12 Weeks To Find First Gold (Persistence Pays).

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well,

That was a great day - I posted up on the Today I Bought Forum, I recently have been looking to upgrade to the Coiltek 14" Mono Elite coil for my GP3500 - instead of doing this I have been watching the GPX4500's over the few weeks on Gumtree - well last night I seen 2 listings that were very enticing indeed. One unit very cheap 2 weeks old with just the necessities, the other unit again an extremely great price but included all the extra's, along with the perfect Coil - Coiltek Elite Mono 14"

Well the decision was made and I contacted the seller, hit the road at 3:00pm to go and collect the machine. As we all do when we get a new toy to play with when I returned home at 5:05pm - I had the usual hit of Moconna Coffee and checked all the gear to head out for a play - just to listen to how the machines respond in hot ground, mild and low soil types.

When I turned the machine on the previous owner had advised he had no luck finding Gold in the 3 or so weeks he owned it, also got the original receipt supplied with warranty - bonus on that one. Originally purchased from Coiltek Maryborough.

Anyway - the settings appeared to be very low and indeed extremely quiet - he said these were the settings he was advised to run in. I pretty much changed the settings in the field as the numbers seemed low - I pumped up Gain and Stabilizer, from memory he had them at 5 to 6 with tracking slow - changed this to medium. Audio Normal, Audio Tone 57. Seemed to be running fine after a slight manual tune for the little EMI - from memory the settings were adjusted to 8 or 9 and 10 and 11 for Gain/Stab.

I went back to a local area - which I found a piece only a week or so ago, only 10 meters away from this same spot, there was some hot rocks on top of the ground so I wanted to see how they respond to all types of ground. Also some thick red clays in this same area.

First target - hah ground noise hot rocks - these things are quite responsive

Second Target 2 meter to the left - Hah again ground noise, mind starts thinking a bit now - so use to the little chatters from the analogue - this thing is like nothing nothing nothing then boom. Even though it is ground noise still amazed by the difference.

So here I am first target ground noise hot rocks, second target ground noise hot rocks, another meter to the left third target and the response was very similar to the previous ground noise, but appeared more solid, so I scratched the top and the signal was indeed getting more solid.

I am amazed how this machine responds and the sensitivity and depth of these Coiltek Elite Mono's - my 3500 has done excellent over the years but there is no way my 3500 with the DD Coil would have hit this third target. I was there a week or so ago and I know the exact spot I searched the ground with the DD Pro on GP3500 - it was along this fallen tree and in clear open ground.

Unfortunately my camera had gone flat in my bag, when I pulled this third target out and got the camera - flat as - Grrrr annoyed not to be able to have captured the first target removed with the GPX4500 - best thing I could do was leave the dirt on the target and bring it home to get a picture.

1. How awesome is that - within minutes of arriving with no expectations just to get a feel and listen to the machine - unearthed this little bad boy. I am going to test this same piece back out there with the GP3500 and DD Pro - just to be sure. Even though the ground has now been disturbed I should still be able to get a close response.
1481882947_pic_0214.jpg

1481882947_pic_0215.jpg

1481882947_pic_0216.jpg

1481882947_pic_0217.jpg

1481882947_pic_0218.jpg

1481882960_pic_0219.jpg

1481882960_pic_0220.jpg

Managed to get this piece to also stand on its side for some images - can see where the inclusions of ironstone would have been back in its earlier days. Might even put this one under the microscope - see the stepped inclusion interesting to see this under the big eye.

Also over the next coming days - I will be putting up some details for GP3500 vs GPX4500 with Coiltek 14" DD Pro - Coiltek 14" Elite Mono - Coiltek 14" Anti Interference

Happy Hunting this weekend to all.

Minelab Gold said:
Well,

That was a great day - I posted up on the Today I Bought Forum, I recently have been looking to upgrade to the Coiltek 14" Mono Elite coil for my GP3500 - instead of doing this I have been watching the GPX4500's over the few weeks on Gumtree - well last night I seen 2 listings that were very enticing indeed. One unit very cheap 2 weeks old with just the necessities, the other unit again an extremely great price but included all the extra's, along with the perfect Coil - Coiltek Elite Mono 14"

Well the decision was made and I contacted the seller, hit the road at 3:00pm to go and collect the machine. As we all do when we get a new toy to play with when I returned home at 5:05pm - I had the usual hit of Moconna Coffee and checked all the gear to head out for a play - just to listen to how the machines respond in hot ground, mild and low soil types.

When I turned the machine on the previous owner had advised he had no luck finding Gold in the 3 or so weeks he owned it, also got the original receipt supplied with warranty - bonus on that one. Originally purchased from Coiltek Maryborough.

Anyway - the settings appeared to be very low and indeed extremely quiet - he said these were the settings he was advised to run in. I pretty much changed the settings in the field as the numbers seemed low - I pumped up Gain and Stabilizer, from memory he had them at 5 to 6 with tracking slow - changed this to medium. Audio Normal, Audio Tone 57. Seemed to be running fine after a slight manual tune for the little EMI - from memory the settings were adjusted to 8 or 9 and 10 and 11 for Gain/Stab.

I went back to a local area - which I found a piece only a week or so ago, only 10 meters away from this same spot, there was some hot rocks on top of the ground so I wanted to see how they respond to all types of ground. Also some thick red clays in this same area.

First target - hah ground noise hot rocks - these things are quite responsive

Second Target 2 meter to the left - Hah again ground noise, mind starts thinking a bit now - so use to the little chatters from the analogue - this thing is like nothing nothing nothing then boom. Even though it is ground noise still amazed by the difference.

So here I am first target ground noise hot rocks, second target ground noise hot rocks, another meter to the left third target and the response was very similar to the previous ground noise, but appeared more solid, so I scratched the top and the signal was indeed getting more solid.

I am amazed how this machine responds and the sensitivity and depth of these Coiltek Elite Mono's - my 3500 has done excellent over the years but there is no way my 3500 with the DD Coil would have hit this third target. I was there a week or so ago and I know the exact spot I searched the ground with the DD Pro on GP3500 - it was along this fallen tree and in clear open ground.

Unfortunately my camera had gone flat in my bag, when I pulled this third target out and got the camera - flat as - Grrrr annoyed not to be able to have captured the first target removed with the GPX4500 - best thing I could do was leave the dirt on the target and bring it home to get a picture.

1. How awesome is that - within minutes of arriving with no expectations just to get a feel and listen to the machine - unearthed this little bad boy. I am going to test this same piece back out there with the GP3500 and DD Pro - just to be sure. Even though the ground has now been disturbed I should still be able to get a close response.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/8504/1481882947_pic_0214.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/8504/1481882947_pic_0215.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/8504/1481882947_pic_0216.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/8504/1481882947_pic_0217.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/8504/1481882947_pic_0218.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/8504/1481882960_pic_0219.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/8504/1481882960_pic_0220.jpg

Managed to get this piece to also stand on its side for some images - can see where the inclusions of ironstone would have been back in its earlier days. Might even put this one under the microscope - see the stepped inclusion interesting to see this under the big eye.

Also over the next coming days - I will be putting up some details for GP3500 vs GPX4500 with Coiltek 14" DD Pro - Coiltek 14" Elite Mono - Coiltek 14" Anti Interference

Happy Hunting this weekend to all.

Hi Minelab Gold, looks like you really had a good start.
Just hoping you can help.

Can you send me your setting for the 4500. Mine just appears to is great at hot rocks but not much else.

Cheers

HarryHoudini said:

I will just go out to the vehicle and check the settings - as mentioned though it was only a quick test in such short time. Sounded smooth and well to be honest to find a 0.85g piece at 10 inches is quite nice. After using the GP3500 for many many years only months after the release of the 3500 I have stuck with it - so you get use to signals, sounds, response, settings etc etc and most of all after digging thousands of pieces of gold - it also gets locked in the brain on depth and target size vs target response etc etc.

When I pulled this piece out - I couldnt believe it really - it was like that just doesnt seem right, never happened on the GP3500 so my assumption is indeed what has been highly stated with the GPX4500 and Coiltek Elite - absolute dynamite.

Back in 5 minutes

HarryHoudini said:
Can you send me your setting for the 4500. Mine just appears to is great at hot rocks but not much else.

Cheers

Hi Harry,

Here are the settings for that 0.85g piece at 10 inches, with the Coiltek 14" Elite Mono

After initial turning the machine on and manual tuning the EMI or Auto which ever suits - then a ground balance - adjusted the Gain and Stab up at least 2 increments and changed the tracking to Medium, I also adjust the Volume up to 17.

All other settings were pretty much this - just needed to adjust the Threshold up - didnt do this while I was out there, all buttons on the opposite side to the LCD are exactly like they were when I collected the machine.

1481889735_pic_0223.jpg

GB Type - Gen
SPECIAL - EXTRA
MAN TUNE - 110
MOTION - V SLOW
RX GAIN - 7
AUDIO - NRM
AUDIO TONE - 57
STABILIZER - 9
SIGNAL - 17
TARGET VOL - 17
RESPONSE - NRM
TRACKING - MEDIUM
IRON REJ - OFF

I was experiencing the usual hot rock sounds from the high iron concentration in the rocks - but was easily discarded after digging 6 inches and removing the concentration of the rocks - and checking to be sure. No matter what ground balance you do you can only get rid of certain concentrations of high mineralized ground. Red Clays a lot different usually it will balance this out - Also with Mono more so sensitive to this type of ground.

toecutta said:
They respond lots different don't they! :)
Well done Sensei.. many more to come I am sure :)

Toecutta,

Well all the stories and things we read about, yeah yeah my GP3500 rocks - GPX new technology sure sure, marketing and promoting tactics SDC - GPZ what ever my GPX is killer. There is no doubt a GPZ and SDC would be excellent machines - SDC very versatile and fine gold, GPZ everything all in one

I have been one to always stay up with the latest technology but for some reason stuck with the GP because it served me very well, and indeed has had some amazing finds along the way.

We all need to push ourselves sometimes to buy these new toys, no matter how many times we read or see the results we still can't be sure until witnessing first hand, testing first hand or even purchasing and testing for ourselves. GPX 4500 Sold it for me today - it was like how the hell can that come from a hole this deep

This combination is an absolute standout - GPX4500 Coiltek Elite Mono 14

Respond a lot different - super quiet just with that hum - my GP would be chattering away to me little frequent warbles is it is it is it nah - this thing is like hum hum hum boom

MG, I lift the pitch a few notches higher.
When setup all you get is a slight mozzie buzz.
Pinging bits of lead 5 mm big at 8 inches easily.
17x13 Evo Coil.
4500 absolutely blew me away after I worked out my settings. LOL

Thanks Tathradj,

I was trying to get the thing humming better - stupid me being so excited to get out and turn it on, tuned away, balanced, then straight away onto the LCD to scroll away. Adjusting the Volume, Gain, Stab and some others, and I was trying to get the thing to hum a bit more - the threshold was super low. Damn front panel - good on me. I was like where the hell is the threshold and other settings, ah well lets swing away and see how it goes.

Then when I arrived back at the car and sat the machine down - Hah how funny that they put buttons on the front panel like the GP3500 - wow what a rookie error that was.

Still funny though and another story to add to my prospecting adventures. Even with the settings not dialed in for 100% accuracy on the grounds, soils, depth advantage and it still got that piece at 10 or so inches.

Over this weekend will be great to test the GP3500 vs GPX4500 vs all of the coils 14" DD PRO, 14" ELITE MONO and 14" Anti Interference - with not only gold targets but also will look at surface area targets, solid targets vs surface area.

17x13 Evo or Evo's for that matter are very deadly coils.

Regards M.G

MG. Congrats on getting the 4500 & 14 Elite.
Great result on your first swing.
Just think of all those places you can go back over.
You must be thrilled.
Happy hunting this weekend.
I look forward to reading all about how you go.
Cheers Dignit

Thanks Dig'n-it,

Its amazing what a group day or 2 can bring :) - seeing how I setup the test grounds with the GP3500 and the 14" DD Pro with some targets just on threshold level, and 2 targets just out of reach, to see you guys with the GPX4500's and 5000 smash these targets with all size coils even the 11" Elite Mono of yours was absolute amazing. Thats why I chose to venture along the GPX path.

Was lucky today on that one within 10 or so minutes - lol

Will be sure to post up my testings and findings this weekend.

Enjoy and all the best - not long now till you get to hit the fields :)

Minelab Gold said:
Thanks Tathradj,

I was trying to get the thing humming better - stupid me being so excited to get out and turn it on, tuned away, balanced, then straight away onto the LCD to scroll away. Adjusting the Volume, Gain, Stab and some others, and I was trying to get the thing to hum a bit more - the threshold was super low. Damn front panel - good on me. I was like where the hell is the threshold and other settings, ah well lets swing away and see how it goes.

Then when I arrived back at the car and sat the machine down - Hah how funny that they put buttons on the front panel like the GP3500 - wow what a rookie error that was.

Still funny though and another story to add to my prospecting adventures. Even with the settings not dialed in for 100% accuracy on the grounds, soils, depth advantage and it still got that piece at 10 or so inches.

Over this weekend will be great to test the GP3500 vs GPX4500 vs all of the coils 14" DD PRO, 14" ELITE MONO and 14" Anti Interference - with not only gold targets but also will look at surface area targets, solid targets vs surface area.

17x13 Evo or Evo's for that matter are very deadly coils.

Regards M.G
Nice nugget MG. What you've written is exactly why I tell people to try not to get too hung up on settings, get the detector running nice and smooth and it will ping gold if you get the coil over it. As long as you get the threshold at the right level and use the right timing then even just the presets will work fine.

Looking forward to it. Had a little story myself today. Not a good one but turned okay . Lost my keys ( oh shit 3 hrs from home ) found em only a couple of meters from the car. To say I was relieved is an understatement .

Hi All,

As you all know now having the GPX4500 with the Coiltek Elite Mono 14 - after the trial test yesterday for only a brief moment and hitting that little piece within 5 minutes.

Well today was another day that I was looking forward to running it through some extensive tests, perfect weather we also had. So I ventured back to the spot where I have spent a lot of time in the last 4 to 5 weeks, hitting as much of the area as possible with the GP3500 and DD Pro 14 Coil. Still on the running streak of continuous finds everyday in this area. So was today going to give up some more of the good stuff, only time would tell.

As I arrived to the area and walked the trusty old path to get to this spot, I was very relaxed and looking forward to what the day would bring. When I arrived to the general location, as usual topped up the fluids after the lengthy walk. Just soaking up the atmosphere - peaceful just with the sounds of the large flying insect things in the tree's - I think they look like large flies but maybe they are a type of cicada - all I know is they are big and make some weird noises.

Well time to fire the beast up, GPX4500 Initialized and ready for some dialing in.

As I focused on one area testing out the various functions, there was no possible way I can operate this thing in Normal in the area I was at - Enhance it is and got the machine very stable, threshold to the perfect hum.

Time to test this thing out lets hit the fields and cover this ground as consistent as I can - this area and most spots that I covered today have been well covered with the GP3500 and DD Pro - I know that all these spots were covered because I cleaned the sticks and compost out of the low lying area's.

The first 2 signals that I had were very noticeable - look guys what I will do here is explain today's findings and just paste all the images because there is too many images to go through and write a full detailed image style post.

I will summarize the best I can - the GPX4500 with the Coiltek absolutely smashed the fields today - I also had the GP3500 in field with me, and when I had 4 targets that were noticeable with GPX and Elite Mono - I left them in the ground and fired up the GP3500 with the DD Pro - and there we go the GP3500 Couldnt even see them. Even when the targets were removed the GP3500 with the DD Pro could only just hear them when they were touching the coil, and still only then they were very faint, where as the Coiltek Elite Screamed when they were touching.

I put the Coiltek Elite onto the GP3500 - and well this coil is absolutely outstanding to say the least, the GP3500 running in Normal with Mono threshold up a little and it hit every target that was still in the ground, so the DD Pro couldnt see them and was extremely poor even when touching the targets on the coil.

The GP3500 with the Coiltek Elite Mono 14 was running very smooth - handled the grounds well, no EMI coming through - very stable and punched down to these targets, was it a loud signal - not as much as the GPX4500 - but it was a diggable target. And the ground balance on this Litz wound Mono Elite was super fast on the ground balance.

Anyway I will post up the images for you all to have a look at - any holes that you see with the targets out - shows you the ground type, depth of hole and target removed. Some pics may just be boring to you, not much in them except Dirt/Clay etc - I was trying to get Ground Type, Hole and Soil type, Target either just in the hole before it was removed, then target out of the hole in the pile, depth of holes with Pick in some as gauge, some interesting finds plenty of kinder surprises in todays finds.

1481973455_pic_0224.jpg

1481973455_pic_0225.jpg

1481973455_pic_0226.jpg

1481973456_pic_0227.jpg

1481973469_pic_0228.jpg

1481973469_pic_0229.jpg

1481973469_pic_0230.jpg

1481973469_pic_0231.jpg

1481973469_pic_0232.jpg

1481973484_pic_0233.jpg

1481973484_pic_0234.jpg

1481973484_pic_0235.jpg

1481973484_pic_0236.jpg

1481973484_pic_0237.jpg

1481973499_pic_0238.jpg

1481973499_pic_0239.jpg

1481973499_pic_0240.jpg

1481973499_pic_0241.jpg

1481973499_pic_0242.jpg

1481973516_pic_0243.jpg

1481973516_pic_0244.jpg

1481973516_pic_0245.jpg

1481973516_pic_0246.jpg

1481973517_pic_0247.jpg

1481973533_pic_0248.jpg

1481973533_pic_0249.jpg

1481973533_pic_0250.jpg

1. These were the images of the targets I tested with the GPX4500 and Coiltek Elite - then tested with the GP3500 and DD Pro - with no luck on interpreting as a signal - 2 here and one to the right which is the Second Image with the Arrow. When the Elite Coil was put on the 3500 it hit these targets - not as loud as the 4500 but still a solid target that would stop you.
1481973533_pic_0252.jpg

1481973534_pic_0253.jpg

2. Pics continued - oh the 3 previous targets that I tested before digging them up were all Gold
1481973552_pic_0254.jpg

1481973552_pic_0255.jpg

1481973552_pic_0256.jpg

1481973553_pic_0257.jpg

1481973553_pic_0258.jpg

1481973568_pic_0259.jpg

1481973568_pic_0260.jpg

1481973568_pic_0261.jpg

1481973569_pic_0262.jpg

1481973569_pic_0263.jpg

1481973584_pic_0264.jpg

1481973584_pic_0265.jpg

1481973584_pic_0266.jpg

1481973584_pic_0267.jpg

1481973584_pic_0268.jpg

1481973600_pic_0269.jpg

1481973600_pic_0270.jpg

1481973600_pic_0271.jpg

1481973600_pic_0272.jpg

1481973600_pic_0273.jpg

1481973616_pic_0274.jpg

1481973616_pic_0275.jpg

1481973616_pic_0276.jpg

1481973616_pic_0277.jpg

1481973616_pic_0279.jpg

1481973632_pic_0280.jpg

1481973632_pic_0281.jpg

1481973632_pic_0282.jpg

1481973632_pic_0283.jpg

1481973632_pic_0286.jpg

1481973647_pic_0287.jpg

1481973647_pic_0288.jpg

1481973647_pic_0289.jpg

1481973647_pic_0290.jpg

1481973647_pic_0291.jpg

Arrived Home - Photo's of the finds
1481973697_pic_0292.jpg

Gold all cleaned up looks great - some nice looking little pieces
1481973698_pic_0293.jpg

1481973698_pic_0294.jpg

1481973698_pic_0295.jpg

1481973698_pic_0296.jpg

1481973733_pic_0297.jpg

1481973733_pic_0298.jpg

Today I only dug 4 targets that were not Gold - 2 Lead - 1 Rust - And one target I cant display for certain reasons

Today was almost like take a step dig gold, take a step dig gold. This combination of the GP or GPX and Elite coil is truly amazing. 13 Pieces of Gold today and the smallest was 0.015g 0.08g 0.09g - and the depths with this coil - 1 inch 2 inches for this size gold is great. even the larger pieces 0.5g 1.2g the depth was great.

Now with the largest piece found today and all pieces I know 80% of these the GP3500 with the DD Pro hit this ground with no luck. The GPX4500 had no problems at all

My conclusion without a true depth test between the GPX4500 and GP3500 - is that the DD Pro will live in the cupboard from now on. The GP3500 would have hit maybe 80% of what the GPX Hit today if it had the Elite Coil on it.

Now I will be upgrading the GP3500 with an Elite Coil - maybe look at the 11" Coiltek Elite Mono, less ground noise being a smaller coil and will handle the mineralized ground a lot better as well as EMI, this also gives it the potential of a more sensitive coil.

Again great day - and I really enjoyed the way the GPX4500 and Elite coil talks

Enjoy the pics - hope you all had a fun time in the fields today - and all the best tomorrow.

Well done on your new detector.by the looks of it your going to be very busy going over all the old spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts