1.4 ct diamond found while crevicing (not by me, unfortunately)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On Monday, someone from the Dubbo Prospecting, fossicking and camping facebook group put up these pics of a diamond found while crevicing for gold around LOng Point on the Macquarie River. What a find!

"This was found on the weekend by a persistent fossicker mate who was doing a bit of crevicing at long point on the Macquarie river. Is a very clear, clean diamond weighing 1.4 ct. Finding this in your pan would put a smile on anyone's face Congratulations John."

1427285061_diamond_2.jpg

1427285061_diamond.jpg

Is it just me or do the faces and angles on that stone look oddly too waterworn? I would have expected no wear on a diamond, as no other stone can scratch it.

Apparently, it is common for alluvial diamonds in NSW to be somewhat waterworn:

"According to the statements of diamond-cutters, Australian diamonds are harder than the majority of stones from other parts of the world, and can only be cut with their own powder; they have a peculiarly strong surface lustre, and in spite of their extra hardness are usually much water-worn."

According to the link, most of the diamonds in NSW are redeposited from ancient alluvium, so they have been tumbling about for perhaps millions of years.

http://www.minelinks.com/alluvial/diamondGeology43.html

It will cut 2 x .35ct brillants and looks to have flouresence. Its not water worn it formed like that. happy to cut it if its not a hard diamond like from Copeton.
Its worth abaout $ 1500 as is.

rough2cut said:
It will cut 2 x .35ct brillants and looks to have flouresence. Its not water worn it formed like that. happy to cut it if its not a hard diamond like from Copeton.

Whaddya reckon it would look like if just polished and set? Do natural diamonds look good in that manner?

Ben78 said:
rough2cut said:

Whaddya reckon it would look like if just polished and set? Do natural diamonds look good in that manner?

Do an image search for "set rough Diamonds" Ben, seems there is plenty of jewellery in that type of fashion, not sure about skin polished stuff but I'd say there would be some.

I've got a couple of Sapphs I only want skin polished and if it works they will be set in pendants probably.

Ben78 said:
rough2cut said:

It might need to be faceted before it would show the brilliance that they are famous for?

Heatho said:
Do an image search for "set rough Diamonds" Ben, seems there is plenty of jewellery in that type of fashion, not sure about skin polished stuff but I'd say there would be some.

Oh yeah Google, the most used and forgotten about website there is....

Maybe Lefty could cab it for you? Now, how would you skin polish the hardest diamond in the world?
Answer = find two more to make powder. That's right you need diamond the same hardness and NSW diamonds are the hardest in the world.
So your stuffed if you only find one. Yep time to hit that creek hard.

My experience has been that cabbing and clear, colourless stones don't work well together unless you're happy with something that looks like a half a plain glass marble. Transparent stones can look good cabbed as long as they have plenty of colour or some kind of visual effect. I cabbed a piece of smokey quartz that looks ok like that but now I'm working on my first faceting attempt - a bit from the same piece of smokey - and it's only half done but it already looks better than the cabbed one.

On that, rough2cut - what do you think is the best thing for polishing quartz (for faceting)? I'm buying a machine soon and have a bit of smokey and amethyst I wanted to start on. I'm polishing the bit of smokey at the club with a blue disc of very thin plastic that is apparently charged with ultrafine cerium. It's doing a good job but I'm told you can't buy them anymore. I'm also told that sometimes quartz doesn't like being polished with diamond.

One of the machines I'm considering buying as a serious hobbyist is the VJ by Sapphire Engineering. Everyone I've asked about them seems to think they're the ducks nuts. Also, the little factory that makes them is only a couple of hours drive from where I live as opposed to being at the other end of the country or on the other side of the world. Is there any particular one/s you'd reccomend?

rough2cut said:
Maybe Lefty could cab it for you? Now, how would you skin polish the hardest diamond in the world?
Answer = find two more to make powder. That's right you need diamond the same hardness and NSW diamonds are the hardest in the world.
So your stuffed if you only find one. Yep time to hit that creek hard.

That would be painful sacrificing 2 Diamonds to cut 1. I have heard the same thing from a few people.

Hi Lefty,
If anyone would try to cab a diamond it would be you. I agree that the VJ would be the best made faceting machine in Australia. Mal is looking at being the queensland agent for my laps. Im a Gemmasta machine cutter and changing would be hard for me.Its still best for production cutting.The performer seals the deal for me. Spoke the Barney yesterday and he polished quartz well on my special alloy lap. Theres going to be a writeup in facet talk which is the guilds monthy publication about this new lap. I demoed one at the local lapidary club last night and got a system sale.
Cant wait to see leftys first faceted stone and the pendant following that.

Regards Tony

http://facetinglaps.blogspot.com.au/

The following article is in the current issue # 202 March~April of Facet Talk does it relate to your laps Tony?

"Test on New Polishing Lap Gempro Easy-Pol Bruce Copper, Northern Rivers Facet Group"

"In the middle of last year, I was asked to trial a new special alloy polishing lap (made in Australia) to give the amateur cutter's perspective. It had already been tested by a professional cutter who was very happy with the results. To protect the maker's intellectual property rights I cannot reveal the composition but I have not heard of it being used for laps before and (as a chemist) can say that it is safe to use. The instructions that came with it stressed that it should NEVER be dressed with abrasive such as wet & dry paper, or Solvol soap. It was also suggested that it would work best at higher lap speeds and would be well suited to the Frank Dickson mix that I normally use for polishing (5ml Teflon grease, 5ml Teflon oil, 5ct diamond 50k mesh). The testing actually started earlier than I anticipated. I picked it up on the way to the lapidary club and one of my pupils was having trouble polishing the table of a very large amethyst (irreverently christened the door knob, by the others). The problem was the common one for less experienced cutters on big stones. The table was not totally flat and as the cutter tried to expand the polished area scratches would appear. The new lap was put to use after working in a small quantity of the polish mix, then spinning the lap fast, while rubbing off all excess with a pad of paper toweling. Immediately all scratches were removed from the polished area. The right thing to do then would have been to go back to the 3000 mesh lap to give a fully flat table, then re-polish but for test purposes I polished the table down with high lap speed and fairly high hand pressure. The really impressive thing was that at no time did any scratches appear on that big table. Proper testing at home on my Drabsch machine then commenced: Stone 1 was labradorite about 3 carat. Polishing was very fast and facet edges were noted to be very sharp. Polishing was done straight from a well worn 1500 lap. Stone 2 was topaz about 3 carat. Polishing was again very fast following the 1500 lap and facet edges were sharp. Stone 3 was tourmaline 3.7 carat. Polishing was very fast following the 1500 lap and facet edges were sharp. I noted that if pressure was used, it was important to finish with no pressure before lifting off the lap. If not, ripples would appear in the polished surface even though side to side movement was being maintained. Stone 4 was labradorite 3.1 carat. Again polishing was fast and facet edges sharp. Again I noted the need to revert to low pressure before lifting off the lap to avoid the ripple effect.
Of particular note in the above tests is that at no time did any scratch ever appear during polishing, regardless of the nature of the material. The next stone was a 29.8 carat topaz. By now I was doing all polishing at the maximum speed of my Drabsch. Lower speeds did work well, but the high speed gave the same results faster. The big table on this stone was polished in two minutes following 3000 mesh pre-polish. I actually took a few more minutes, but that was to remove a flaw in the stone! I then did two small sapphires 6x4 mm and 0.85 carat to see how it went with the harder stone. Again there were no problems at all. While demonstrating at the Lismore Agricultural Show (on a Gemmasta GF2) I did topaz 7 ct, topaz 2.5ct, amethyst 10 ct, jelly opal 8 ct and two labradorite of 4 ct each. The lighting here was very unfavourable, so most polishing was done by guessing how long was required on each facet, then checking at home and being pleasantly surprised to find only very minor blemishes not removed. Two garnets were then cut - one red almandine and one noticeably sugary rhodolite. Neither stone was completed due to cracks in the material, but for the purpose of the test, tables were cut and polished. Both stones had small pieces coming out on the 3000 mesh lap. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the polish lap removed the small pits and did not create any more, but quickly gave a very good polish. The overall impression from the tests was that the lap polishes very quickly, does not produce any scratches on a wide variety of materials, gives very sharp facet edges and is easy to maintain. When worked hard, the surface high spots were no bigger than match head size. Remembering that you should not use an abrasive dressing, the lap was treated by giving a very light rolling with a knurling tool where the hot spots showed perfect outcome. (If you do not have a knurling tool, you can make one from the thumb-wheel on a disposable lighter.) The lap maker says that it can also be used for the 3000 pre-polish with results closer to polish. I am about to test this on another lap. When I started the tests, the lap did not have a name, but I understand that it is now sold as GemPro Easy-Pol by Gemcuts at Ballina. I have just bought one for the club as well as two for club members, who have been impressed."

The Australian Facetors Guild is well worth joining for anyone interested in faceting have a look at their website for further info.

http://www.facetorsguild.com.au/index.html

G'Day All

Better have it checked over a little as it looks a bit strange to me. Super hard diamonds are not that rare now and cutting has become much easier. The Argyle and Ellendale diamonds are also very hard as well. It has got to do with stressing on the crystals.

Remember that if it is a diamond then it cannot be taken out of the country to cut and polish as it is as illegal as transporting drugs or guns. If Customs catches you and its big trouble. Even if it is taken to a cutter in India undetected for example, where the best cutters are, then they are likely to report you. If it is found by any customs in the world they are likely to fine you and they will take the diamond and destroy it.

I used to work in the diamond industry and currently work in the area that regulates diamond trading. A cut diamond is able to be transported but still must be declared. If you want any details then PM me.

Araluen

With you on that one Araluen, ;) I'd have it checked properly and confirmed. Had a bit to do with roughs and never seen one like that before.....hope I'm wrong. :/

rough2cut said:
Hi Lefty,
If anyone would try to cab a diamond it would be you. I agree that the VJ would be the best made faceting machine in Australia. Mal is looking at being the queensland agent for my laps. Im a Gemmasta machine cutter and changing would be hard for me.Its still best for production cutting.The performer seals the deal for me. Spoke the Barney yesterday and he polished quartz well on my special alloy lap. Theres going to be a writeup in facet talk which is the guilds monthy publication about this new lap. I demoed one at the local lapidary club last night and got a system sale.
Cant wait to see leftys first faceted stone and the pendant following that.

Regards Tony

http://facetinglaps.blogspot.com.au/

Cheers Tony.

I'm probably going to end up cutting a fair bit of sapphire - quite probably more than anything else - I see you have a lap system you've designed specifically for sapphire. How much would the full sapphire cutting system from beginning to final polish cost?

Jason

Latest posts