⭐ Show Us Your Cut Stones - Before And After Photos

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of more recent cuts stones.
A Powelltown Citrine 21c 12.5mm
1408185638_pc3-optimized.jpg

A Mt Surprise Topaz 10.5c
1408185777_mt_surprise_topaz_ascher_cut_2-optimized.jpg

The Citrine is a Portugese type cut, the topaz an Asscher type cut.

fossickeract said:
Slightly modified gem master GF4 :)
I have trouble taking pics of my cut stones so untill I do better, won't post much . I see your using some program ( listed in corner of photo) how does that work out? Do you use your phone/ camera first , then run through ?
Barney

Hi Barney,
I have a camera skilled friend who now takes my gem photos even removes the lint from the image! The program listed in the corner is simply the one downloaded from Nuggets info on how to post photos in his info for new members and it resizes the pixel count. So in the last two photos they were taken with a Cannon camera on macro then image processed with Nuggets program.
Regards Ted

1408199977_image.jpg
see ? Mine photo dont look so crash hot... Need to improve somehow..
This is a citrine I rucut from a very crappy job someone else did . If I knew how much better it looked would of taken a before shot . It lost two carat on recut.

Hi Barney, The gem needs a white background, a wash with metho to remove finger prints, and a dust(lint) free environment which may be difficult. I think some of the liners for the square gem boxes are a problem and tissues used to clean the gems.Often find camera has focused on the background not the gem. I think photographing gems can be more difficult than cutting them so I've mostly farmed it out to a friend who will spend hours over photos and can remove lint/dust using photoshop.
Regards Ted

Yep Reeks that can work,topaz I posted was in morning light and there are some clouds reflected but still need a uniform background to help getting focus, some gems garnets especially go black in sunlight mostly and dark sapphires can use all the light they can get.

fossickeract said:
Hi Barney, The gem needs a white background, a wash with metho to remove finger prints, and a dust(lint) free environment which may be difficult. I think some of the liners for the square gem boxes are a problem and tissues used to clean the gems.Often find camera has focused on the background not the gem. I think photographing gems can be more difficult than cutting them so I've mostly farmed it out to a friend who will spend hours over photos and can remove lint/dust using photoshop.
Regards Ted
Thanks ... But I don't want to photoshop my photos( can see it now) . Also if need help meeting facets .. Look up Beale/ Woolley depth cut indicator . Will help you get more accurate meets , less eye strain .

Thankyou all those with kind comments ;)
An example of my interest.
At Grabben Gullen fossickers often find pieces of pale bluish brown crystal looking a bit like smokey quartz but it shows a good cleavage, shade softer than quartz and SG suggested feldspar, and as I hadn't heard of any one cutting it I decided to investigate further. RI identified it as Andesine feldspar.
First a colour deepning cut.
1408423711_feldspar_rectangle1_2-optimized.jpg

Oops a bit dark " Jaffer Shade" or Chocolate orange.
SRB to lighten it.
1408423827_feldspar_round4_4-optimized.jpg

Sunstone it isn't but worth picking up I think.
As to meet points, indicators are just that( got one), indicate when your close you still need to use a 10x to get it perfect but that's for competition cutting, been there done that.

Something different. What do you do with a Tassie Star. This was a 20c rough natural slice of Glen Innes sapphire perpendicular to the crystal axis showing a trapiche rutile pattern. So I semi faceted it and my fossicking mate Muddy made a pendant. She also takes the photos.:)
1408424706_sapphire_pendant1_2-optimized.jpg

I know it is just cabbing and polishing, but I wanted to show you some of the petrified wood of Kangaroo Valley (thanks Collin).
1408766712_image1.jpg

1408766727_image2.jpg

1408766741_image3.jpeg

1408766756_image4.jpeg

The trouble it is polished now and reflects everything, making it very difficult to photograph.

I cut a slab of the very dark stone, almost like jet, but with the details of wood inside. Polishing is not finished, it takes a while.
1408766831_image.jpg

A few more Grabben Gullen Stones rough and cut.
A Grabben Gullen Zircon 2.2c rough
1408844910_gg2.5z-optimized.jpg

Zircon variation of SRB 1.1c.
1408844969_gg_zircon2_2-optimized.jpg

A Grabben Gullen green/yellow 5c. There is a cutter in there just.
1408845065_gg_green_sapphire_nov_2012_2-optimized.jpg

.8c light green result had lot of cracks to dodge.
1408845174_gglgb_2-optimized.jpg

A Grabben Gullen dark green 6c but again cracks to dodge, rutile inclusions and a bit dark.
1408845288_preview_gg-optimized.jpg

Ended up very dark but with a nice green flash .9c
1408845371_ggdgb_2-optimized.jpg

First attempt at a free form, using Fitzroy river agate. The original stone....

15036857871_056ed9a478_c.jpg

It didn't seem as tricky as I had feared, though there are a few things I would do differently next time. I had to do a small amount of hand sanding to remove the tiny facets that kept appearing owing to the profile being angular rather than smoothly curved.

14892823088_4330f70a59_c.jpg

14892775480_8a84145429_c.jpg

Just got my photo and bill from Lamberts and should hopefully have my first parcel of gems back in a week or 2. Found most of these at Inverell, they are some of the smaller ones from my trips over the last year up there.

There are 72 Sapphire including the cabs and cabbed stars, I think I sent about 150 small Sapphires and I think they cut every Zircon I sent, around 40 something.

There are a few Zircons around 1ct or more each and some cabs must be over 2ct.

A bunch of rejects but that's the way it goes.

Will post better pics when they are back.

1409900835_heathos_stones.jpg

Latest posts