereigns including the 1920 s from the Quartermaster collection and a 1953 English sovereign only one available to collectors.
cheers DB

silver said:
Now is that 925 silver or 0nly 50% silver,... I can't seem to find the details t the moment,... it would ne nice to see it as 925 silver.

It's only 50% -
COIN SPECIFICATIONS:
Year of Issue: 2015
Denomination: $10
Diameter: 26mm
Metal: Silver 500/1000

Thanks GS, I missed the 500/1000 when I was looking at the link,.... seen it the second time though.
Never knew it was shown that way(in all my years), I still would have missed it I think even if it had shown 925/1000.

i bought one also just the other day. i knew it wasn't going to increase in value i bought it because i liked the coin and wanted one to commemorate the 100 years since the war. but i do agree with you westaus

Latest posts